Help! I'm ruining everything!

Options
I just recently started working at a Baskin Robbins....which seemed like a good idea at the time, because I needed money and they were hiring. But ever since I started working, I've eaten so much ice cream just thinking about it makes me sick. I always feel horrible after eating it, and I tell myself I won't eat as much next time........yet I go back and end up eating wayyyy too much. I've gained almost 8 pounds since I started working and it's so frustrating! Before, I had just reached my first goal weight, and I was in such good shape. But I've eaten away all my hard work
How do you fight the urge to eat when you're constantly surrounded by ice cream? :(

Replies

• sparrow0716
    Options
    It sounds so weird, but chew gum while you work or brush your teeth before you clock in. Dairy doesn't taste so good with mint!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You don't. You get a new job.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You'll get over it.

In the meantime. Eat before you go to work. Everytime. Then take some fruit with you and eat that as a snack. Then whatever ice cream you want to eat that day take it home with you. Don't let yourself eat while you're there. Tell yourself its "unprofessional". Then pack only a little bit a serving as dessert for after you get home and have lunch or dinner.

then enjoy it after lunch or dinner.

if you are working out, I don't see how a little daily ice cream can't fit in your cals for the day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It sounds so weird, but chew gum while you work or brush your teeth before you clock in. Dairy doesn't taste so good with mint!

Is that why mint 'n chip ice cream is so unpopular?
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Take a snack bag of healthy nuts, berries, fruit, pickles, grapes, egg whites, or wheat berries to work with you and when you feel the urge to have ice cream pull out your healthy snack to eat. You will be much happier with yourself. It will get easier each time you eat healthy because you will tell yourself, I can do this. Best of luck on your journey!
  • sparrow0716
    Options

Is that why mint 'n chip ice cream is so unpopular?

Probably. It's one of my personal favorites, but it's hard to eat when you have gum in your mouth period. I chew it while cooking, studying, etc. I agree with other posters though that eating on the job is really unprofessional. I'd also look up the calories for each ice cream BR sells. If there's one that's less in calories that you could take home with you, maybe you could relish your ice cream cravings at home once or twice a week, scaling back on cup size every time.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.. I got my first job in a Deli a few months ago, and Starbucks was right across the parking lot! Some days I'd work 10 - 12 hours and I ended up making bffs with the manager of Starbucks on my breaks/lunch.. I got a free 24oz full fat Caramel Frappe with whip and sprinkles each time.. Thats 600 calories, and I had one 2 - 3 times a day.

Since then I've learned to get non-fat, no whip or sprinkles and only one pump of caramel, 270 cals. :flowerforyou:
    Goodluck !
  • DawnOfRose
    Options
    Someone said you'll get over wanting to eat it all the time, you won't.
    I worked in a bakery for 8 years and I never got sick of it, find tricks that work for you or quit.
    I never did come up with a trick to stop myself ;-(

Good luck! You'll need it :-)
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning towards the "look for another job" option. In the meantime, maybe slam some vick vaporub under your nose while you're at work. Works a treat for me when I am going somewhere with tempting foods.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning towards the "look for another job" option. In the meantime, maybe slam some vick vaporub under your nose while you're at work. Works a treat for me when I am going somewhere with tempting foods.

lmbo!! Im gonna try this!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I don't know if anyone's suggested it, but check out the calories in the amount you're consuming. I used to be a soda drinker because I had easier access to it than water. I began logging my food not too long ago and when I saw just how calorie-heavy a small cup of Pepsi was, I ended up giving up soda in general.

Now my diary's back on track and I feel much, much better! Good luck!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options

Thanks for sharing, this is ingenious! I might buy a travel size to slip in my purse for the tempting times! :laugh:
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    self control..it's not something that comes naturally. You practice it--every time your exercise it you get better at it.