How to ween yourself off sugar?

Options
124»

Replies

• Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Stop cold turkey. After a couple weeks your body will adjust and you won't crave it.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes or another medical condition, there is no reason to track or limit your sugar intake. Sugar is a carb. Track your overall carbs.

I just love this kind of thinking, so common amoung the "calories in/calories out, quality of food doesn't matter" crowd.... even though a diet too high in sugar can CAUSE type II diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc, why reduce sugar to PREVENT illlness? Keep eating sugar like a mad man/woman and then deal with the damage later. But I guess that's the kind of thinking that keeps big pharma happy. Brilliant.

I am severely metabolically damaged from years of low fat, high carb, calorie restricted dieting (which led to binge eating disorder) and following a "healthy" grain based diet most of my life. Now I have to eat a very restricted diet to repair the damage. Wouldn't prevention be easier? I think so.
    prove it can cause diabetes, cancer, heart disease, ect, cause I bet you that it being over weight-obese that does. Trust me there will be no damage later because a)to lose weight its cals in and cals out and b) I go by if it fits into my macro's. c) also the orginal quote said never said go crazy, but to keep in mind sugar is a carb and track your over all carbs
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    I'm in the process right now of giving up fast food, which I know isn't sugar but most addictions work the same.

The only way I could do it was to just stop eating it for a long period of time. I decided that I wasn't going to eat a single bite of fast food during May and so far I've kept up with that. Next month, I'll allow myself to get fast food once per month. After that, it'll be twice per month and that's it.

Maybe you should try doing something similar with sugar. Cut it out completely (and I don't mean fruits or sugar naturally found in foods) for a month. Then give yourself an allowance after that month is up because, honestly, there's no reason to never eat another candy bar in your life.

Basically, it's easiest (for me) to just go cold turkey. Otherwise I make excuses and slide back into bad habits.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist told me what ANDYISANDY said. I don't know, I thought if you track your carbs and don't go over, that takes care of the sugar also. But anyway I couldn't do it that way because every carb I logged would be from sugar.

Several friends on MFP told me to keep within my macros and havae that calorie deficit that was set up for me and not worry about the sugar - calories in calories out, but we are wise and won't over do this thing now will we???? Once I hit that carb number I know I'm finished with the sugar for the day. But still, I had to do something more drastic.
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that foods can be addictive. I also know that it is not simply a matter of willpower for many, many people. Those that think dieting is easy for everyone is sadly mistaken. We all have our demons - if you find dieting easy, well, then I guess food isn't yours. I have a relative that can diet without any effort - ask them to stop drinking....not gonna happen.

I like the doing it gradually approach. What I find the hardest is giving up artificial sweetners...I love my coffee, but I don't like it black!

Remember, eating bread, starchy veggies, most processed foods will give you a hit of sugar. You have to wean yourself off all sources of sugar or the cravings will never retreat.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    move more or take in less calories.

there is nothing wrong with sugar
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes or another medical condition, there is no reason to track or limit your sugar intake. Sugar is a carb. Track your overall carbs.

I just love this kind of thinking, so common amoung the "calories in/calories out, quality of food doesn't matter" crowd.... even though a diet too high in sugar can CAUSE type II diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc, why reduce sugar to PREVENT illlness? Keep eating sugar like a mad man/woman and then deal with the damage later. But I guess that's the kind of thinking that keeps big pharma happy. Brilliant.

I am severely metabolically damaged from years of low fat, high carb, calorie restricted dieting (which led to binge eating disorder) and following a "healthy" grain based diet most of my life. Now I have to eat a very restricted diet to repair the damage. Wouldn't prevention be easier? I think so.

the initial cause of those illnesses is being sustained hypercaloric diet while being obese.
    secondary cause is macronutrient intake.(sugar, fats)
    other causes are genetic.

Your metabolic damage or health problems are a result of your choice of lifestyle. It is not the macronutrients fault.

It is initially being hypercaloric. not sugar. People forget to mention the fact of being overweight is the original cause.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Stevia - I love it! I never use sugar now.
    **** that. the abdominal cramp i got from eating that sucked too much. Splenda doesnt give me that problem(I dont think it does).
    I would rather take in regular sugar
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is true.....but there is something wrong with too much sugar. Simply saying a calorie is a calorie is flat out wrong. You also need to watch what you are eating.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options

My experiences is that:

1. Once I start eating something high in sugar it is hard to stop until it is gone. The same is not true of potatoes which are also carbs.
    2. Eating sugar causes rebound hunger.

There is also the theory eating food which causes spikes in blood sugar and forces the body to respond with a similar spike in insulin promotes insulin resistance. So what's the difference between insultin resistance and type two diabetes? Only whether the insulin resistance has reached the point where the pancreas is unable to make any further increase to the inulin level to compensate for the reduced sensitivity because it is already working flat out. That's when the cronic high blood sugar is detectable but the problem will have been creeping up for years.

I'd definitely try to avoid eating much in the way of added sugar. Start with not adding sugar yourself to anything and eat only fruit as sweet treats. If you can avoid having sugary treats in the house and make sure you're not hungry when you go shopping. Avoid buying deserts with added sugar and then start looking carefully at the ingredients of other things.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

The best method of weaning may be the two-step. The first step involves preventing the person from sucking down sugar, while still allowing them to drink and graze on other sweet products. The second step is actual separation of the person from their sugar.

In testing at the University of Saskatchewan, this two-step process reduced weaning stress on people compared to traditional weaning methods. That was the surprise development in a recent weaning study at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon, Canada, designed to investigate the person distress caused by traditional weaning methods.

Typically, weaning involves breaking up a person/sugar pair and moving each to a separate location. The person shows dramatic behavior changes at this time.People spend lots of time and energy bawling and walking as they search for sugar. As a result, they spend significantly less time eating and ruminating compared to before weaning.
  • mamaChristine
    mamaChristine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to be the amazing baker I am today because I could say no to sweets. ;)

I have been a sugar addict my whole life. I am very fortunate to have a high metabolism due to genetics, but as I near 40 reality is catching up on me. I recently gained 10lb in a month because I could not keep myself from snacking on everything (except real food) all evening.

I'm now on day 6 of the 21 Day Sugar Detox plan (I didn't pay for it) and have already noticed a big difference. If I have guidelines in place I will follow them, the idea of just saying no doesn't work for me. I never would have thought to cut out grains and starches if I had tried to do this on my own.

I have figured out how to space my eating through the day so that I am not over eating when I have to deal with my hunger at the end of the day. I have also already dropped 5 of those pounds while eating 1500-1800 calories a day. My long term sinusitis has also almost disappeared.

I can't promise I will live within this plan beyond the 3 weeks, but I will make more of an effort to maintain the good eating habits I am learning.
  • helpme2motivate
    Options
    im on day 9 of no sugar not absoulutely none but no soft drink no lollies etc its proving difficult but I figure if I matain my balanced diet and exercise the odd drink here and there or lollie etc isn't so bad.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There is one thing that has not been mentioned here.
    The people who say unless you have a medical condition you don't need to limit sugar
    Well ok, but.......

Sugar has calories. Sugar is not a nutrient. It contains no nutrition.
    Referred to as 'empty' calories

A teaspoon of it has about 17 calories. 10 spoons like that a day.
    Lots of people have more. Remember it's hidden everywhere.

There's 170 calories that could have gone to a nutritious food.
    Nutritious food makes people feel better. And keeps them fuller longer.
    And is just plain healthier.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

The best method of weaning may be the two-step. The first step involves preventing the person from sucking down sugar, while still allowing them to drink and graze on other sweet products. The second step is actual separation of the person from their sugar.

In testing at the University of Saskatchewan, this two-step process reduced weaning stress on people compared to traditional weaning methods. That was the surprise development in a recent weaning study at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon, Canada, designed to investigate the person distress caused by traditional weaning methods.

Typically, weaning involves breaking up a person/sugar pair and moving each to a separate location. The person shows dramatic behavior changes at this time.People spend lots of time and energy bawling and walking as they search for sugar. As a result, they spend significantly less time eating and ruminating compared to before weaning.

LOLZ

The actual quote
    The best method of weaning calves may be the two-step. The first step involves preventing the calves (still with the cows) from sucking, while still allowing them to drink and graze. The second step is actual separation of the calves from their dams.

In testing at the University of Saskatchewan, this two-step process reduced weaning stress on calves compared to traditional weaning methods. That was the surprise development in a recent weaning study at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon, Canada, designed to investigate the calf distress caused by traditional weaning methods.

Typically, weaning involves breaking up a cow/calf pair and moving each to a separate location. Both the cows and calves show dramatic behavior changes at this time.

Calves/People , Cows/Sugar

Tomato/Tomahto
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use stevia so much it's ridiculous. Total sweet tooth. But at least it's not sugar! (and all natural!)
  • chantellove
    chantellove Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Overeaters Anonymous for compulsive eaters like myself. Like AA, it works if you work it.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    1. don't have the crap in your house if you can't control yourself. Let's be honest, biscuits etc are crap junk food. They are fine in moderation, but if you can't moderate yourself then don't have them around!

2. don't restrict yourself to 0. Account for a little bit every day and buy JUST that amount from the corner store on THAT day. I have a killer chocolate addiction and I would not be able to help myself if there was a block around; it had no chance. I instead would buy a small bar from the corner shop and (try) to account for it in my calorie count. The times I told myself I wouldn't/couldnt'/shouldn't were the times I ate one anyway and went over my count.

3. Get good quality, fresh fruit. I hated apples in Australia but here in Japan I am addicted to them. Why? They are frozen in storage in Aus for quite some time before being sold in most major supermarkets, where as here in Japan they are really fresh (hence why they are $1.50each!). BUT mixed in with some plain yoghurt and cinnamon it tastes like a fancy dessert to me now :)

I can now have chocolate laying around and stop after a small amount (95% of the time). I have made AMAZING progress.

Just get it OUT OF THE HOUSE so you can't get to it. That is the first and most important step!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I saw the word sugar, so felt the need to post here.

I love sugar so I eat sugar. I just don't eat as much of it as I ate before.