Gained 13 pounds since lifting. Scary? Not really.

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
I've been lifting fairly heavy almost 2 years now. Before that, I did mostly cardio with only some resistance training with bodyweight exercises (crunches, pushups) and 5 pound dumbbells. My first year of strength training was with weight machines at the gym (I belonged to a planet fitness with limited options), and the last year was free weights at home. I still do cardio about 3x a week, and lift weights 3x a week (Stronglifts 5x5).

I didn't intentionally do a bulk cycle, but I have had periods where I didn't watch my calories as closely as I should and gained some weight here and there. Lifting did not cause me to "bulk up," eating too much did. Most recently, it was a bout of depression this past winter and spring, followed by a flu that kicked me in the backside, and some medications (birth control and antidepressant) that made weight gain easier.

But I kept lifting while I gained weight and although I'd like to shed a little extra body fat (which I'm working on), when I compare current photos to photos from before I did any lifting, I'm amazed at what a small difference it's made.

IMG_1034-copy_zps9401df43.jpg

IMG_1026-copy_zps09f3ba21.jpg

IMG_1028-copy_zpscfb487eb.jpg

And that's why I have to scratch my head when I see these threads from women who cry "bulk!" after a fairly short time lifting, especially while in a calorie deficit. I've been at this two frickin' years, gaining a not insignificant amount of weight, lifting a not insignificant amount of weight (well into the "intermediate" range), and I'm still mostly wearing the same size clothes. There's a few pairs of shorts or jeans that are a little snug, especially in the quads and *kitten*, but... what do I expect? I gained weight. If they're still too small after I drop a little extra fluff, oh well. I'd rather buy new clothes that showcase my current figure than cry over things that no longer flatter me.

Replies

• victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Fabulous post
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    one of these days, we'll get you a new bikini, lorina ;) i tease. i do love how you've taken your progress pics with the same suit so we can see how it fits you throughout the course of your weight loss/gain lifting progress.

but most importantly: I AM HUMBLED BEFORE YOU...I AM NOT WORTHYYYYY.

tumblr_lga79iMOyk1qg4ayxo1_400.gif

you remain one of my truest and steadfast inspirations on MFP! so grateful to have you. i'm looking forward to seeing more changes in my body as a result of lifting ALL THE HEAVY THINGS.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    :laugh: I did just get a new suit. Pink and white polka dots. But I took these photos before I got it.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Bravo. You have one of the best attitudes with regard to sustainable fitness and health of anyone I know!

You are truly a MFP Idol. :drinker:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    This makes me wonder if i have bulked a bit, because i haven't been watching calories as closely as i should have, but i have continued with lifting heavy 3 days a week. I think it's about time for an official cut cycle.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    I don't do heavy lifting, but since I started doing a boot camp class that includes a lot of body weight exercises and some relatively light weight lifting, the size of the area between my shoulders has increased to the point I had to donate some of the tops that fit a bit snug before I started. My weight has stayed about the same, which is fine, since I am at a good weight already and mostly interested in building strength and getting rid of a bit of belly fat.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Your outlook is great! I like your views, very realistic! You are very right! And you look great!;-) enjoy reading your posts!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another post from you full of awesome! Keepin' it real - thank you for sharing!
  • Jadesha
    Jadesha Posts: 17
    Options
    Well done Lorina!!!! I notice a lift in your butt & boobs & shrink in your waist, amazing. I've just started consistently heavy lifting for 2 weeks now & already seeing slight improvements. Everyone is screaming: stop or you'll start looking like a man!!! Smh.......
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Great results!!! Thanks for posting!
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :glasses: supercool! thanks for sharing!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    TL;DR
    just want to say that your boobs look more perky
    double score! :laugh:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    No thigh gap. Not interested.

:laugh: Well done. :drinker:
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Seeing results like this only supports why i changed my outlook on lifting! I'm on board with the Stronglifts5X5 now too! Hoping i see results like yours! AWSOME POST!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    More awesome proof that lifting produces OUTSTANDING bodies!! :)
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting fairly heavy almost 2 years now. Before that, I did mostly cardio with only some resistance training with bodyweight exercises (crunches, pushups) and 5 pound dumbbells. My first year of strength training was with weight machines at the gym (I belonged to a planet fitness with limited options), and the last year was free weights at home. I still do cardio about 3x a week, and lift weights 3x a week (Stronglifts 5x5).

I didn't intentionally do a bulk cycle, but I have had periods where I didn't watch my calories as closely as I should and gained some weight here and there. Lifting did not cause me to "bulk up," eating too much did. Most recently, it was a bout of depression this past winter and spring, followed by a flu that kicked me in the backside, and some medications (birth control and antidepressant) that made weight gain easier.

But I kept lifting while I gained weight and although I'd like to shed a little extra body fat (which I'm working on), when I compare current photos to photos from before I did any lifting, I'm amazed at what a small difference it's made.

IMG_1034-copy_zps9401df43.jpg

IMG_1026-copy_zps09f3ba21.jpg

IMG_1028-copy_zpscfb487eb.jpg

And that's why I have to scratch my head when I see these threads from women who cry "bulk!" after a fairly short time lifting, especially while in a calorie deficit. I've been at this two frickin' years, gaining a not insignificant amount of weight, lifting a not insignificant amount of weight (well into the "intermediate" range), and I'm still mostly wearing the same size clothes. There's a few pairs of shorts or jeans that are a little snug, especially in the quads and *kitten*, but... what do I expect? I gained weight. If they're still too small after I drop a little extra fluff, oh well. I'd rather buy new clothes that showcase my current figure than cry over things that no longer flatter me.

Awesome job! You look great (before and after) but you can definitely see the difference in muscle. KUDOS!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I have been lifting for almost a year now (5/3/1), eating basically whatever I feel like eating, and am up 9 pounds. While, it's somewhat disconcerting to see the higher numbers on the scale, I don't think they are important. I did have to buy some larger work pants as, my new and improved rear/thighs didn't fit into zero's anymore, at least not in a way that was work appropriate. I've been happy with my gains.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! :flowerforyou:

Yeah, I just can't get upset that some of my pants or shorts are too tight when I went from flat bum to badonk. :laugh: Of course a flat marshmallow butt is going to fit into smaller pants than a firm booty!

side-view_zpsf3c521ce.jpg

And for the record, my current lifts are deadlift 145# 1x5, squat 125# 5x5, overhead press 70# 5x5, bench press 90# 5x5, and row 90# 5x5, which are all in the intermediate level in strength standards for my weight.