Beginner Runner

Options
I have always fantasized of getting up in the morning and going for a run, or using running as stress reliever. However, I have terrible endurance. In fact, at my best I'm a jogger, not a runner. When I was thin, I loved to run but I never did it for long periods of time. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to work my way up to being a well conditioned runner? As of right now I feel like I'm going to die when I try to run for more than 45 seconds. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Replies

• mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you have a Smart phone you can download any number of free apps called "C25K"

That stands for Couch - to - 5K. Most of the apps follow a 9 week training program, 3 days per week.

Week 1 is typically a 5 minute warm-up, then jog 1 minute, walk 1.5 minutes, and repeat. The app will prompt you when to walk and when to jog and when to start your cool down.

Each week you get progressively more jog time and less walk time. By Week 9 you will actually be running a full 5K!

I did it last summer and was successful at running for the first time in my life. Started training in June and on Sept 5 2012 ran my first 5k (3.2 miles).

I am repeating the training this year, just finished Week 1, and my race is on Sept 7.
  • dillonrmccarthy
    Options
    depends on the type of person you are. Last week I ran over 1 mile (im a sprinter by training) for the first time ever, and ran at a 6'25" pace. But im sure its because of my intense fitness training. Id start with slow controlled runs 3-5 days a week, and one day of speed workout (between three to five 400-800 meter runs) each week.
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just 7 short weeks ago I was in your exact shoes. I always made fun of my husband for being a runner lol. I was getting my exercise in with an hour walk every day, one day he said "just try it". I managed about 45secs and had to stop, the next day I did the same, but twice on my walk. Each day I would try a little longer and more times. In 6 weeks I ran my 1st 5k race and although I was slow, I ran every step. Running can be very addicting, a little frustrating, and extremely rewarding. The couch25k app is great, I just wanted to go at my own pace. Feel free to add me, I'm training for a 10k now.
  • ladyjay71
    ladyjay71 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned before I would recommend C25K, excellent app even for those who don't plan on running races, I use it to get my pace. Good luck!