Wheat and Gluten Free Dieting?

Options
mazfos
mazfos Posts: 3 Member
Hi, I just joined MFP yesterday and love it! Feeling really positive but wondered if anyone else is like me and has to avoid foods containing gluten and wheat and how they’re managing to adapt their diets?

Replies

• singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, don't substitute gluten-free breads/pasta/baked goods for the wheat/gluten ones you are avoiding. Eat meat, fish, eggs, salad veggies, fruits, and good fats. I watched my calories, logged in MFP, and kept carbs <100 g/day while following a Primal (paleo with optional dairy) eating plan. See marksdailyapple.com for one type of gluten/wheat/grain-free eating.
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    I am gluten free due to diagnosis, not choice.

As previously mentioned, my diet primarily consists of naturally gluten-free foods. Meet, fish, eggs, fruit, veggies, etc. For carbs/starches, potatoes (especially sweet potatoes) or brown rice are good options. Gluten free salad dressings are becoming easier to find as well - but be careful to look for dressings in your calorie range without a ton of added sugar.

Every once in awhile, I will treat myself to some gluten free pretzels, rice cakes or an Udi's GF cinnamon roll if my calories allow.

Hope that helps!
  • diana031394
    Options
    Just wondering, for people who avoid gluten, do you avoid it completely, or do you have small amounts (in dressings, sauces, etc.?)

I started avoiding gluten for a couple of weeks and noticed a decrease in my arthritis symptoms. Then, I went out of town and started eating bread with every meal again ~ my joints stiffened up and I felt like the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz.

Now I've been almost completely gluten free for the past 3 days and I'm feeling better. Still, I know I've had trace amounts of gluten here and there. One site even suggested I throw out my old toaster because of gluten traces.

To completely eliminate gluten seems a bit overwhelming at this point but I think I would do it if it is necessary for staying symptom free.