too much protein?

Options
This is my first week using my fitness pal. 2 years ago I lost 20 lbs and always like to find new ways to keep it off (since I'm a serious yo-yo dieter) but this is the first time that I've had my protein tracked. Yesterday I far exceeded my protein intake, but stayed within fat calories and carbs. Is this considered a bad thing? Thanks!

Replies

• lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    That happened to me when I first started too. I changed my settings to accomidate my plan. I use Winning by Losing (jillian Michaels) so I set mine to 40 carbs/30 protein/30 fats. I didn't have a problem with my protein coming out high after that.
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've read that the rule of thumb is 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of ideal weight. So if you ideal weight is 100 lbs then you should try to stay around 100 - 150 grams or protein per day.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Protein is ok and fiber also both are good and actually help keep you full and moving smoothly....It is fine....also I track sugar too....not easy to stay where you need to be but I try to as close as possible.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you do want to switch your % go to goals, change goals, select custom, make your changes the click save changes.

MFP sets protein pretty low 15% of total calories. Nutritionists say that 10-30% is where it should be but if you do exercise, especially strength training, you should be in the 20% or higher range.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've read that the rule of thumb is 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of ideal weight. So if you ideal weight is 100 lbs then you should try to stay around 100 - 150 grams or protein per day.

I've heard the same thing but it was 1-1.5 gram per Kg of body weight (not per pound, that would be a lot of protein for a 250 ponder) so at 100 pounds 45g+68g of protein is good.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Protein and fiber are the two things that you want to reach or exceed your set goals. Whereas cals, fat, sugars, sodium, etc are the ones you wanna keep below or just at your goals. Carbs can go either way dependant on your diet. I know I need lots of them. I just try not to exceed them and so far so good.
  • brookie678
    Options
    Ok, thank you so much for your help :)
  • karot32
    karot32 Posts: 46
    Options
    Yea, mine is always way over the "goal" for protein and fiber.. .I wouldn't worry about those, sugar and sodium are the ones I want to get lower!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!