Eat food, not nutrients

maddox22
maddox22 Posts: 91
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I read this this morning, and thought it might be interesting to many of us.

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2010/08/every-nutrition-professional-must-read.html

Although I think MFP is a great tool for weight loss and healthy eating, I think it would be great if there were a way to track FOOD rather than nutrients. E.g., how about having those numbers on the food diary tell you how many servings of vegetables you've eaten, or the ratio of complex to simple carbs in your diet, or the fraction of your calories that came from added sugars?

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    I believe it's been suggested before, I think it's a great idea I would love to track the servings from each food group. It's really the most effective way I've lost weight, it's just hard to figure out sometimes and hard to keep track of it without an effective tool.

:flowerforyou: MFP, please consider this :flowerforyou:
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    I agree, good idea, maybe it's something they will add in the future :smile:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    I like it the way it is.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    That's a really great article and people should read it if for no other reason than it accurately describes a healthy diet.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    It would be a great addition to tool! I'm bumping this to read later!
  • I like seeing the amount of certain nutrients, (protein, fiber, trans- saturated- polyunsat- monounsat- fats, sodium etc) But I agree its not the best info for someone strictly trying to lose weight. I'm a senior Nutrition major so I know a little more about what these things do and how they effect each other, I'm not as concerned with my daily totals as I am with whats in each individual meal. How they react together can either make you feel full longer or leave you hungry in an hour. I completely agree about knowing how many calories come from added sugar vs natural sugars. Like a banana could have the same amount of listed carbs as a candy bar but they act completely different in your stomach and intestinal tract.
  • dbmom
    dbmom Posts: 16
    What is bumping?
This discussion has been closed.