Cardio v Weight training

Options
Hi Guys,

So previously I used to just do 45min on the cross trainer and that was the extent of my workout. I soon realised that wasn't working to give me the body I want. I'm 46kg but not toned. I then started doing Nike fitness club get toned 45 min workouts and I cut my cardio down significant to 1-2 times a week. Is this the right choice for me? I don't want to go six months into the program and realise I did something wrong again. My goal is to get toned not lose weight as such. I use 3kg dumbbells.

Thanks in advance

:)

Replies

• ShivikaChandra
    Options
    *significantly
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about that program you are talking about, but does it involve strength training (not cute little dumbbells curled for a bazillion reps)? If so, then I think that you made a good choice for your goals. Strength training and less cardio will continue your path of fat loss while preserving lean muscle in a deficit and also tighten you up. (Which since you said you want to be "toned" is what you want, right?) Don't be afraid of lifting heavy weights. You will NOT bulk up like so many crazy women mistakenly believe.
  • ShivikaChandra
    Options
    I don't know anything about that program you are talking about, but does it involve strength training (not cute little dumbbells curled for a bazillion reps)? If so, then I think that you made a good choice for your goals. Strength training and less cardio will continue your path of fat loss while preserving lean muscle in a deficit and also tighten you up. (Which since you said you want to be "toned" is what you want, right?) Don't be afraid of lifting heavy weights. You will NOT bulk up like so many crazy women mistakenly believe.

Hi so I use 3kg dumbbells? Im not sure whether thats considered as 'cute'. Basically the plan involves lots of squats with dumbbells, ab work and everything really. Is that strength training? sorry for sounding really ignorant, but I'm very new to this
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    A program that doesn't progressively increase the resistance (read: weight) over time is usually not the greatest strength training program.
  • callandert
    callandert Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't be afraid to use more weight! I have been working out for about 8 weeks..started with 5kg, then 7.5kg and now I am using 10kg...you will be amazed how much stronger you feel.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Real quick: 2 3kg dumbells weighs about the same as a 4 month old baby. Think about it, if all the lifting of a 4 month old several times a day got moms "toned" ( not really a good descriptive word) then baby weight shouldn't be an issue for them. But it is.

You should try to use weight that's relatively hard for you to do for about 6-8 reps. The last 2 reps you should struggle with. If it's easy to complete, then it's too light for that particular exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    So are you trying to gain weight or not? Sounds to me like you should be,

Ever notice the guys at the gym who have 6 packs, but, never seem to get bigger? But they still have a 6 pack? Yeah... see where im going with this? Gaining appreciable muscle without gaining weight, is a tall order.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I do Body Pump & have definately noticed an improvement in my stamina/strength since starting out. I've not got any knowledge of the Nike programme, but I've seen a lot of women at my gym going for the free weights so forth. It all depends on what results you're looking for I guess. However, I'm a firm believer in doing something is better than doing nothing & if what your doing is working for you kudos :)
  • snoople1
    snoople1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    don't be shy to lift heavy or consider body weight training. Look out for a good program where you can meassure your process. ( lifting heavier oder process to more difficult body weight exercises ) I would cut down normal cardio to a minimum eg walking on rest days. It's all about preference. Good luck!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I :heart: cardio AND lifting. I lift heavy 2-3 times a week and I run 2-3 times a week. I find the combo gives me the best all-around results for what I personally want in terms of fitness and physique.