How much is too much?

Options
Hi! I'll admit I don't know much when it comes to a better lifestyle. However, I've been 'active' for 9 days now and I'm feeling great....unstoppable...I am craving exercise! I just don't feel right when I don't accomplish something for the day.

It's been said we need rest days, which I understand, but I REALLY don't want to! Since I'm not doing anything radical with strength or cardiovascular training, are rest days necessary? If so, why? I'm completing 30-day squat & crunch challenges and walking a mile or so each day.

Opinions please! Thanks!

Replies

• pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    If you aren't feeling run down, I don't see any reason to rest. Eventually you will need it, and when that time comes, take it. I think your body knows when it needs rest.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I usually try to rest one day a week and even on my 'rest day' I'll walk the dog for a mile or two, or take a leisurely bike ride with my daughter and my friend. But when my body tells me to rest, I rest.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 miles and climb 40 flights of stairs on my rest days. I think you will be just fine. If you need a rest, then take one. When/if you decide to start lifting heavy, I suggest you take a full day off from working out the same muscles between workouts.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If you were doing high impact exercises like running several miles every day I would suggest taking two or three rest days a week, but as you're mixing up your exercise and enjoying it, then I think you will be fine! Just listen to your body - if you start getting aches and pains, don't train through them - rest and recover.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Rest days are not mandatory, no. If you switch off days of cardio versus strength training, you'll be fine. Your body will tell you when it needs it. Just be sure to get enough protein. :)
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    If you start feeling tired and run down, or your body hurts all over, it might be time for a rest day or two. I have been pushing myself lately and had to take two days off because my legs just didn't want to do anything. After a refeed and some solid rest I will start again today. Listen to your body and you'll know when you're trying to push it too far. And you can do things on your 'rest' day, you can walk or do some other light cardio or even light strength stuff, but you don't want it to be too strenuous.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    IMO, rest days are for allowing recovery when certain muscles are pushed to the limit. For the last few months, I did a little light toning every day, but I was running every other day (on weekends, sometimes Saturday early and Sunday late) for lengthy distances (last month or so over 5 miles each time). If I tried to run like that two days in a row, I worried that I was not allowing recovery. Now I am getting in more gym time and doing more core exercises. I will cut the running down to a couple a week and alternate exercises to keep from working any muscle group too hard without recovery, but won't necessarily need a rest day.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Your body will let you know when you need to rest.

My rest days are the weekends but that is mainly because I have other things to do and hitting the gym isn't always one of them. Sometimes I'll throw in a run on the weekend but since I have an injured foot I can't do anything high impact right now and at times just walking is bothersome.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yes. Recovery and rest is a big part of working
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've worked out every day since Feb 8th 2012. Not missed a day at all, even when sick. I've never felt the need to take a day off & my workouts have always been hard *kitten* ones that push me more. Only today I felt like I needed a rest but that's only cause I'm getting over a chest infection that has left me a little drained this time (I still worked out all during the coughing & spluttering). I know I MUST do it daily or I will make an excuse to not do it again the following day, I break a habit just as easily as I make one.

I say only take one if you feel you need to, others will say you HAVE to. Listen to your own body.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    If your body doesn't feel like it needs rest, you're probably fine, for now. Eventually it's going to need it. Exercise has never been my favorite thing, even though I've been doing it for quite a while now, so I have two rest days per week. Monday and Friday. And I'm still losing and look great.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You don't need to take rest days yet. When your activity level increases over the coming months (you're motivated, so it certainly will keep increasing), then "active rest" will come into play. A rest day should involve a certain level of activity - walking, swimming, playing Wii or Kinect with the kids, etc. but not a strenuous exercise.

Just keep doing what you're doing for now. It is working. Don't read so much into "rest days" until you start running more than 5K or strength training with weights or machines. Trust me. Your body will let you know when it's time for rest days.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way (not wanting to take a rest day). I actually feel MORE tired and run down when I don't start my day down on my elliptical. I know I'm not doing as intense a workout as many (my machine says I burn about 200 calories in 20 minutes/2miles) as I see some people coming in at crazy calories over that for an elliptical workout, upping the speed or resistance more. Usually I'll get in several of these (5-6) 20min workouts in throughout the day (I'm a SAHM with a gym in the basement, so that works well for me). On my "rest" days, I get in 1-3 20min sessions ... I rarely ever take a complete day off (I'm not sure I could keep my calorie intake under control without a little leeway from some cardio calories too). I've also limited my TV time to ONLY when I'm exercising ... and sometimes I want to catch up on a show, and I'll only allow myself to do that while on the elliptical or treadmill.

I do lift weights 1-3 times a week and always rest those muscles in-between ... I'll admit to allowing myself TOO much rest (if I only get in one weight workout a week, instead of multiple *Ü*). Sometimes I am still sore a couple days after weights.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I too am in the same exercise every chance you get phase--BUT my Dr. says that my body WILL tell me when it needs a rest---so I listen to that. And yes there are days when I hear myself say--we want to sleep in today---SO I DO, and I don't feel guilt at all.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Walking a mile every day is great, but it's hardly something you need to rest from. I work with plenty of fat old ladies who walk at least a mile each day because the parking garage is half a mile away.
  • BflSabrefan
    Options
    I think its great that you are more active but walking 1 mile a day and doing the squat challenge is not something your body will need rest from. You will be fine.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for so many replies! I'll take all into consideration.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You don't need to take rest days yet. When your activity level increases over the coming months (you're motivated, so it certainly will keep increasing), then "active rest" will come into play. A rest day should involve a certain level of activity - walking, swimming, playing Wii or Kinect with the kids, etc. but not a strenuous exercise.

Just keep doing what you're doing for now. It is working. Don't read so much into "rest days" until you start running more than 5K or strength training with weights or machines. Trust me. Your body will let you know when it's time for rest days.

^ This. Just don't ignore your body when it does tell you that you need some rest, push through, injure yourself, and then quit. It's way too easy to quit in the beginning because of an injury because you haven't built the habits yet.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You don't need rest days with what you're currently doing. Keep at it. Keep building it up. Keep up the enthusiasm :)
  • vecchioni23
    vecchioni23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 6 days a week. 3 cardo, 3 weight lifting days. I am the same way. I crave it now. but it is good for your body to have some sort of rest. My off day is Sunday but I usually try to do something- like day my dogs to the dog park and run around with them so I am still up and moving. just not at the gym.