HYPOTHYROID- Question

JennaM222
JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a mild hypothyroid that I take medication for. I am currently on the smallest dosage possible. since Taking my meds I have lost 14 lbs ( including help with MFP, Working out, and my new lifestyle. the last couple of weeks I have been feeling sluggish, much like I was feeling before I started taking medication. No energy to go work out ( even though I still do ) and tired with headaches. I am thinking of setting up an appt. to get tested again and see if I may need to up my dosage. could the weight loss and new life style throw my thyroid off again? what do you think? anyone experience anything similar?

thank you!

Jenna

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I too have hypothyroidism and have found that every time I seem to have no energy for over a period of time and feeling sluggish again like before I was on meds when I am tested sure enough I need the medication increased again. I would diffinately make an appt to get tested.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Bump for later. I too have a similar symptoms. I just had my bloodwork done on Tuesday and am waiting for the results... good question!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Get tested again. Losing weight and changing your diet/lifestyle can affect the dosage you need to be on.
    You should be tested every 6 months - 1 year anyway on thyroid medication.

In the first 3 years of my thyroid problems, I changed dosages 4 times. I just recently had to change again here in my fourth year because my levels were a little high.

When I get down to the weight I want to be at, I fully expect to go down in dosage again, but I'm always tested every 6 months just to make sure.
  • sjdjnd20
    sjdjnd20 Posts: 17
    Hello, I also have Hypothyroidism. I am on a dosage of 137 mcg..which is pretty high, I have had it upped 4 times in the last 2 or 3 years and my TSH stays around 10..which it needs to be lower. I tend to feel sluggish when its not under control and I also get dry skin, its different for everybody though! How long have you been on the medication? You need to allow time for it to act so thats why I ask. I also have an increase of fatigue and Headaches and I normally get worse around the time of the month. You can always make the appointment to let your doc know, I know that my doc likes to test every six months. I hope I could help!
  • nia04
    nia04 Posts: 3
    What is your fiber intake like? For some forms of thyroid meds fiber can decrease the absorbancy, My TSH was almost normal then I started a new eating plan with a lot of fiber and it went back up. You probably get tested again, my doc has me in for bloodwork at min. every 6 months (6-8 wks after new dose) Good luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.