Protein

Options
I didnt realize that it was so hard to get the goal amount of protein every day! That being said, is it ok to take a protein supplement such as a shake, if you are not getting the right amount? Im afraid that by doing that it will make me gain weight rather than lose it! Any suggestions?

Replies

• aflewis1
    aflewis1 Posts: 12
    Options
    it's not that hard, just depends on what you're eating. I've had breakfast and lunch already and i'm already over 12 grams of protein from the 45 grams i'm "supposed" to intake.

also..be careful about the protein shakes.. you'd be suprised how many different kinds of protein there are. what you need to find is a MEAL REPLACEMENT of some sort. what i've been doing is for breakfast eating a EAS Myoplex Lite protein bar (Chocolate Chocolate chip crisp is awesome!!) and it alone has 15g of protein in it.

Turkey has a VERY high amount of protein.

just watch what you eat. it's not hard to get a lot of protein.
  • fucifino11
    Options
    Protein shakes are great for you. They are low in fat, low in carb and low in calories. Mis them in after a workout and you will see dramaitc results. Protein is great for building lean muscle, you will not "bulk" up like body builders do. Body builders will usually ingest like 200 grams of protein or something silly like that.

High protein, low fat and clories is always good for you. Keep up the good work. Hope this helped.

By the way, Wal-Mart has some good selections of protein powder. It will do what you are looking for. Don't go to GNC and spend 50 bucks on 2 lbs of protein powder because you don't need to. Wal-Mart has 2 slections and they can taste great and still get protein in your body.
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    Options
    i agree i go over my protein every day by atleast 20-30 points, i eat a lot of chicken fish protein bars eggs etc, it is not very hard at all
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and so I need to pay attention to get enough protein. I would recommend just adding a little to each meal and snack, but if you are still not getting enough you can try a protein powder. there are some made from egg, whey (milk), rice, hemp, and soy. make sure you don't have a senstivitiy to the source of the protein before investing in a whole jar, it can be quite expensive.
  • fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Protein powders won't make you put on weight, protein is used as a weight loss tool by a lot of people.
    What about a tin of tuna? 1 can will have approx 130 calories and up to 30g of protein! That's a massive chunk out of your daily goal.
  • sjdjnd20
    sjdjnd20 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I guess I need to look into some protein bars and more Tuna! I am not a huge meat eater so that may be why its hard for me..im not vegetarian though, I just dont eat ALOT of meat! Thanks for the advice!
  • lsiberian
    Options
    Protein bars are okay in a fix, but they are intended for athletes not the normal populace. Whey Protein powder is a much better option for supplementing a vegan diet. Chicken breast, a Can of Chili, Beans with whole grains are all great sources of protein. I personally don't like powders, but for folks that lean toward vegan diets you probably need them.

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/proteinShake.htm is an excellent shake you can make yourself.
  • fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yea beans etc are good too, a tin of your average baked beans will pack about 15-20g of protein in.
    If you were to replace a few things with say a tin of beans on toast and a tin of tuna (I mix mine with half a chopped onion and some spices) that's 50g of protein from under 500 (probably less) calories.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I didnt realize that it was so hard to get the goal amount of protein every day! That being said, is it ok to take a protein supplement such as a shake, if you are not getting the right amount? Im afraid that by doing that it will make me gain weight rather than lose it! Any suggestions?

If, by taking the shake, it stops your calories being at a deficit, then you will not lose weight. However, if you drink the shake and are still at a calorie deficit, your weightloss will still occur.