How to stop food snacking?

Options
Hello everybody. So last year, I used MFP and started on a strict diet. I lost about 5 lbs then gave up because I felt like I couldn't do it anymore, I started eating bad foods again, no support, etc. This time I'm back and I want to really stick with it this time. One reason why I never stick with losing weight is because I crave and start to snack on unhealthy foods or snack on too much food in general. Does anybody have any tips on how to stop snacking or healthy foods to snack on during the day?

Thank you!

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi - Yeah :) I can tell you what works for me. If I were not watching my eating, I'd be eating pizza, fried chicken, deserts, etc.. so what I did was decide I was going to make food changes forever. I chose to eat healthier choices of food, and not even take one taste because that would trigger me wanting more. I heard it takes 3 weeks to get over a craving (cold turkey I think which is not even eating one bite of it).. seems to be working.

Specifically, I would NOT eat whatever tempts you that are "bad" things like sweets, sugarry food, fried food, comfort food, or other things that you feel are screwing your weight up.. instead you have to substitute other healthy foods, and when you do, your tastes will change and THAT is the secret.

I learned these things on Dr Fuhrman's Eat for Life, and I am following it about 80% and so far have lost weight and i do not crave those bad things.

You have to choose good things that dont make you feel deprived or like this is drugery, i went to a vegetarian website and they had all these good pics of really yummy looking food, thats the key! finding good food and mkae it taste good so you wont crave the bad stuff.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Food isn't "good" or "bad". It's food. If you like it, eat it. If you don't like it, avoid it. That's my only tip. Eat what you like as long as it fits your calorie goal. Watch serving sizes. Don't restrict yourself to the point that you give up after a couple weeks because you're not eating in a manner that you can continue the rest of your life.
  • daveykeller1
    Options
    Snacking is actually good for you and encouraged. What I do to keep snacking healthy is 1. carry a piece of fruit or some raw nuts around with me. 2 keep a water bottle in my purse. ( Most of the time when we think we are hungry we are actually thirsty. ) 3. If you do eat something "bad" for you don't stress it and feel as if you've kicked your whole diet out the window. Shrug it off (or work it off) and keep on going.
  • MustangUSN
    MustangUSN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Food isn't "good" or "bad". It's food. If you like it, eat it. If you don't like it, avoid it. That's my only tip. Eat what you like as long as it fits your calorie goal. Watch serving sizes. Don't restrict yourself to the point that you give up after a couple weeks because you're not eating in a manner that you can continue the rest of your life.

My thoughts exactly. I visited a nutritionist who helped me evaluate my TDEE - Total Daily Expended Energy - and then she set my calories and my carbs, etc. in MFP...she turned me on to MFP. I eat the same things I ate before though with the accountability to MYSELF in MFP, I know where I'm at all the time. Now, with that in mind, I have taken a look at WHAT I eat and look for healthier options. Example - can't live with out my "tube steaks" (hot dogs), so choose the Hebrew National 97% fat free at 45 cal vs. the ones my hubby was eating at 260 cal each! For the bun, opt for the Sara Lee 80 cal or 110 cal, vs. the 220 cal my hubby uses (a stadium bun). It is not rocket science and since I don't deny myself anything, I'm eating as I will eat in maintenance, so it will be easier once I reach my goal. And slow and steady is the best way to lose...let's your body shrink as you do....tighten up. Also, adding exercise into the mix adds calories to your daily total in MFP...that you can eat back if you wish. I began with just walking and still do mostly walking, treadmill or outside, doesn't matter. Short walks (10 minutes to shop at lunch vs. getting in the car) or long walks of 60 minutes with my BFFs on occasion. Even choices at fast food places nowadays is easier....heck, I was in a pinch, out with my husband in an area far from our home and he thought Jack in the Box might have some options for me...was I SURPRISED to find that they have added the calories next to EVERYTHING on their overhead menu...I had the fajita chicken pita...filling and 326 calories for lunch. YUM! So...the support can come from MFP...YOU have the POWER in YOUR HANDS!
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation! I haven't cut out any "junk" food and have still lost inches.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every day and have been maintaining/slowly losing that last little bit :)
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    but to answer your question, you need to plan snacks. I love to snack too, so I plan my snacks.

Today:

snack 1 small banana
    snack 2 1/2C kidney beans (I love them just plain so it's a good thing for me)
    snack 3 1/2apple and plain yoghurt and cinnamon
    snack 4 vanilla protein shake (no milk or anything)
    snack whenever: 2 pieces of dark chocolate (package separately).

I plan these in between meals every day and it's great KNOWING I can look forward to a snack and have 0 guilt factor involved.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation! I haven't cut out any "junk" food and have still lost inches.

Team ice cream daily!!!!
  • loosesealbluth
    loosesealbluth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I definitely have issues with snacking too much, but here's what helps me:

• Not keeping "temptations" in my apartment. I know for a fact that if I have chips and chocolate and all that in the cabinet, it will be gone in a heartbeat. I eat those foods pretty mindlessly (chasing the taste, I suppose), while I tend to only snack on fruit, etc. when I'm genuinely hungry. I do "indulge" now and again, but I try to do so away from my apartment (e.g. buying a single serving bag of chips at my uni between classes).

• Eating more filling foods. I've been working hard to cut out empty calories from my diet when possible. Scrambled eggs and cottage cheese, for example, keeps me full way longer than a bowl of cereal. I've found that adding protein and the works helps curb hunger and reduce snacking.

• Not eating out of boredom. This one is the absolute hardest. Being bored is usually what causes me to binge/snack excessively, and is something else I've been working on. If I feel the urge to snack out of pure boredom, I try to distract myself. I'll clean my apartment, go to the gym, go for a walk, paint my nails, invite a friend over – I try to do something productive/active (rather than going online or watching TV) to distract me. When it works, I always end up feeling twice as good because I avoided a binge and accomplished something productive!

Having said all that, I do snack a lot, still – I just try my hardest to only do it when I'm hungry (I've found that cutting out snacking altogether leads me to feel hungrier come meal time, which usually causes me to eat more than I otherwise would have). Snacking isn't bad at all, provided you're fitting the food into your calorie goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Snacking is usually habitual. People snack when they are bored, stressed, etc. Learn a different habit than snacking.

Moderation is the way to eat to keep from craving. While there are some who can succeed with complete abstinence from their favorite foods, it's usually not going to be a high success rate amongst the general population.

Stay within macros and calories and you should do just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • richard205
    richard205 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am switching to six smaller meals a day - some of them just protein shakes or healthy energy bars. This really helps control my snack cravings for things I shouldn't eat - although I do find that the late night cookie still gets me - especially if I miss one of the meals.
  • joycandelaria
    Options
    Great Book. Dr, Joel Fuhrman Eat to Live.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Snacking is usually habitual. People snack when they are bored, stressed, etc. Learn a different habit than snacking.

Moderation is the way to eat to keep from craving. While there are some who can succeed with complete abstinence from their favorite foods, it's usually not going to be a high success rate amongst the general population.

Stay within macros and calories and you should do just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^This PLUS, Exercise. Rather than sitting on the couch munching on junkfood, get up and walk around the block, lift a few heavy things, or simply get out and do some yardwork. We are far less likely to sit around munching if we are out and about doing thing... AND as an added bonus, this activity is adding to the calories we can afford to intake. One thing that we differ from with our ancestors is that they were outside doing things while we are inside taking it easy OR doing more mental things... That is a major difference between our generation and the many generations that preceded us.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options

Team ice cream daily!!!!

Team ice cream. Most definitely!
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I've learned that eating when I'm stressed DOES NOT make me feel less stressed, only more, because I have to figure out where I'm going to fit the extra calories in. Reading and contributing to forums on MFP is decreasing my stress a lot, even if I'm supposed to be studying for my exam tomorrow. :laugh:
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I've not read all the posts as i am sneaking in a MFP check at work but I am terrible for snacking so I plan
    I have hummus, sliced cold meat cream cheese or avocado in the fridge to have a combo on oat cakes or rice cakes in the fridge
    I have fruit, i have tea ( a wide variety but mint really helps with sugar cravings)
    I have nakd bars -cocoa - not the healthiest but satisfies cravings

so every day i can have 2 health snacks if i have the urge to snack
    if i fail and go and buy chocolate or crisps
    I try decide on a healthier substitute for next time - rice cake crisps over walkers etc and so i can be better next time without having to think to much about it.

hope this helps
    xx
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Snacking in itself isn't bad, the problem is what you eat and how much. I try to keep a variety of healthy snacks around and just don't buy unhealthy ones that will tempt me. It's good to have a choice of sweet and savoury to suit the mood - I like cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, red peppers or sliced apple, raspberries or strawberries. If you have these on hand in small tubs or bags then if you need a snack (and sometimes we do!) then there's something easy to grab.

When I'm tempted to snack out of boredom I try and find something to distract me or have a big drink of water. When I want a snack because my mouth wants something rather than my tummy needs something I clean my teeth as this tells my mouth that I've eaten and finished! Strange but it helps me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    willpower
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is the correct answer. "Strict" diets lead to failure. Reasonable diets that incorporate the foods you enjoy, while keeping a general eye on nutrition, lead to success.

I've lost 65 pounds, 14 inches off my waist, and I regularly eat a few pints of ice cream per week, and have been known to eat entire pizzas on occasion, as well as an entire bag of Frito ls with an entire container of dip (both store bought and homemade.)

Live your life, just keep in mind your overall goals.
  • singwrite
    singwrite Posts: 1
    Options
    Years of eating sweet things and starchy things had made me insulin resistant, and the only way to avoid having those irresistible urges to eat all the time was to stop sugar completely. It only took a short time to lose the urge for sugar, and now, when I feel hungry, I just feel hungry without the compulsive behavior, and I can stick to my plan. Also, having had cancer recently, I learned that sugar is the best fuel for cancer cells. I just can't stand to eat sugar now, thinking that any bad cells in my body are gorging on it.
    I know it sounds hard, but try going for 2 weeks without sugar or starchy foods like pasta, corn and bread. Also alcohol, especially beer and sweet cocktails.After your pancreas calms down, you should be able to eat starches again, in reason. However, sugar will always recreate the desperate urges to eat, as your insulin reaction to it is violent, and calls for food to balance the insulin. The good news is, that after stopping sugar, you really won't desire it or enjoy it much again.