Weight loss and your cycle (female support needed)

Hi-

I have just started this weight loss journey (15 days ago)and truly appreciate the positive advice here on MFP. I have been doing okay- counting my calories and doing about 30-45 minutes of exercise each day. I was pleased with the progress I have been making- more energy, clearer skin (from the water intake I think) and 8 pounds lost--- but one thing that I am concerned about is my cycle. It is really, really bad! I am very crampy and very bloated (I gained back 2 pounds) and my flow is heavier than normal. Ladies, has anyone else experienced this difficulty? I am not sure if this is normal or if I should contact my GYN/OB?

Thanks for any advice-

Keisha

Replies

• bdahlia13
    bdahlia13 Posts: 26
    I have had irregular periods before and they were mostly caused by lifestyle changes and stress. I am going out on a limb and saying that you may be going under the same circumstances where your body is trying to adjust to the changes you are making with yourself. :) Of course if it is really bad and you are worried, definitely go to the doctor!
  • I've learned to never weigh myself that time of month. It's just depressing lol. The scale seems to jump up to 5lb more, but it goes away at the end of my cycle, with a couple of lbs more lost.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Changes in diet and exercise can cause changes in your cycle due to the hormonal changes. I would do some research about your dietary changes and how it will affect it.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    It's perfectly normal to gain some water weight during the days leading up to your period. I try not to weigh myself then, because I know it's not a permanent gain.

I wouldn't worry about one overly heavy/crampy period, but if your next is like that, then go see your gyn (US) family dr (Canada). I occasionally have periods from h-e-l-l and they're related to stress. It's over time that you need to get looked at.
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    THE FOLLOWING IS NOT SCIENCE:

My cycles got really bad during my weight loss; my theory is that my body stored extra hormones with the fat, and as the fat was burned the hormones were released. Extreme cramps, headaches, exhaustion, and an extra two or three days of bleeding resulted. I've been maintaining for about six months now, and things are starting to get back to what I would consider normal.

Like I said, that is not in anyway scientific; it's just my best guess.
  • rschreiber
    rschreiber Posts: 23 Member
    I see a difference in my weight (and my food cravings) mid-cycle (ovulation) and on my actual period. I've been taking Cal-Mag supplements along with B Total Sublingual supplement (a B complex) and it's really helped with my periods, including water retention. I've heard for years they help, and now I can attest that they really do! But generally, dieting sucks during the hormonal times, I know! I want to EAT CHOCOLATE in large quantities! :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    You will always "gain weight" during your time. Luckily it is all bloat and water. It is best to just avoid the scale for a full week until you are feeling normal and the bloat is gone.

I found when I started, TOM was brutal at first. I continued to do light exercise most of those days, and now a year later - TOM is like nothing and I find it has been easier to get through. Now I do the same exercises every day and if I do have a tough day, after exercising, I feel fine.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    I bloat and retain water pre-period, and I'm probably pre-menopausal, so I'm not sure if diet alone affects my cycle.

Have a look at your salt intake (packaged diet foods like lean cuisine are loaded in salt), and up your iron intake if your flow is higher than normal.

If it repeats next month, you probably should get it checked by a doctor.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Changes in diet and exercise can cause changes in your cycle due to the hormonal changes. I would do some research about your dietary changes and how it will affect it.

I agree with this.

When I started lifting weights, I had the opposite effect of you. I actually had lighter periods and less cramping. The bloating was still there, but that's not going anywhere no matter what for me. I had that when I was on birth control, too.

If you see more changes, or changes that really worry you, then by all means see your doctor and ask them about it. But usually, changes in diet or exercise are the culprit for changes, and the changes aren't "bad" and nothing to be concerned with.