I have Cellulite on my legs but I can't do squats

Options
What can I do?!? I HAVE to get rid of this cellulite but I can't do squats or lunges. I have very bad knees. Arthritis and torn minisus in both knees, even when I walk up stairs all you hear is poping and like your dragging heavy over concrete ... It's gross. But having cellulite is even more gross!!! I've always had it even when I was 18 and had a
Rockn' Bod, but I need to get rid of it!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    all the more reason to do squats. they strengthen knees better than any other exercise.

Are you able to do box squats to TRX assisted squats?
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    squats will not get rid off cellulite. Fat loss will.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    squats will not get rid off cellulite. Fat loss will.

and sometimes not even that. there's a thread floating around here with photos of slim celebs and athletes who have cellulite.

unfortunately cellulite is genetic
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    bump for some one to defend that cellulite is NOT completly genetic and you can treat it :huh:
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't know about treating it, but you can improve it by fat loss/sports/massages. Mine is a lot better than 1 year ago, but I made it my no1 enemy and worked for it. If I slack for a while then it starts to be visible again, so I think it's a life long battle that you will not win on the long term. I'll keep on fighting it for the moment because I'm still young and vain.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Cycling? It's helped mine but dunno about your knees. Most of the strain seems to be taken by thigh and glute muscles so your knees might be ok.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Cycling and arc trainers are good for building muscle on the legs thru resistance, and they're easy on the knees.
  • donna1501
    donna1501 Posts: 4
    Options
    Depending on how bad your knees are cycling can be good for you, but it can also add stress to the knee if you push too hard.

However some exercise is better than no exercise. I would do what you can at a level you can manage.

Cycling can and does help on the cellulite, but it wont get rid of it completely, I have lived with it for about 20 yrs and have been commute cycling for around 5 years and I still have the dreaded bumps, they are just not as bad as they were :)

I personally have a damaged knee, unsure what i have done but i cycle 2 x 7miles a day, play badminton twice a week and do a bootcamp once a week, which includes a lot of leg work, so am not doing myself any favours at the moment!

I have heard that swimming is a good all-round exercise, is less strenuous on the body and where an injury is in place helps to not put too much pressure on the system. Perhaps that's worth a try?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It is mostly genetic but you can greatly reduce it! I did!! I had cellulite when I was 100 pounds! Then I gained some weight, did heavy lifting (squats, lunges, deadlifts especially, step ups, lots of compound lifts), gained 12 pounds and my cellulite is basically gone. I wear short shorts all of the time now. And yes, my mom and sister have it, but there cases are more pronounced because they don't lift!

I also find dry brushing and exfoliating, along with a little tan, makes the legs look smoother, thus reducing the appearance.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It is mostly genetic but you can greatly reduce it! I did!! I had cellulite when I was 100 pounds! Then I gained some weight, did heavy lifting (squats, lunges, deadlifts especially, step ups, lots of compound lifts), gained 12 pounds and my cellulite is basically gone. I wear short shorts all of the time now. And yes, my mom and sister have it, but there cases are more pronounced because they don't lift!

I also find dry brushing and exfoliating, along with a little tan, makes the legs look smoother, thus reducing the appearance.
    Very inspiring! Thanks! :smile:
  • jimmyalice1984
    jimmyalice1984 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Everything kdiamond says is true in my experience. Skin is much firmer and smoother after starting strength training.
  • kimmy6904
    kimmy6904 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will try all that!!! I really needed that push you really gave that to me !!
  • SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Squats is very effective exercise for cellulite. This exercise helps to tone your body. Even you can go for massage. Massage is also helps to tone your body. Try some effective cellulite cream. Its a proven method to remove cellulite easily.

http://www.thebeautyinsiders.com/ways-to-remove-cellulite-naturally.html
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Squats and Deadlifts actually strengthen knees. BUT you must have PROPER FORM or you you injure them more! Watch videos of respected coaches and get a trainer in your gym to help you. I have 'Army Knees' and once I got my form corrected I'm squatting stronger and deeper than ever. Also a good pair of knee sleeves helps to keep the knees warm and loose.