UK size 14 measurements

Options
I am getting married in November and need to lose weight, I am aiming to fit into a UK size 14 dress. I am 5.0 feet so anyone around the same height could you let me kow a rough idea of your measurements and weight please.

I know its different for everyone due to shape etc but I just wanted a rough esimate of how much I will have to lose now.

Thank you :)

Replies

• Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm 5'3" if anyone else can't help :) PM me if you do want my measurements xx
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind that wedding dresses usually come up quite small, so even if you are a UK 14, the dress may have to be a 16 or even an 18.

When I got married I was a 12-14 and my dress was a 16, although it did have to be taken in loads on top and round my waist.

As for measurements, I'm 5'6 and a UK12 and my waist is 29-30, my hips 39, my boobs are 32 underneath and about 37 round the fullest part. So I guess a 14 would be a couple of inches bigger. I'm an hourglass shape.

It does depend on the shop you buy things in though.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 2" and two years ago I wore a UK size 14 dress and I weighed about 170 lbs. Although I have to say it was a dress from Bravissimo so it was made to fit bigger in the top. Looking at photos of the wedding I wore the dress to I think I look awful, but I tried the dress on recently and I'm only a few pounds lighter but several inches smaller from working out and it looks so much better now : )
  • Hannah7783
    Hannah7783 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your wedding weight loss and congratulations on getting married!

Im getting married in just over 3 weeks and am way off my target weight - but my shape has changed loads and I have had to have my dress taken in twice. So try not to get too worried about the numbers on the scale as long as your looking and probably more importantly feeling slimmer!

Also, its true about wedding dresses coming up smaller - both shops I tried dresses on in told me that, and it seemed to be true (I was a bit suspicious it was a way of averting a bridezilla crisis!) so don't be disheartened if you need a 16. And remember, if you're getting your dress from a proper shop, the seamstresses will alter your dress to fit you anyway. So for example, I ordered mine as a 16 but have needed a fair bit taken in, particularly on the waist, and its easier to take it in than to let it out if you buy a smaller size 'to slim into'. AND - wedding dresses are ironically, the one type of dress that any woman will look good in, provided you pick one to suit you, rather than the one that is a pretty dress. You should wear the dress, it shouldn't wear you!

I know this isn't really what your post was asking about - but I actually have no idea what size I am now anyway! This whole weight loss thing has skewed my brain and I still feel like I'm the same size I was before I started, except I'm probably not...!

Feel free to add me if you like - seeing as my wedding is nearly here now I will be reliving it through other brides now! Plus, I have had my fair share of panic about the dress, so am happy to share my experiences with you if you need it!

Han x
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Just realized you asked for measurements... I have

42" bust
    32" waist
    40" hips

Good luck with your dress!!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly what size I am as I haven't bought new clothes for ages (not ones that run in UK sizes anyway), but I think I'm around 12-14. My measurements are:

Weight: 135lb
    Height: 5'4
    Bust: 38"
    Waist: 29"
    Hips: 39"
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say to give you something to aim for, as we all hold our weight in different places. My friend and I are the same height, and we both wear the same size jeans. However, she carries her weight in her hips, and I carry mine in my belly.
  • Janet_andpie
    Options
    Congrats on getting married!

As everyone has said, wedding dresses come up small, so you may need a size larger.

I'm 5'6" and most of my clothes are size 14. I need a 16 for jackets and jumpers as I have broad shoulders and long arms.

Bust 36 to 37
    Waist 28 to 29
    Hip 39 to 40

hope that helps.
  • zeezeemum
    zeezeemum Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm just over 5'6'' and I wear a UK size 14.
    my measurements are
    Bust: 36.5
    Waist: 33
    Hips 39.5
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    All wedding dress designers will have different measurements - your best bet is to find a dress you like and have it fitted to you and not worry about the label.

My dress was bespoke so I cant tell you what the actual size was but I tried the 12 on in the shop which was too big and I am a size 10-12 in high street shops.