Question for those with depression

Options
Does anyone else get really overwhelmed by exercising?

I find that even the idea of light exercise a few times a week is very overwhelming for me. I used to exercise quite a bit in the past and remember how much it used to benefit me, but every time I think about it now, I feel physically sick and anxious.

Replies

• amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    Are you going to the gym or working out at home. I know lots of people have gym phobia, maybe a workout video at home is a good start?
  • Melliemd
    Melliemd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed manic depressive here, so I may be a bit different if you have SAD or clinical depression.

I did at first. And then I got angry at myself, both for when I did it, and when I didn't do it. However, after the first two weeks the endorphins were taking more of an effect and made me become more addicted to exercise. Unfortunately, work got insane and I didn't have any time to work out for several weeks, so then I became extremely critical and angry at myself. :/

I think I was semi-lucky with my manic cycles, since as soon as one hits I just take on *everything* there is. I do a bunch of projects, do more hours at work, work out more, sleep less... So then it becomes a matter of picking just one of those things to keep in routine when the depression strikes again.
  • MyseriMapleleaf
    MyseriMapleleaf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. They have options. Generalized anxiety is no joke and can be treated. Take care of yourself, and not just physically. ;)
  • BflSabrefan
    Options
    working out at home helped me with this. Start by telling yourself that today you will just do 10 minutes. You will most likely do much more once you get started but promise yourself 10 minutes.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I get overwhelmed very easily. Just start small. Instead of thinking about all the workouts you have to do, just think about today. Go for a walk, start moving. Usually that will help and you'll keep going. Sometimes I don't feel like going to the gym but I just tell myself, "Alright just drive there first", and then "ok just go and do 10 mins on the elliptical". And usually I end up doing more than I set out to do and feel better :)
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    working out at home helped me with this. Start by telling yourself that today you will just do 10 minutes. You will most likely do much more once you get started but promise yourself 10 minutes.

Get up in the morning and put all your workout clothes on (whether you go to the gym or start off at home). Promise yourself that if after exercising for 10 minutes you still feel absolutely miserable about it, give yourself permission to quit.
  • lorieric5037
    Options
    The first time I was on MFP, I lost 34 pounds without exercising at all - just changed my eating habits. I was 48 years old, so for me the age thing didn't seem to matter. As you lose weight you'll feel more motivated to exercise...baby steps!:flowerforyou:
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I get like that some days. Until I think about just how few calories I'm "allowed" to eat if I don't exercise. That gets me off my butt, for at least a couple hundred calories of workout.

Mondays are always the worst for me, because of the weekend. I've just spent 2 days hearing my husband talk about how many calories he gets a day to maintain, along with hearing how many more calories he burned than me doing whatever activities we did together (we both wear hear rate monitors, so he's not just picking burn numbers out of thin air). Makes me want to say, "F it." and just quit.

But getting out and doing SOMETHING is usually enough to break the funk a little.

You can do it!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. Depression makes me so exhausted and everything feels so overwhelming. There are some days it's a real battle just to get out of bed much less exercise. Maybe talk to your doctor about your medications...they might need a tune up.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from severe depression and anxiety since I was a child so I understand that it can make it hard to even get off the couch to see friends and family, much less go exercise. However, I started by doing c25k outside with music blasting in my ears so I could ignore anyone around me. Now it's gotten to the point that I'm running 3 days a week, lifting 3 days a week, with 1 rest day per week, and I actually look forward to working out. If you can get yourself to get into it and do something you like doing, it will actually help you.

Doing something you enjoy is key. Whether it's walking, swimming, dancing, whatever... just get yourself to start and have it be part of your routine. It will definitely help.

Obviously, you should also talk to a doctor, but the advice above is my 2 cents. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that the worse I feel, the more I need to exercise. At the very least, I can always walk a mile, get some sunshine, and feel surprisingly better.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I get overwhelmed very easily. Just start small. Instead of thinking about all the workouts you have to do, just think about today. Go for a walk, start moving. Usually that will help and you'll keep going. Sometimes I don't feel like going to the gym but I just tell myself, "Alright just drive there first", and then "ok just go and do 10 mins on the elliptical". And usually I end up doing more than I set out to do and feel better :)

^^^ This. What I did to get myself started and maintain my routine was write it down on my calendar. Because I wrote "Run" on my calendar, it made me feel like, "Ok, I've got to make it happen." If I didn't follow my plan, I'd feel like I let myself down. Now I don't write down my plan because it's part of my life. I know what I do every single Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc. If I skip a workout because life happens, I don't sweat it, I just keep to the plan as best that I can. After all, it's a life plan.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

I find that even the idea of light exercise a few times a week is very overwhelming for me. I used to exercise quite a bit in the past and remember how much it used to benefit me, but every time I think about it now, I feel physically sick and anxious.

my <3 is with you, it will get better! Baby steps always.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way about going to the gym. And as much as I'm not an advocate of the "just get over it" approach, I had to force myself to go and realize that everyone is their to better themselves, not watch you workout. Please feel free to add me if you'd like, I'm always looking for new friends. :) And remember, you CAN do it--you just have to rely on yourself. And, if you have to, start working out at home until you feel like you know what you're doing. That helped me when I wanted to start new floor-type exercises. I hope this helps you!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Just do it. You will feel soooo much better during and after and for the rest of your day. Exercise beats my antidepressant for effectiveness hands down. Just find something that lifts your mood.

I get especially picked up by like long runs on a pretty sunny day or super intense boxing sessions that pump up my endorphins and adrenaline like crazy. Or start the day with 30 minutes of flow yoga and notice how calm and centered you feel for the rest of the day.

BTW: I have had severe clinical depression since childhood, I'm under the care of 2 doctors, at the max does of my medication, with crying spells and suicidal ideations on a weekly basis. So believe me, I know depression, and I've tried every treatment method in every combination. What I am telling you about exercise and depression comes from a wealth of experience.
  • monicarcaro
    Options

Exercising outside makes me more anxious than running outside, but it's because I overthink about people in my town seeing me and thinking I look ridiculous and/or will laugh at me.

For me, it does help overall thought because it really helps me take out my frustrations, especially when I have extreme hypomanic energy that makes me shake and want to do something so badly. For awhile however, especially when I was starting from square one with weight loss - it was very difficult because I only thought about how much weight I had gained and how I hated the way I looked both in the mirror and whilst exercising.

Walking at night is also great. Very relaxing before bedtime, especially when you're listening to your favorite music - and it's a great distraction from bad thoughts, which I always get at the end of the day.
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've had that specific experience, but I know depression makes it really hard for me to go from zero to hourlong workouts. This time around, I started really slow - exercise wasn't even a goal, I decided to work on eating habits first. Then I set really, really low goals and gave myself permission to hit those low bars and go no farther, if I really didn't want to. (Just get out the door, and walk up the street: if you don't feel like going any further or faster, come back. enjoy the night air and come home). I think I only used the option to come back after two minutes once, because once you're out there exposing yourself to something you like (for me, the outdoors and a little bit of running water, or doing stuff that makes me feel strong), the anhedonia shuts off and you can enjoy your exercise without the mental struggle of having to motivate yourself to commit to the longer workout ahead of time.
    Of course you have to keep pushing yourself and extending your goals a bit, but give yourself permission to start and ramp up at whatever pace will work for you. Changing habits is hard enough without fighting anxiety too.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that the worse I feel, the more I need to exercise. At the very least, I can always walk a mile, get some sunshine, and feel surprisingly better.

Yes, this as well! You'd be amazed at what great medicine the sun is. Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    I get like that some days. Until I think about just how few calories I'm "allowed" to eat if I don't exercise. That gets me off my butt, for at least a couple hundred calories of workout.

Mondays are always the worst for me, because of the weekend. I've just spent 2 days hearing my husband talk about how many calories he gets a day to maintain, along with hearing how many more calories he burned than me doing whatever activities we did together (we both wear hear rate monitors, so he's not just picking burn numbers out of thin air). Makes me want to say, "F it." and just quit.

But getting out and doing SOMETHING is usually enough to break the funk a little.

You can do it!

I had a boyfriend like this, and after I told him that him bragging about how easy it was for him to both maintain and how much food he got to eat bothered me, he turned his attitude around and became much more supportive. I'm not going to pretend to know your relationship, but if it bothers you that he does that, you should open up to him and let him know. He may not even realize he's doing it and I'm sure he wants to support your being healthy! xo
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options

I so totally agree with this. I've got depression and anxiety and I have to do this sometimes, too. Also what helps me is to do it first thing in the morning. That way I am not thinking about it and building it up in my head. I made a play list and called it, "Motivation" and it's all the songs that make me feel like kicking *kitten*.

Plus exercise is so incredibly good for your depression. 9 times out of 10 I'm a different person walking out of the gym then I was walking in. Sure, I'm a sweaty mess, but my head is higher and I feel so much better. There's a million different things you can do for exercise and there's definitely something you will like that will help you mentally and physically.