Fitbit

Options
Not sure if there has been a topic on this or not of if I'm even posting it in the right area but I've been thinking of getting the new fitbit for a few weeks and was wondering if anyone on here has got one? If so would be great if you could let me know if it's any good and worth the money or it's just another waste? 12 hour shifts are a killer and would be good to know how many miles I'm covering at work and apparently it's good at waking you naturally which I haven't managed in about 8 weeks

Cheers

*hope this isn't seen as advertising, I do not work for or endorse fitbit in anyway :)

Replies

• 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and like it. For me it's a great motivator to get moving. It encourages me to take the stairs. I do use it to track my sleep, but I've never used it as an alarm. You put it in a band on your wrist at night and it is supposed to wake you with vibration. I worry that I wouldn't wake up to that. I have woken up in the morning and it is off my wrist, I would be afraid that would happen and I would oversleep.
  • Lisaget2awesome
    Lisaget2awesome Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also have one and I love it too. It keeps you moving to try and meet the goal I have set for myself. Even when I am tired, I push myself most day to meet or pass my goal. I feel great when I have met it !!!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It is by far a great motivational tool. I have read complaints about it's inaccuracy in counting steps, calculating calories burned, etc. I love it. I wear it all day and watch my movements and yesterday at work I climbed 47 flights of stairs and walked 4 miles all within a three floor Inn. I had no idea I moved that much at work.

I sync it at the end of the day after I've logged all my meals, I don't want to eat back my 'daily routine'. I only eat back planned exercise.

It reminds me to move and to grow my little flower...

I was going to get the flex, but ultimately chose the One because the Flex doesn't count stairs and I like the option of being able to put it in my pocket. The One also shows the time which I like.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I have one and it has really helped me get a better measure of my TDEE day-by-day. I was overestimating by a lot using online TDEE calculators before.

I do use the wristband for sleep tracking and alarm. The alarm works surprisingly well on the wrist, I haven't yet overslept (which I do frequently with sound-only alarms), and it is much much less disturbing for my partner compared to a vibrating cell phone alarm on the mattress/somewhere in the room. The only peeve is how tedious it is to set/modify alarms. You have to do it on your phone or the site, then sync the Fitbit. A pain when you've already gotten into bed and realize you want to make a change.

Otherwise, I've been surprisingly happy with it. I bought it not being sure if I really needed it or if it would just be a gimmicky gadget. It has made itself useful and has found a place on my person at all times except the shower.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and like it very much. It's a toy, that's for sure, but one that's very useful. It keeps a charge for well over a week, is discreet so that I don't have a bulky black band on my wrist, and I love checking in periodically to see how I'm doing.

I find that it's not super-accurate, but it's a way of knowing "about" how I'm doing.
  • ManRounded
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :) I've read that the flex is useless considering its on the wrist but the one sounds like a pretty useful gadget for keeping track, the way it wakes you up is the main selling point for me.
  • hannahthesoundgirl
    hannahthesoundgirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have had the flex for 3 weeks now and I absolutely love it. It's such a great tool to keep track of how much you're actually moving and how much you should actually eat to lose weight. I have been guilty of overestimating how many calories I burn throughout the day. With the flex, I just follow what it says I can eat and eat that amount. And if I eat too much, then I have to work harder before I go to bed. I've already lost weight with it. I would definitely recommend getting one. I'm sure they're not accurate all the time, but I'm also sure that nothing else is either. All I know is, if I wear it all the time and eat the amount the website tells me I can eat, then I lose weight. I can't complain about or argue with that.