crab! I had no idea!

Options
I just looked at the crab I bought from BJs yesterday. I'm not sure I can believe it. 2 oz has only 40 calories and 10 grams of protein - and no fat! Sodium is good too at 180mg.
It's pre cooked and shelled so all you have to do it scoop it, weigh it and eat it! Ultimate fast food. This is the special wild caught. The jumbo was twice the price.

Replies

• jean51
    jean51 Posts: 29
    Options
    Wow good to know...thanks.
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    i love crab but never considered it being so low in calories!
  • Fat_n_Happy
    Fat_n_Happy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The issue with crab and lobster isn't the meat it's that people dip it in melted butter. If you avoid the butter it is quite healthy and low in fat.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    :):) I hope this applies to the crab legs at the chinese buffet??? I never dip in butter but I love them. Does anyone know ??
  • clake
    clake Posts: 1
    Options
    WOW ! I had no idea as well THANKS for the tip !
    :happy:
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I've been jonesin for some crab! I kinda figured it couldn't be terrible for you, but it's nice to hear it confirmed. I love the leg meat without any of the butter, so now to get my hands on some!
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Shrimp is really low in calories too.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    As a Marylander, crabs are a staple. I used apple cider vinegar instead of butter (white vinegar isn't so good), and it tastes yummy. Downside though is that it can make women very bloated, regardless of what the sodium says. Don't know why, but it is a common complaint of many of my friends. I actually have to take a diuretic before I eat them or my fingers are so swollen the next day that I can't type for work. But well worth it everytime. I am definitely going to have crabs this weekend. THANKS :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    :):) I hope this applies to the crab legs at the chinese buffet??? I never dip in butter but I love them. Does anyone know ??

If you're talking real crab legs in the shell that you have to work to get out, then yes, eat all you want. :bigsmile:
    My buffet has those, plus imitation crab wrapped in bacon on a stick and deep fried. Those I would say are a no-no.:huh:
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

If you're talking real crab legs in the shell that you have to work to get out, then yes, eat all you want. :bigsmile:
    My buffet has those, plus imitation crab wrapped in bacon on a stick and deep fried. Those I would say are a no-no.:huh:

WOW thxs Robin :):) I dont eat the bacon wrapped anything LOL but love fighting to crack those crab legs :)
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    I buy the imitation stuff and put it in my spinach salads, but I watch how much because it's fairly high sodium. This stuff you bought is way higher protein and lower sodium, I gotta get my hands on that stuff. Thanks!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    will tell my husband, although I don't eat seafood, we live on an island and can go get fresh caught crab from the boat when we want. He likes it and will be pleased to know its a good thing!
  • Fat_n_Happy
    Fat_n_Happy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
  • brookie678
    Options
    omg my mom and I used to bring our own bottle of "I can't believe it's not butter" to seafood restaurants and poor it into a plastic condiment container. Then you can dip away and, because it's liquid, it makes a nice substitute for melted butter. Lobster, crab, clams, shrimp, they're all mega low cal. yay seafood!
  • brookie678
    Options
    ^^^ granted "I can't believe it's not butter" isn't all that great for you either and begins to accumulate fat content if you eat it in excess, it's still wayyy better than butter.