Weekend sabotoge

Options
I am looking for advice on ways to NOT sabotage my eating on the weekends. During the week, I count/log religiously. I drink plenty of water and overall do what I should. Then, on the weekends, I don't count and I don't get my water. I don't get too crazy w/ what I'm eating, just not counting.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I am looking for advice on ways to NOT sabotage my eating on the weekends. During the week, I count/log religiously. I drink plenty of water and overall do what I should. Then, on the weekends, I don't count and I don't get my water. I don't get too crazy w/ what I'm eating, just not counting.

Is there a reason you don't log on weekends? My tip would be to continue to log ;)
  • fryfat
    fryfat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Too much social activity on weekends. It's hard to refuse treats when your friends are indulging.

Also, don't be too hard on yourself. The progress you made during the week is still progress - imagine if you hadn't counted at all.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself and your friends: I don't want that.

The problem with friends is they can (specially guys I find) work to sabotage you and they think it's funny. STICK to your guns! and log your cals anyway -- be insistent.

And if it matters a lot then don't go out so much ;) It's a life change that makes the weight come off and stay off.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I still log on the weekends, but it isn't always pretty. I'm getting better at saying "no" when everyone else is indulging, or at least making sure it fits into my calorie/macro budget, but sometimes it's hard. This weekend was one of those weekends :o
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Are you depriving yourself during the week that it leads to this out of control behavior
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter. If you want it badly enough, you'll do it. If nothing else, portion control. Log everything - even on the weekends. It keeps you honest with yourself.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Workout so you have room for more food.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, mainly because we go out and I have no idea how to log the food and drinks with any accuracy, so I tend to guess or not log at all. I have no idea how to get around it other than sit at home and weigh everything! Weekends should be a break from the work week, as long as you don't go too crazy.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Well, you could start with logging on weekends. This weekend, I went over my calorie goal by at least 1,200 calories on Saturday and over 600 on Sunday. I have my goal set at a 5,250 deficit though, so if I stay under goal the rest of the week, I should have a 3,500 calorie deficit for the week - still enough to lose a pound.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    Accountability and willpower is what MFP is all about. We can support you but not if you don't support yourself. Decide what you want to do and stick with it. Good luck! :wink:
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter. If you want it badly enough, you'll do it. If nothing else, portion control. Log everything - even on the weekends. It keeps you honest with yourself.

This! I don't always have the greatest of weekends but I always log it, it helps me make better choices the next weekend :)
  • Lindseydeblieux
    Options
    I have trouble getting my water in on weekends too. Try getting one of those Tervis cups with a lid or a Bubba Keg. Fill it up and carry it with you everywhere. The Bubba Keg will stay cold in the car if you are out running errands.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Workout so you have room for more food.

Sometimes I feel like in order for me to eat I need to workout. I don't feel guilty and even though it's not a big of a serving I would have given myself, I still moderate the amount so I'll still be ok. Today I cut a slice of carrot cake into a 1/3 and ate that portion. I don't feel bad and I'm going to the gym so I ate what I wanted and I'll be ok with my macros(except carbs probably). i'm a happy person right now.
  • langurmonkey
    Options

Log everything - I've logged days where I've been 2000 cals over. There is no shame in it. That is hard to make yourself think, but it's true. No-one really should be judging you for your log. The log is there to give you information and to help you get to where you want to go. It's also there to make you think twice before eating something. Both of those are equally important, but they both rely on you getting into the habit of doing it.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else on this thread, I always log even if it means having to see that I went over by 500-1,000 calories. What I try and do is save some workout calories from the week so I can have them to use over the weekend. I also log on my phone, makes it really easy and quick!
  • darkpurple2
    darkpurple2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My weekends (especially holidays) are tough. I think a lot of it stems from eating out with my family because we're usually on the run. But this past weekend I stuck with logging everything. It helped because it motivated me to step my workout game up. Did I stay under my calorie goal? NO...but I did much better than if I hadn't tracked. HTH
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Log. It doesn't have to be obvious in front of friends and family, but it does help you know where you are at and you may even find that you are enjoying that treat more because your intake wasn't as bad as you thought, or you may opt for a slightly healthier version and still have your treat with friends. Make your goals a weekly goal, so when you eat more on the weekends, you will still be able to tell how you did for the week. You weight goal doesn't have to be 1 or 2 pounds a week, maybe your goal is more realistic for you at a 1/2 pound per week. This is a lifestyle change, you need to do what works for you.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I don't have too much an issue logging on the weekend, thanks to the mobile app. If I'm going out drinking, I just input 6 beers, or 5 shots.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm still very new at this but logging has helped me out. I have the smartphone app, it's takes about the same time as texting someone.

I also try to plan in a big work out and at least one big salad as a meal. For example, we are new to this city, DH's only day off is Sundays and he is a chef. Every Sunday we go run errands and check-out the "competition". Mostly it's for lunch, but sometimes it's both meals. It's never a chain restaurant, so getting calorie counts is hard. So I plan my Saturday mornings to do a big workout (this sat was pilates and a 2 hour bike ride), then I had a huge salad with almost a day's worth of veggies. I'm really into veggies right now and can't seem to get enough.

The rest of the weekend's meals included meatballs from the Italian festival, about 6 beers until 1am with some friends, some free range roasted chicken (amazing) from some small restaurant (amazing), seared tuna among other things. Still no sweets yet. Honestly I don't miss them yet and this is someone who was eating 2-3 DQ blizzards a week.

I find that I can't really control what happens when I leave the house on weekends. Yesterday a simple lunch turned into us driving round for 4 hours. The weekend before I was invited to a parade with some friends last minute. By planning things like a big bike ride early Saturday morning and eating well before I leave the house keeps me on a better track to be spontaneous.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Either log on weekends, or give yourself a slightly larger deficit on week days so you have more wiggle room on weekends.

Also, be aware that a weekend of debauchery and indulgence (my favorite kind of weekend!), even staying within calories, might show as a temporary gain on the scale. So if you're weighing on Monday and it's getting you down, wait until Wednesday.