Intruducing myself - One final effort into a healthy new me

Options
AmyZ46
AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
So I decided about a month ago that on June 3rd I would stop drinking soda. I love coke,To reiderate I LOVE COKE.

Originally my plan was to stop drinking soda because I wanted to have a gastric sleave surgery . I can not stand being overweight any longer. I'm uncomfortable this way - I have to fly every 3 weeks and sometimes, well people aren't that nice.

I have lost weight before, several times and then gained back 10 or 20 more afterward ,each and every time.I gained 30 lbs after each child (3) ,plus some extra through out the years. I'm an LPN . I know what needs to be done. I just haven't been successful.

This time something feels different .

I feel like the second I stopped drinking coke, there was a shift in my thought process.

I don't eat dessert every evening after meals because well , if I'm going to waste any calories for goodness sake it will be in Cokes(and I don't drink coke anymore)

I don't think I need a gastric sleeve anymore either - I 've only lost 11 lbs since the 3rd but I feel a confidence I have never felt before . I don't consider this a diet - I like the idea of eating healthier.
.A friend of mine suggested the app and I only just today logged onto the forum,in order to gain some inspiration from you guys.

Sorry I wrote a book ,
I'm 46 - starting weight 270 ( which I had no idea was so high) Goal at this time 170lbs

Did I mention I haven't had a coke in 2 weeks?:blushing:

Anyhow , I'm happy to have found like minded people and hope to contribute to your forum.

Replies

• FitCoachShawn
    FitCoachShawn Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You sound like me! Soda is my biggest enemy along with portion control!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/14158-lean-on-me
    Thats the link to an awesome group that is motivational and supportive!
    There is challenges, prizes, advice, most of all a great family!
    Hope you join and enjoy! 220+ members!
  • cindy5761
    cindy5761 Posts: 28
    Options
    Congrats on your 2 weeks a with out Coke!! I totally get it... I couldn't go without a Coke either...not diet but I drank regular Coke. My hubby and I were going to quit at the same time but I couldn't do it...it took me another 3 weeks to quit and that was almost 7 years ago......so you are on your way! Good luck!
  • jherrmann33
    jherrmann33 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on not drinking soda- it can be difficult- but you sound pretty motivated. I will tell you that my best friend stopped drinking coke a year ago and paired with exercise and eating better, she's lost 44 pounds! You have to be patient. I tell myself that anyway! Just because we know what to do doesn't mean we'll do it- like you said. It's key to take it day by day. Good luck to you!
    You can do this!:smile:
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi...It's never too late.....you said it...give up the pop and you don't look for sweets....all that sugar causes so many problems! You have to change your mind set. You are a knowledgeable human being....you know the best way to lose weight...you have to be mindful and put your health first...you are worth it!! Add me and we will support and set each other in the right direction...we are focused!!!
  • kaylaodoms
    kaylaodoms Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hello,
    i recently quit drinking soda also at first it was hard but after a while the craving goes away for the most part. I have replaced pop with unsweetened ice tea :) 170 is also my goal weight i have 28 pounds left for my first goal weight then another 30 pounds to be 170! for me 2 goals makes it easier to look at or complete then one big goal. I have lost 12 in 6 ish weeks!!
  • AmyZ46
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ,

I will join that group . I love little incintives along the way. Childish I know but hey, whatever works.

My smal goals are to loose 10 lbs every 6 weeks - Every time I leave the North slope I want to have lost ten pounds.(I work 3 weeks on 3 weeks off)

Thanks for your support and I am so excited !!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on kicking the habit & joining MFP! I lost 12 pounds a while ago just by not drinking Pepsi. I am 47 & have 150# to lose... I log and try to exercise at least 30 minutes every day, and my diary is open. Add me if you'd like!
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    It sounds like your goals are reasonable. 11 lbs so far is not a small accomplishment and you should feel very proud and excited about having such a great new outlook.

People here are really doing this. It's a wonderful community.

I think you have the right mindset. Because my priority right now is to eat a lot, I eschew things that aren't a good caloric bargain so that I can. When I am eating roasted, non-starchy vegetables and fruit (in moderation), I can eat large volumes of food all day and not go over my calorie goal.

Welcome!
  • MustangUSN
    MustangUSN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Okay, my first thought is to say that I LOVE MY DIET CHERRY COKE! (repeating this often and loudly is necessary). I weaned myself off Classic Coke years ago to Diet Coke, then to Diet Cherry Coke. Now I only drink Diet Coke or Diet Cherry Coke with those foods that "just go better with Coke." Like, pizza and hamburgers.

Now, I had never been overweight my entire life until I hit 50. I mean, I was one of those people who could eat anything and was a size 1 at 30 and a size 6 at 40 after having 2 sons. On on my 50th birthday, I went into menopause with my first hotflash ON my birthday. Each year I was gaining 10-20 lbs and the usual and customary mantra was that "women always gain weight after 50 and when going through menopause," which I found to be universal NOT TRUE. In my case, it took 5 years to get a diagnosis that I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis....my thyroid was dying. No Thyroid = No metabolism. Now, on medication, it'll take the same time to get it off that it took to get it on and I'm STILL going to have my DIET CHERRY COKE.

My point is....I was the right weight even having MY DIET CHERRY COKE. So that isn't the big issue...its HOW MUCH YOU HAVE, even of something that has NO CALORIES and how it affects YOU. Some people report that it makes them retain water. So, I limit myself BUT...DO NOT deny myself the guilty pleasure! I suggest you do the same....maybe it's the caffeine effect that you feel different from, then there is always caffeine free Diet Coke, which is what my sister drinks. Well, I don't do coffee, so Diet Cherry Coke is my vice!

I also use the MFP app and find it very helpful to have with me. I can look things up in the database on the spot and it helps me make better choices.
  • HeatSeeker61
    HeatSeeker61 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make your drink of choice water. I drink two cups or more of water at every meal and I divide my daily calories into five meals. A Coca-Cola is not a drink....it is a treat.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and misery. Three weeks clean, here. We can do it!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This is one thing I really don't get. I don't want it explained either, just sayin. If you can lose enough weight to get the operation why not just keep doing that? I read a story about a woman who had to lose 60 pounds to be able to qualify for the operation. Anyway, I don't think it's cheating or going the easy way, the opposite I think it's putting yourself through something unnecessary to get the same results as you would get by eating healthier and exercising.

Anyway, I am glad you are doing this in a way you can sustain. And if the cola cravings get to be too much there are always diet sodas.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    This is one thing I really don't get. I don't want it explained either, just sayin. If you can lose enough weight to get the operation why not just keep doing that? I read a story about a woman who had to lose 60 pounds to be able to qualify for the operation.

Exactly. I know a girl who never did get her eating under control after her lap-band surgery. She is still fat and she eats crap, then runs to the bathroom in a panic bc the nausea and diarrhea hit her almost immediately after consuming junk foods. She is always going to the doc to have more MRI's and tests bc she is in so much pain from her non-compliance. If you can't get your eating under control to create a calorie deficit, you likely can't get your eating under control to be post-weightloss-surgery-compliant.
  • AmyZ46
    Options
    Funnybunny ,

I say that too , I'm clean 2 weeks now . hahahha Last time I stopped drinking soda it lasted 3 months but it was difficult from day one . This time I don't crave it at all- but I am not drinking diet soda either.
  • willbeskliz
    Options
    I love Cherry coke - its so good. Haven't had one in about 3 months! Add me x
  • brandiepair
    brandiepair Posts: 104
    Options
    AmyZ46, I totally know what you mean!! I LOVE coke too. I am so proud of you, girl, for deciding to go about this the old fashioned way. My mom has had so many bariatric surgeries and nearly died several times so I get saddened by the thought of people going under the knife. I will add you!!
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello, Great job on no coke for 2 weeks!! I am trying to get off of 1 pop a day right now, it's kind of like quitting smoking 30 years ago. My mind is telling me I can't give up such a big part of life (which it isn't). There are days now that I don't have a pop so there is hope for me. The sugar count in pop is unreal and I don't need it:) I know your pain right now but keep it up and your body will thank you:)