Hi all 1st week

Options
Hi, i'm Gill a 26 year old mammy of 3 from north east England. I have just discovered this site 1 week ago .I bought a cross trainer on Monday and I've been doing 30 mins every day .Weighed myself on Saturday and i.ve lost 5 lbs in the first week . my long term goal is to lose 4 stone .I seem to be coming in under my calorie goal every day but not feeling hungry so I don't really want to make them up for the sake of eating, is this ok? or should I be aiming to use all my allocated calories. Also how realistic is it to be able to lose the 4 stone? I was 14 stone 8 lbs now 14 stone 3lbs and my goal for my 5' 5 " height is 10 stone 8 . Any comments and guidance will be gratefully appreciated .Thanks all............ Gill.

Replies

• Chaosrose8
    Chaosrose8 Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi! I'm under my calorie goal some days, not on others. I wouldn't necessarily eat if I wasn't hungry, but make sure the food you are eating has good nutrients so you are getting what you need. Converting to pounds it sounds like you are trying to lose around 56 pounds with a goal weight of 148? My goal is to lose at least 75 pounds and a goal weight of 165 or less. Think of it in small bits, as one of my MFP friends told me, "I didn't think about losing 70 pounds, I just lost 5 pounds 14 times!"
  • skvoran
    skvoran Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi :) 5lbs is tremendous! Way to go!
  • gillmitch
    gillmitch Posts: 64
    Options
    feels fab to be told that thank you :)
  • gillmitch
    Options
    Hi! I'm under my calorie goal some days, not on others. I wouldn't necessarily eat if I wasn't hungry, but make sure the food you are eating has good nutrients so you are getting what you need. Converting to pounds it sounds like you are trying to lose around 56 pounds with a goal weight of 148? My goal is to lose at least 75 pounds and a goal weight of 165 or less. Think of it in small bits, as one of my MFP friends told me, "I didn't think about losing 70 pounds, I just lost 5 pounds 14 times!"

thanks for that :) and good luck with your journey
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Well done for taking the first step and congratulations on your 5lb loss!

My advice:

- Try not to get disheartened when the weightloss slows down.
    - No matter how often you weigh yourself, try to look at the overall trend rather than the ups and downs. Especially true if you weigh in everyday.
    - Don't beat yourself up if you go off track one day - just chalk it up to "life happens" and get right back on it.
    - Don't do purely cardio exercise - get some strength or resistance training in, even if it's just body weight like press ups and squats
    - The scale is not the be all and end all. Take body measurements - waist, hips, etc. There may come a time when the scale doesn't move but you are still getting smaller.
    - Take photos! Seriously! You may not see the difference in the mirror, but the camera doesn't (often) lie :wink:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You are getting great advice. d3mon4ngel's advice is particularly good. You will lose weight and then you won't, even though you are doing every right, and you cannot get discouraged. Just keep pushing and enjoy the NSV's (non scale victories - such as your clothes fitting better - when you hit the inevitable plateau).

You do NOT have to eat back all your exercise calories, but you must eat at least the amount that MFP tells you should should consume in a day (on the days you are exercising). The advice about healthy food is dead on. Just listen to your body, make good choices and be sure to work out. If you do those things, you will see good results. Cheers!
  • gillmitch
    Options

My advice:

- No matter how often you weigh yourself, try to look at the overall trend rather than the ups and downs. Especially true if you weigh in everyday.
    - Don't beat yourself up if you go off track one day - just chalk it up to "life happens" and get right back on it.
    - Don't do purely cardio exercise - get some strength or resistance training in, even if it's just body weight like press ups and squats
    - The scale is not the be all and end all. Take body measurements - waist, hips, etc. There may come a time when the scale doesn't move but you are still getting smaller.
    - Take photos! Seriously! You may not see the difference in the mirror, but the camera doesn't (often) lie :wink:

I am aiming to weigh in once a week I have asked in a separate thread about some ideas for strength training I seriously cant do a press up to save my life ..I will take some measurements later thanks for that :) and the photos are already taken and they are hideous :( but they are my motivation for what I never want to go back too . thanks for all your advice :)
  • gillmitch
    Options
    You are getting great advice. d3mon4ngel's advice is particularly good. You will lose weight and then you won't, even though you are doing every right, and you cannot get discouraged. Just keep pushing and enjoy the NSV's (non scale victories - such as your clothes fitting better - when you hit the inevitable plateau).

You do NOT have to eat back all your exercise calories, but you must eat at least the amount that MFP tells you should should consume in a day (on the days you are exercising). The advice about healthy food is dead on. Just listen to your body, make good choices and be sure to work out. If you do those things, you will see good results. Cheers!

thank you :)
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options

My advice:

I am aiming to weigh in once a week I have asked in a separate thread about some ideas for strength training I seriously cant do a press up to save my life ..I will take some measurements later thanks for that :) and the photos are already taken and they are hideous :( but they are my motivation for what I never want to go back too . thanks for all your advice :)

Regarding press ups, when I first started I couldn't even do one "girly" press up from my knees. I built up my strength by doing them against the stairs. So to start with I was leaning against the 4th step up, then when that became easier, I moved to the third step, until eventually I could do full press ups flat on the ground. I can currently do about 20 in a row if I push myself, but I know I can do more than that so I'm working towards eventually being able to do 100!!