How many calories am i burning?

Options
Hello this is my first post on the My Fitness pal forum. I have a question. I am currently doing 120 minutes a day on my stationary bike, at 14-16 mph the whole time. I am 233 pounds.

How many calories am I burning in these 120 minutes. I tried using The my fitness pal app for excercise, but it just says "stationary bike moderate" or "stationary bike vigorous, "very vigorous"etc. But I'm not sure how to describe the intensity of my excerise.

What would 14-16 mph on a stationary bike be considered as?

Replies

• erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'd think vigorous myself. I bike regularly and my fastest pace (with intersections slowing me down) is 13mph.

When in doubt, however, you can take the lower of the two (just add them both and then remove the higher one) or do an online search. Problem with stationary bikes is they have different levels of resistance I'm guessing.

You could search online for that manufacturers bike and cals burned too.
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    on my stationary bike i count vigorous as anything greater than 20mph... basically if im going too fast to have a conversation with my kids. at 15 mph i can talk, at 20 mph plus i have to concentrate on breathing.

beware of MFPs calorie counts for your exercise, my bike always gives me a lower number and i go with the lower and enter it manually, better to underestimate than to overestimate.
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Welcome... Me personally, I find that MFP calories burned doesn't match what the actual machines calculation gives.. :huh:
    Which is also very close to calories burned on my :heart: HRM.. (I compare the two for accuracy).. :wink:

As far as moderate vs. Vigorous etc.... If I don't have my HRM or the Machine doesn't calculate I go according the effort I put into my work out.. If I feel I worked my behind off... Sweating w/ a high heart rate I will go with Vigorous and vise versa...
  • apl21
    apl21 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all for replying back.

With my stationary bike, I am hesistant to use the calorie calculations from the bike itself because it doesn't allow you to enter in your weight or other things that influence calorie burning. It seems the pure motion of the wheels will increase the calories burned at a robotic preset pace.

What do you guys think I may have burned in 120 mins at 14-16 mph; 233 pounds ?
  • apl21
    apl21 Posts: 3
    Options
    Bump