To all you who have been exercising for 3+ months

Options
The 18th will mark my first month since i started exercising and eating healthy. I have almost reached my 10 lbs goal ( i have lost 9lbs as of now) . Yay! Soooooo my question for you all is Did you lose more weight your first month or maybe like 2nd or 3rd?
It kinda confuses me because i read someones post saying after a while into exercising , they started losing more weight each week. But some other people say they lost the most weight the first month because the exercising and a diet change was drastic. How about you?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've consistently been working out out since i was 18 and still gained weight.

weight loss is more about your eating habits than you exercise habits unless of course you are exercising for several hours a day 6 days a week
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I lost about 9 lbs my first month, into my second month now :) at 10.5 lbs as of right now and hoping for good results on my weigh in tomorrow :)
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    First month was 14 pounds - Second month was 10 pounds - I'm only 14 days into my 3rd month but its only about 3-5 pounds this month so far, so for me it is getting harder

But I only have 35 left to lose
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Been here for 675+ days (haven't missed a log in yet!)

I've been counting calories and working out for almost 2 years. I lost a lot the first few months, so far I'm at 64lbs lost. I'm losing slowly, but I love it.
    I not only use the elliptical at the gym, but also the weights.
    I don't do much "dieting" and eat a lot of "normal" food. Like today I had a chicken sandwich with mayo and pepper jack cheese with chips on the side for dinner. For me I'd rather lose slowly eating the foods I love, in the proper portions, than lose quickly and eat food I don't love.
    Best of luck in the many months of exercising ahead of you!!!
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I started on the 18th of January, and lost the most weight in the first 2-3 months. The closer I got to my goal, the slower the weight came off, but I also started incorporating strength training within the last month or two, so while I wasn't losing pounds, I WAS losing inches:)
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It is not uncommon for people to lose more weight the first month for 2 reasons. One is when you first start dieting you often shed a lot of excess water weight at first. The other reason is if you say exercise for an hour a day and you weigh 200 pounds, then the next month you weigh maybe 190 pounds and are still exercising an hour a day, you will burn more calories at the 200 pounds per minute than you will at 190 pounds. The more you lose the less calories you will burn doing the same activity.
  • vrmqueen
    vrmqueen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started almost 3 months ago myself and I lost a good chunk in the first two weeks I believe, and after that, I have been averaging about 2 lbs /week and I am still on that trend and I hope it doesn't change.

When I have had a low loss like .4lb or even gained in one week, I study my calendar usually on Sundays and make some adjustments the following week, and I usually will get a larger weight loss amount averaging 2lbs /wk

Keep pushing! We can do this!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Been at it for over a year. Lost the most weight in the first month or two, in the last 6 months been losing inches and hovering around the same weight.
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ... The other reason is if you say exercise for an hour a day and you weigh 200 pounds, then the next month you weigh maybe 190 pounds and are still exercising an hour a day, you will burn more calories at the 200 pounds per minute than you will at 190 pounds. The more you lose the less calories you will burn doing the same activity.
    Thanks for pointing this out. It might seem like an obvious fact, but it had completely slipped my mind.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not losing it as fast now, but I'm not worried :happy: I eat foods I love, I exercise 5+ days a week, and I'm still losing and feeling good about myself.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I lost 21 lbs the first month, but I wouldn't look too much into it because I have a lot to lose so it was a lot of water weight. Month 2 I lost 9 lbs and month 3 I lost 10. I'm currently in my 4th month and I hope I stay on the same pace.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising for 3+ decades. I don't think I've ever lost weight from exercising. I've been an avid runner for decades and I've been lifting for a couple of years. I've only lost weight when I set myself on a calorie deficit. To me, exercise isn't for weight loss, it's for stress relief, fitness and health. I use my eating habits to control my weight. :flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising for 3+ decades. I don't think I've ever lost weight from exercising. I've been an avid runner for decades and I've been lifting for a couple of years. I've only lost weight when I set myself on a calorie deficit. To me, exercise isn't for weight loss, it's for stress relief, fitness and health. I use my eating habits to control my weight. :flowerforyou:

This.

But that said, whenever I start a new program for cutting fat (and weight) including diet and exercise, I tend to have the most success in getting smaller and leaner in the 2nd-3rd months as opposed to the first. I normally see a drop immediately after starting, but it's not usually fat, it's water weight that I am losing at first. When it is just the fat, I lose the most later on in the program.
  • Superchick123
    Superchick123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

This.

But that said, whenever I start a new program for cutting fat (and weight) including diet and exercise, I tend to have the most success in getting smaller and leaner in the 2nd-3rd months as opposed to the first. I normally see a drop immediately after starting, but it's not usually fat, it's water weight that I am losing at first. When it is just the fat, I lose the most later on in the program.

I can't wait to see what the following months will bring!! :)
  • readeramm
    readeramm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for 8 months and am losing 6-8 pounds a month throughout. As my calorie allotments have gone down with my weight loss I've been exercising more so I can still get enough to eat while maintaining my steady progress. I have not plateaued for any longer than two weeks doing it this way which really has helped keep me motivated to stay with it. Slow and steady is maintainable for the 2 years i expect it to take me to hit my goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lost around 20 - 25 Lbs in the first three months...a decent chunk of that in the first month (water)...lost another 10-15 Lbs from January to March when I went to maintenance for awhile as I had achieved my initial goal of 19% BF. Currently in cut mode again...well, sorta. I'm also in training mode for a race coming up in August and another in Sept and a Goruck in November...training leaves me pretty hungry so I tend to go over my cut calories pretty routinely. When I don't eat, my training sessions kinda suck...so really, I'm between a rock and a hard place...continue to cut and just acknowledge that my training is going to suffer...or eat and kill it in the gym and on the road. Thus far I've been opting for B more often than A.

I'm thinking that if I really want to do a good cut again, I'll need to take a break from actually training and just workout to a level that doesn't leave me shoving the refrigerator down my throat.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    First month was the fastest and then after that it slowed down. I have been doing this for 5 months and it really slowed down because now the weight I am losing isn't recently gain but fat that has been on my frame for awhile.

Best of luck to you!
  • sjacks14
    sjacks14 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started MyFitnessPal in January and lost 6lbs in the first 1.5 - 2wks. After that it slowed down some. I lost my goal of 16lbs in about 12wks.

For me, it was more about diet too because I've been doing pretty much the same exercise for the last couple of years but the weight staye don. The weight didn't start coming off until I started counting calories and eating at a deficit. Now, I've been maintaining for over two months. I'm still pretty consistent with logginf my food.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot in the first month (10 pounds), five pounds each the next two months. Now I've been gaining and losing these five pounds over and over for the last three months or so.

For me, I have to be sure not to use exercise as an excuse to eat a ton of food. I can't say "oh, I worked out today, so I can eat a whole pizza." I did that for a while, and it has led to this 20 pound barrier I'm having a hard time breaking through.
  • thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds my first month, about 4 the second, and an average of around 2 per month since then.
    It's all about variation and intensity though for workouts I find. I've lost about 4 pounds this month because I finally went outside of my regular routine. So I guess my advice is to keep it consistent and quick eat well and constantly move in different ways.