Excersising daily but losing no weight

Hey guys,

I've been going to the gym everyday for at least an hour since last year and I try to eat as healthy as possible but I'm just not seeing any results. I've changed my workout regime round and tried all sorts of different workouts but nothing is working. The only thing I have heard is that I may be over excersising and not consuming enough calories to keep my body going?

Any help / advice would be great, thanks :)

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    without being able to see your diary it is hard to tell if food is the issue, or if exercise is the issue. I could give my best guestimate, that that is all it would be.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Open your diary so we can peek? :)
  • Nickstery
    Nickstery Posts: 324 Member
    It could be the intensity of the work outs and what you are eating... could you give us an example of a day and week of what you eat, drink and do at the gym?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Weight loss is all about diet, calories in vs calories out.

It doesn't matter how much you exercise if you aren't in a calorie deficit.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    since you've been working out for a year, I'm guessing you could do some higher intensity stuff. check out dailyhiit.com....or read about HIIT. you can get an excellent, fat burning workout in under 15 minutes. but, you're working very hard during that time. Also, HIIT should only be performed 3x per week. give your body enough time to rest and recover. it will help.

but, really, if you haven't lost anything in a year, then there's probably an issue with your nutrition (which you have hidden). you might want to visit with a doctor or nutritionist...someone you're comfortable sharing your diary with.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

^This. OP if you aren't counting calories yet can I suggest you log a normal day and see how many calories you're eating? That would be a great start ti find out what's going on.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    DIET is the most important thing ..... exercise "helps" ... but is not necessary for weight loss. Exercise should burn some calories yes, but more importantly it should "shape" they way your body looks, and should help you keep lean muscle mass while losing fat (provided your calorie deficit is not too large). A really large calorie deficit promotes muscle loss.

So .... without knowing the calories in vs. the calories out .... it's hard to say.
  • Sorry kind of new to fitness pal so didnt realise you couldn't see, have made it public, however I haven't used the diary in a while!:)
  • apayne822
    apayne822 Posts: 1
    PP was right about HIIT. HIIT got me over my weight slump, your body gets used to your routines after a while so you quit seeing results. Weight loss is 70% diet 30% exercise, I had to readjust my calories recently.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Sorry kind of new to fitness pal so didnt realise you couldn't see, have made it public, however I haven't used the diary in a while!:)
    [/quote]

There is your problem...If you do not keep track of exactly how much and what you eat, you cannot complain about not losing weight....Guestimating leads to eating bigger portions and more than you think...

Start logging and come back in six weeks......:flowerforyou:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Sorry kind of new to fitness pal so didnt realise you couldn't see, have made it public, however I haven't used the diary in a while!:)

Are your May calories accurate? 651 total consumed on May 17. 717 total on May 18. 830 total on May 19. If these are accurate numbers and you're still eating that low then you are severely undereating. 1200 is the minimum for a sedentary woman and you aren't sedentary.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    exercise is good, but calorie deficit is how you lose weight. You have to eat enough for nutrition, but not too much. Exercise can help you burn some calories, and will help change how your body looks...but your food intake is where weight loss happens.
  • Thank you! How often would you recommended HIIT though?:)
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member

Agree-I lost all my weight without doing any exercise at all. It's all about the food :)
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Thank you! How often would you recommended HIIT though?:)

HIIT is best done on non-consecutive days, or every other day. You would do best to alternate high and medium/low intensity days. I would say do HIIT no more than 3x a week.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    You know what they say... lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    You can't exercise away a bad diet. You have to log everything. It is about deficit and what you intake varies per person. Since you are active you probably should be eating closer to 1600-1800. And how much do you even weight? what is your height? It isn't about the number on the scale. Most of those charts are a load of rubbish.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Are you trying to tone up or lose weight? Weight loss will stall out naturally once you reach a low enough weight. You will hit your "set point" and weight loss will become damned near impossible...and kind of unhealthy. That certainly doesn't mean you can't tone up or be healthier in your habits, it just means that if you're already at a normal weight it may not be a good idea to focus on weight loss as a primary goal. (Which makes sense if you think about it.) What is your BMI currently?

More on set point: "In adult individuals body weight is maintained at a relatively stable level for long periods. The set-point theory suggests that body weight is regulated at a predetermined, or preferred, level by a feedback control mechanism. Information from the periphery is carried by an affector to a central controller located in the hypothalamus. The controller integrates and transduces the information into an effector signal that modulates food intake or energy expenditure to correct any deviations in body weight from set-point. Evidence for involvement of various factors and physiological systems in the control of food intake and regulation of body weight and fat are reviewed within the context of a control model. Current working hypotheses include roles for nutrients, dietary composition and organoleptic properties, hormones, neural pathways, various brain nuclei, and many neurotransmitters in the regulation of food intake. It is concluded that regulation of body weight in relation to one specific parameter related to energy balance is unrealistic. It seems appropriate to assume that the level at which body weight and body fat content are maintained represents the equilibria achieved by regulation of many parameters."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2253845
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    When I hit a plateau, I tried Leangains.com
    Yes, now that works.
  • badmoose
    badmoose Posts: 25
    Exercise builds lean muscle which is denser than fat. It's not hard to lose fat, gain muscle and not change weight. The best way to tell if this is happening if if your body dimensions are changing. Are you physically getting thinner? If so, you might have nothing to worry about.