Weights or cardio for weight loss?

Options
Sipah
Sipah Posts: 31 Member
I was 102 kgs 6 months ago. Now I am 88 kgs. I am 175 cm - so roughly 5'9. I am doing a mixture of cardio - 30 minutes every day on the treadmill and some weight training. My daily exercise regime looks something like this:

30 minutes on a treadmill using either a weight loss program or a "hills" programme so I change the intensity and the speed of my cardio workout.

After that I do 3 i guess they are floor exercises. The plank for up to 30 seconds. Push ups - I normally do 10 to 12. And then 30 sit ups I frankly can't do any more after 30.

Then I do roughly 5 weight exercises, dumbbells 20 pounds and a mixture of machine exercises for my back, shoulders, chest and arms. We sadly have no machines for the leg area where I am.

So the question is what can I add to improve my weight loss? More time on the treadmill?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I was 102 kgs 6 months ago. Now I am 88 kgs. I am 175 cm - so roughly 5'9. I am doing a mixture of cardio - 30 minutes every day on the treadmill and some weight training. My daily exercise regime looks something like this:

30 minutes on a treadmill using either a weight loss program or a "hills" programme so I change the intensity and the speed of my cardio workout.

After that I do 3 i guess they are floor exercises. The plank for up to 30 seconds. Push ups - I normally do 10 to 12. And then 30 sit ups I frankly can't do any more after 30.

Then I do roughly 5 weight exercises, dumbbells 20 pounds and a mixture of machine exercises for my back, shoulders, chest and arms. We sadly have no machines for the leg area where I am.

So the question is what can I add to improve my weight loss? More time on the treadmill?
    Ensure you're consistent and on a moderate calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sipah
    Options
    Consistent with what exactly?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Don't know about weight loss. You got a squat rack were you are?

personally I'd ditch the treadmill and run outside. Everything else seems ok-ish, more push ups... unless you want to put on muscle.

your male, how tall are you? Why do you want to go down lower? Lift heavy and run for the win.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Weights or cardio for weight loss? Neither, it's all about diet.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    balance in all things. Do weights AND cardio. I major on the weights (because I want to become stronger and be fit over being skinny)... However, both have their place. Best wishes on your journey
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    Continue to do both! They're both good for different reasons, cardio because it obviously burns cals which means you're burning fat. Weighs because it will build lean muscle and lean muscle will continue to burn more when you're not exercising

Well done on your current weight loss and good luck with the rest x
  • Sipah
    Options
    Well at 5'9 (175 cm) and 194 pounds (88 kgs) I am around 18 kgs over my ideal weight. So that would be roughly 40 pounds over what I should be ideally. I should be between 70 and 75 kgs. So I need to lose the weight specifically first and then build up the muscle if I can.

As for diet I have cut out many carbs except for at breakfast when I have bread and cereal. Lunch is lean meats like chicken with veggies and dinner is the same.

Sorry no squat rack here but I can do normal squats if it is recommended.
  • mkanak
    mkanak Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Both of course. Why choose one over the other?
  • Sipah
    Options
    Not aiming to choose one over the other. I am merely aiming to see which aspect I should increase for greater weight loss. I want to lose 1 kg a week or so while building some lean muscle mass.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Interested in more of weight loss for now.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Not aiming to choose one over the other. I am merely aiming to see which aspect I should increase for greater weight loss. I want to lose 1 kg a week or so while building some lean muscle mass.

you should increase both
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, so my advice is for you to search existing threads on the subject. All i've read lately does advise weight training, as not only it trims you down, but also builds muscle which will, naturally, burn more fat - even when you sleep. Plus, it makes for lean, well defined bodies (you'll need shakes and supplements to bulk up) and you'll feel not only thinner but healthier. Also beware of mentioning 'weight loss', as it means, maybe something different from what you need. You may never lose 'weight' if you lift. You'll be burning (light) fat but building (heavy) muscle, so throw away the scale and focus on results - take weekly photos, a great motivator :)
  • changergirl
    Options
    Diet is going to be more important than either for weight loss. However if you want to lose weight faster, which it appears you do, Cardio is the way to go.

Since I've started weights I haven't lost anything however my body is definitely getting stronger which is why I'm sticking to it.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Consistent with what exactly?

Consistent with maintaining a calorie deficit. He's just advising that you can't expect the best results if you're not being consistent and if you're always "starting over" or if you keep going over you calories etc..

Its just common knowledge, consistency brings results! And he's kindly reinforcing that for you

All the best!
    Also.. my two cents.. a calorie deficit is what brings weight loss. Weights are awesome for turning your body into a fat burning machine, even when you're sitting doing nothing (particularly lifting heavy). I also found it helped me lose fat in my stomach and waist a lot! Cardio is awesome too! Do a little research and you decide! Search the forums too, there is a LOT out there.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    You've lost 14kg in 6mths. Why not continue doing what you are doing?

That's a fantastic rate of weight loss.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Cardio and weight training will build muscle, which will help you burn calories at rest. Which means you can eat more and still lose weight!

You can lose weight with diet alone, but you'll feel better and tone with adding exercise.