anyone drink kefir?

Options
I swear I started drinking it and in combo with other things activity ect my belly is getting a bit flatter!

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Kefir is good. I tend to think of it as liquid yogurt.
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I typically use it in my morning smoothies.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    I like it, but wish I could find it unsweetened. It's so sugary. I drink 1/3 of a cup of it, in small sips throughout the day to help with heartburn. It seems to work, but I can't say for sure, as I started Apple Cider Vin at the same time for the same reason.

From what I have read, small amounts throughout the day is the way to do it, bc you want to keep those bacteria steady in your gut.
  • alecialudwickjones
    Options
    Every once in awhile I'll get some to drink and kids love kefir popsicles.
  • marinatan1982
    marinatan1982 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do. One cup at a time helps with digestion, heartburn, it's healthy and good for you. And I love the taste.

Check the nutrition though, the non-fat or low-fat plain one is the best, but sweetened ones with fruit are yummy :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I like it, but wish I could find it unsweetened. It's so sugary. I drink 1/3 of a cup of it, in small sips throughout the day to help with heartburn. It seems to work, but I can't say for sure, as I started Apple Cider Vin at the same time for the same reason.

From what I have read, small amounts throughout the day is the way to do it, bc you want to keep those bacteria steady in your gut.

just get regular plain yogurt & cut it with a bit of water
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    LOVE Kefir! Wish i wasn't so lactose intolerant though....:P
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    the kefir I purchased is lactose free lifeway is the brand
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I adore kefir but I only know of one place that sells it here :(
  • GingerLee13
    GingerLee13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've seen unsweetened/plain from Lifeway and Greek Gods. Ask your customer service at your local store if they'll stock it.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options

just get regular plain yogurt & cut it with a bit of water

Regular yogurt doesn't have the same amount of probiotics, unfortunately.

To those saying the can't find Lifeway- they sell it at ALDI.
  • CooperBaker
    CooperBaker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink Kefir water that I ferment myself. Same health benefits but it's water based and not dairy based. And by fermenting it myself I save tons of money since the kefir grains are reusable indefinitely (you just have to keep them alive). If you visit the website: http://www.culturesforhealth.com it has an incredible amount of information on how to ferment your own milk or water kefir as well as other products. They sell the kefir grains with a start up kit and helpful people on hand to answer any questions you may have.
  • ffhsanfran
    ffhsanfran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can use store-bought kefir as a starter to make more kefir. Pretty easy. Just add to room-warm milk. Leave outside covered 12 hours to 72 hours depending on what you like and the weather. The colder the weather the longer it takes. And the longer the wait is the more sour the taste. Then refrigerate. It won't go bad too easily.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am just brewing my first lot of water kefir. I've read that the longer you let it ferment the more sugar is used up...but also the alcohol content increases. I shall be disappointed if it's very sweet as. Don't like things too sweet :-/
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Then you've been reading silly stuff. Those bacterial colonies don't go anywhere unless you're having bad food poisoning. Also, once a healthy population exists, you don't get bonus points for ingesting more.

However, drink the hell out of it after some bad food poisoning.
  • CooperBaker
    CooperBaker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Note to "elizamc" - if you are brewing your own water kefir it is recommended you don't let your kefir grains sit longer than 48 hours. The grains feed off of the sugar so if you ferment longer than 48 hours you are potentially starving your grains and they will die out. Also the water will taste more sour than sweet. You may have already figured this out since it's been a few weeks since you posted your comment. Hope you're enjoying your water kefir.