Foods for a 12hr shift?

Options
:angry: well i know how to screw it up now. I went to work without any food! I was in a hurry and didn't have time to take anything so I had to eat out..i hate to eat out. The foods are so not good for you. I thought I was doing ok by choosing chicken, but nope.. 750 calories!! I almost gave up after that but I know now I must make time to prepare my food for work. I work 12 hr shifts. Anyone got any tips for foods to take?

Replies

• Tbeekins
    Tbeekins Posts: 14
    Options
    :angry: well i know how to screw it up now. I went to work without any food! I was in a hurry and didn't have time to take anything so I had to eat out..i hate to eat out. The foods are so not good for you. I thought I was doing ok by choosing chicken, but nope.. 750 calories!! I almost gave up after that but I know now I must make time to prepare my food for work. I work 12 hr shifts. Anyone got any tips for foods to take?
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Can you supply a little more information? Do you have a fridge, or a microwave? Just one of those two would be sufficient in helping you plan your food. If not, you just have to be a little more creative and prepared for a shift that long. What kinds of things do you like to eat? To prepare?

I find that eating something small every 2-3 hours is better for me than 2-3 big meals a day.
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Some of the food I take to work is:

- Fiber One bar
    - Dannon Lite and Fit yogurt
    - Oranges, apples, grapes
    - Cheese (either string cheese or Cabot individual slices)
    - cottage cheese
    - Hummus and carrot sticks
    - Cedarlane burritos or veggie wraps
    - Ham or turkey sandwich on Pepperidge Farm Lite bread
    - small container of leftovers from dinner the night before
    - can of Progresso soup

I also always pack my breakfast first thing in the morning, either Peanut Butter on Thomas English muffin, a slice of Esskay turkey bacon, or a 1/2 cup of Eggbeaters with a Tbsp of salsa.
  • carrotstick
    Options
    I recently started taking cereal to work - I measure out half a cup and put it in those new ziplock twist and seal containers and then I got a mini size thermos that I store the milk in (sometimes I use soy milk - more flavor and fewer calories and will defenitely last better on a 12 hour shift than regular milk). I also started hardboiling eggs at the beginning of the week and taking one in the morning for a protein boost at work. A bag of baby carrots is also a great snack - sometimes it wears my jaw out going through them, so I'm less likely to shove anything else in my tired mouth! Good luck!
  • Mattysmomma
    Mattysmomma Posts: 268
    Options
    12 hours usually sucks! I bring food and its not enough and when I get home I pig out!! I work 12s during the day, and overnight. Overnights are WAY worse!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter sandwiches are very filling and travel well / keep pretty good. Protein boost. A little higher on the calories than some things, but healthy fat and protein. Plus the way it fills you up you may keep from snacking to much or eating a lot of extras at lunch... Are you at a job where you can snack or a job where you get a lunch break but no food allowed anywhere else? (If you cannot snack, keep a small bag of nuts in your pocket - they are unobtrusive and filling and you can sneak a bite easily.)

Nutrigrain bars travel well. If you have a microwave, oatmeal packets...
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Here's a sampling of one of my days that would work "on the go"!

(Pack a small cooler bag with ice packs - I always did this and kept it under my desk at work) :smile:
    Also add lots of water in between of course, and maybe some green tea to chug when it cools down.

Breakfast - protein shake with berries (drink with straw on the way to work) (200 cals)

@ Work...
    Hr 3....... handful of almonds (100 cals) & apple (50 cals)
    Hr 6....... whole wheat wrap with chicken breast, peppers, lettuce, tomato, etc with low cal ranch dressing (350 cals)
    Hr 9........ sliced peppers, celery, cucumber with hummus for dipping (150 cals)
    Hr 12...... banana (75 cals) & yogurt cup (75 cals)

Dinner after work - mixed greens and veggie salad with balasamic vinegrette and sauteed shrimp (or other lean protein) (350 cals)

Whole day's calories: 1350
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    You could also keep a box of boca/morning star burgers or chicken patties in your freezer. That way when you're in a big hurry you could just grab one of them on the way out the door.

Today for instance I brought the following for lunch

1 Thomas' 100 calorie english muffin
    1 tbs light mayo, 1tbs yellow mustard, 1 tbs pickle relish (it travels easier)
    1 slice light cheese
    2 frozen morning star "veggie grill" patties
    1 container yoplait light (100 calories for the whole container)
    2 wedges laughing cow cheese (for the celery)

Couple things I prepared ahead of time:
    1 stalk celery sliced
    2 handfuls of baby carrots

I also keep at least one box of 100 calorie snack packs and a box of Quaker instant weight control oatmeal, and one of those packs of tuna (not the can) at work. That way I'm covered just in case I run a bit late (which is every day). :laugh:
  • mamagina
    mamagina Posts: 4
    Options
    I just finished a 12 hour shift. The hardest part is planning ahead. I usually leave a case of water at work with some crystal light flavor packs so I won't be tempted to drink soda. I always bring apple/banana/applesauce/grapes, slim-fast snacks, nuts, turkey sandwich for lunch and a salad with tuna/feta cheese/craisins/pecans for supper. I usually go to work with a little cooler:) Since I joined MFP, it seems I am able to make better choices and correct the bad choices before I even make them by logging my food the night before I go to work. Good luck.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I work 12s and 8s.
    I take 2 sandwiches (usually turkey), an apple and abanana with with me. For 8 it is only one sandwich.

Takes only 5 minutes and I'd rather be late for work than not take my food with me
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I understand!!!!!!!!!!

I work southern swing shift and when I'm on OT (12, 16, 18, 20 hours...) I bring a lot of munchies, but I try for healthy munchies. I LOVE raw baby carrots, applesauce cups, cans of fruit packed in 100% juice, small bags of popcorn, bananas, almonds, and my favorite: LEAN CUISINE! Each meal is only like 300 calories, so you can eat 2 during a 12 hour shift, plus a bunch of snacks, and still stay on track!