Gluten free

Options
Can anyone recommend any good sites to learn about gluten free eating and recipes. Do to health reasons I want to read up on it and eat gluten free to see if it will help with some symptoms

Thank you.

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi there is a gluten free group on here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/112-gluten-free and they have lots of help and advice.

I know there are lots of websites out there but I tend to just cook form scratch and use lots of rice/potatoes instead of gluten - I've been a coeliac over 20 years
  • MonicaM208
    Options
    Thank you
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I've grown REALLY fond of Gluten Free Girl And The Chef website www.glutenfreegirl.com she has some really great recipes and her pie crust is fantastic.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of good gluten free blogs and resources online.

one good one is
    http://www.stuffed-pepper.com/

articles about living and adjusting to a GF diet, tips and recipes and other stuff.

I also have many GF recipes on my own recipe blog (both healthy and naughty). I am pretty much GF as I have fructose/fructan intoleance.
    http://chocolatechillimango.com/category/special-diet/

hope that helps
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    This will be pretty interesting to see what others say. I am thinking on doing a gluten free diet for my kids.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    I'm allergic to gluten and been gf for about 5 or 6 years now and the best way round it is to make meals from scratch that way you always know whats in you're food and will be able to pin point out something that has caused you to be ill.
  • barclayj209
    Options
    I am having to switch to gluten free and bought some gluten and wheat free muffins- but when i checked them out they were 381 also each, what on earth do they have in them for that. I am new to the food diary and it is scaring me what is in food.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am having to switch to gluten free and bought some gluten and wheat free muffins- but when i checked them out they were 381 also each, what on earth do they have in them for that. I am new to the food diary and it is scaring me what is in food.

Most gluten free substitute foods like gf breads, pastas, cakes, etc. have a ton of sugar in them to make them palatable. I avoid them unless it's for special occasions.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options

the gf flours are around the same in calories as wheat flour as rice,potatoes and other things like these are used for flour.
    You will soon learn what to avoid and what is ok.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Probably sugar.
  • mom2rpkp
    mom2rpkp Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Anyone have ideas for replacing some of the butter/shortening in GF recipes? I'm okay with applesauce, pureed raisins, apple butter or pumpkin in sweet recipes, but I;m looking for a solution for savory recipes. Made awesome GF biscuits for a healthier version of breakfast sandwich, but they are too high in fat and sidium to have as often as we'd like (they're super yummy).
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    This will be pretty interesting to see what others say. I am thinking on doing a gluten free diet for my kids.

You will get a ton of push-back about this, but I encourage you to follow your instincts and the advice of your pediatrician. I have two girls, a 13 year-old and a 2.5 year old, who both enjoy perfect health and are highly active and fit... and we don't have a speck of gluten from food in our home. I went gluten-free due to celiac disease, and because I have very low income, that meant cooking everything from scratch. Cooking from scratch means an IMMEDIATE huge boost in nutrition for most American families because processed food is so prevalent. And, it's just not feasible to cook two meals, so we made a family decision to have a GF home. My girls do not miss gluten and actually prefer GF foods. Because we use mostly whole foods, their diets are highly nutritious and they have learned to enjoy the taste of real food. We de-emphasize breads and treats and get most of our carbs from sweet potatoes, brown rice, fruit, vegetables, and GF oats. We have a limited amount of home-baked GF "treats" - that way I can add more nutritious ingredients and cut out some sugar. For instance, we had fresh strawberry crisp last night - huge treat that we LOVED. It had 100% rolled oats, nuts, fresh fruit with a tiny bit of real whipped cream and a tiny bit of real organic butter - and only 1.5 teaspoons of sugar per serving. My younger daughter eats the regular food for lunch and snack on the , including gluten, for lunch and snacks on the days she goes to day care. Both girls enjoy an occasional treat when we are visiting others. It has also taught them to be gracious guests - I've seen my older girl naturally choose GF when we are guests without the hostess even being aware she wasn't eating some of the food. She even naturally chooses GF foods at pot-lucks. We aren't rigid about it when we are out - my older daughter occasionally splurges with a small bag of Cheetos or I take the girls for an ice-cream cone and get a dish for myself. Finally, when my youngest was a baby and ready to start real foods, I started her on vegetables, then fruit, then oats, lean protein, seeds, nuts, lowfat dairy, and introduced other grains last. Result - a kid who prefers nutrient-dense foods and has no food allergies.
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    I've grown REALLY fond of Gluten Free Girl And The Chef website www.glutenfreegirl.com she has some really great recipes and her pie crust is fantastic.

I second this - GF girl is a good resource. I also recommend choosing foods that are naturally gluten-free instead of trying to replace everything. I took my diagnosis as a chance to redefine our meals and center them on whole foods with an emphasis on lean protein, vegetables, fruits, and lowfat dairy in moderation, and de-emphasizing grains. We save expensive (or time-consuming to make) GF breads and baked goods for occasional treats.