Unrealistic Sugar Goals?

Options
Hi,
I normally use myfitnesspal on my phone but recently I started using the website to track everything. I noticed you can easily see your calories, carbs, fat, protein, and sugar on your food page. I have noticed though, that I always go over the recommended sugar goal which is only 24(grams?) a day. I haven't been eating junk food, but even my apple was a whopping 16g of sugar. How am I supposed to have a balanced diet without eating too much sugar? Or is it okay to consume the sugar if it's natural like in fruits? Help!

Replies

• StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Don't stress over natural sugars in fruit my advice to you is to make a section for natural/healthy snacks and sweets try to stay below 24-30 grams of added sugar! But really don't stress over it unless your diabetic or something! You can customize your goals and adjust sugar amount goal.
  • PaliDNAnge
    PaliDNAnge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I always go over my sugar since I eat a bunch of fruit. I've been losing so it's not bothering me, at least not yet. lol I also go over my diary with a trainer and she likes that I'm eating a bunch of fruit. I'm not a nutrition expert, so I don't know if it's sustainable, but it's what's working for me right now. That being said, I think if it's natural sugar it's ok. I'm curious to what others say.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    yeah I have a lot of sugar from fruit in my diet as well... that is pretty much my ONLY source most days. I could have a small bana, apple, 1cup blueberries and kiwi fruit in one day quite easily though. What do others think?
  • pennelope515
    pennelope515 Posts: 369
    Options
    My trainer told me to watch how much fruit and fruit drinks I am having because they have a lot of sugar and that breaks down into fat. I really don't eat much fruit but I am still ALWAYS going over my sugar. I would say just try to avoid foods with excessive amounts of sugar in it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to watch how much fruit and fruit drinks I am having because they have a lot of sugar and that breaks down into fat. I really don't eat much fruit but I am still ALWAYS going over my sugar. I would say just try to avoid foods with excessive amounts of sugar in it.
    I hope your trainer is better at the exercise thing than they are about the nutrition advice.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone ever became overweight because they ate too much fruit. I don't worry about the sugar in fruit.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq

Turn it off, set it to a better level.

Sugar from fruit has contributed to plenty of people getting fat.
  • maryv83
    maryv83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Regarding fruit sugar... it's still a sugar, natural or not. I turned off the sugar count on my food journal. I always go over the sugar because of fruit. I realized that (for me) as long as I accompany fruit with protein, it will help in breaking down the sugars better. My journal has calories, carbs, fat, protein and fiber. Don't stress over everything... it can be tiresome. Focus on the things that are more important to you.