Cow’s milk
    Eggs   
    Low fat ice cream    
    Low fat yogurt                                  
    Saltwater fish
    Seaweed (including kelp, dulce, nori)
    Shellfish
    Soy sauce
    2. Eat less of these foods; they slow your thyroid because they block your thyroid and your medication from producing thyroid hormone properly, especially when eaten raw. Cooking these foods inactivates their anti-thyroid properties. These foods are called goitrogens, which are chemicals that lower thyroid function. Eat these foods sparingly or only once every four days:
    Almonds                      
    Cauliflower (Any vegetable that falls into the broccoli family is a goitrogen and shouldn’t be eaten more than twice a week if you have hypothyroidism.)
    Millet             
    Pears               
    Turnips
    Brussels sprouts          
    Corn                      
    Mustard       
    Pine nuts           
    Cabbage                         
    Kale                        
    Peaches         
    Soy (Isoflavones block iodine)
    Canola oil                                                       
    Peanuts         
    Spinach     
    3. Workout every day. All you need is a pair of sneakers and a watch, and you’re ready to go. For optimal thyroid function, you must exercise at least three days a week for 40 minutes per workout. I strongly suggest working out/walking every day so your thyroid gets a boost daily to correct the condition until your thyroid is running at an optimal rate. Circuit training is also great way to lower insulin levels and increase thyroid function. This is easy to do in the comfort of your own home by doing pushups, lunges and sit-ups back to back without rest, pushing yourself a bit to get out of breath.

Bonus: Enhance your thyroid with supplements. Take thyroid-enhancing supplements daily to gently and safely keep your thyroid working optimally for life. The best way to treat anything is to prevent it!  Supplementing is the best way to keep your thyroid running at an optimal rate and to keep your weight under control. Start your supplement regime first by using a very strong, high quality multivitamin.  Most store-bought vitamins are not suitable or strong enough to help hypothyroidism, so look for a very potent high quality multi with high levels of iodine, selenium, zinc, vitamin B, D, E and at least 2 grams of vitamin C. Other nutrients such as omega-3 as well as amino acids also help regulate the thyroid and need to also be considered. One of my favorites that I put all of my hypothyroid clients on is gugglesterones. Guggulsterone or guggulipid’s have been used for centuries in ayurvedic medicine to naturally regulate the thyroid and keep it running at an optimal rate without the side effects of medications. Look for supplement multitaskers from a very reputable source so you don’t have to take 29 different pills every day.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    As the doctor what s/he looked at in the blood tests. See if they checked for T3 and T4. If not, get that checked. After I finally got tested beyond the basics, and got additional meds for the T3 abnormality, I have started to lose weight. Not at an astonishing rate, but I am both older and less active than you are. If you have an abnormality in T3 or T4 that can be corrected, you to may find a difference. Good Luck.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    i'm writing all of this down....that way i can take it to my dr. when i go.
    I'm on a few meds ....the dr said those couldn't be the reason. Lisinopril (blood pressure) , trivora (birth control) , linzess (ibs) , and i take a probiotic. Also the dr has taken me off the last week of my BC pills...therefore i have no period. It's called menstrual suppression. I've always wondered if that could be the cause. Of course my gyno says no,

Supposedly birth control can affect weight gain and loss (not at all for me, but I've seen some threads on here about it and how much weight people gain on bc). I also have IBS but i'm losing at a good rate (1.5 pound average, and i'm down to my last 7 pounds). I've never heard of being taken off the pill and having no cycle, so that's odd, unless it's menopause (which is possible at your age, my mom was in full menopause at 40).

Also note if you eat too little you will not lose. use TDEE to find out how much to eat.
  • 123bree1997
    Options
    I would stay away from gluten to see what happens. I have celiac disease so when i go off the gluten free diet I can gain weight really fast and i'm unable to lose any weight. Also there is this test that can be done that the doctors can tell you if you are likely to develop thyroid problems in the future. I had it done a few years ago and I was at a 95% risk of developing it at any time. I don't remember what the test is called though. Hope this helps
  • LynneseLooksgood
    Options
    Try upping your calories to 1500 per day and just doing some moderate exercising every other day... I was losing steadily from just walking 3 days a week, then I started this darn gym kick working out 5 days a week and didn't lose a damn pound for a month! I'm going back to my old routine.
  • LynneseLooksgood
    Options
    I agree.. I don't think she's eating enough.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    You've only been logging on here for three weeks, and in that time you've gone out (sometimes more than once) to Macaroni Grill, TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday, Ryan's Steakhouse, Freddy's Burgers, Wendy's and Subway. You've listed potato chips, pizza, pasta, burgers, fries, ice cream, gravy, lasagna, mac 'n' cheese, ribs, bread and potatoes. I would have gained 10 lbs in the three weeks if I ate that stuff. Good for you for logging, but those are very high calorie items that are very easy to underestimate the portion size, and the calories published by restaurants can be 30% to 50% low. Then on some days there are mystery items like spaghetti sauce with nothing else, or one night where your dinner consisted of 10 tablespoons of sour cream. Did you really sit there with a spoon and eat spaghetti sauce and sour cream, or did they go on top of things that weren't logged? And why aren't you keeping track of carbs?

Anyway, I'm sure you feel attacked but I'm just trying to point out that you're probably averaging a lot more than 1300 calories a day.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the whole "why can't I lose weight" mentality because it's so often focused on causes like thyroid, medication, genetics, etc. Don't get me wrong, these things can play a role in your metabolism but it's much more likely that your problem was caused by eating too much and not exercising enough.

I think it's important to recognize that and accept your role in that. Once you rule out these other causes (which it sounds like you are since your tests came back ok), put your energy into fixing the problem and losing weight by consistently burning more calories than you consume.

I used to be like you - I'd curse my genetics because I seemed to gain weight so much more easily than everyone else. I worked out hard 6 days a week and couldn't lose weight. When I started MFP I looked at the numbers. I was eating at least 1,500 calories OVER my TDEE every day. Even with burning 500 calories at the gym, I wasn't going to lose weight like that. It's simple math!

You're just getting started on MFP. How long have you been working out? Sometimes the first week or two are an adjustment time where you won't necessarily see the scale move. Be patient. In the meantime, make your workouts consistent. Try to burn 500 calories a day - even if you do it from walking. I burn 750-1000 cals a day through my workouts and after-dinner walks.

The comments on here about you not eating enough are worth thinking about. Not sure if anyone posted this already but just in case, here it is again. The basics of this are sound - if you cut calories too much your metabolism slows, you don't feel good, you don't work out, you don't lose weight. Add some calories and you feel better, you work out stronger, you burn more calories, you build muscle, your metabolism increases, you lose weight and feel awesome. Think of it as creating a positive cycle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+3

Send me a friend request if you want continued support. Shake off the negativity. There's no great conspiracy. YOU CAN LOSE THIS WEIGHT!
  • FrOgLoVeR40
    Options
    eld2310... I went back and looked at the things you mentioned. The sour cream...i fixed that. I had mixed the ranch dip package with it and had cauliflower and celery. I fixed the entry. The spaghetti sauce had lean beef in that and i had that entered. I added carbs to my list too. Thank you for pointing things out to me ...i need it :)
    I'll try to up my calories...i have to figure out how to do that on here.
    I really appreciate all the feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am reading them all and learning a lot... thanks :)
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A few things struck me as I read your question.
    First, what is your current weight and how much do you want to lose?
    I'll echo the roar and request you open your diary......if its full of carbs and little protein, I won't be surprised.
    What was your glucose and A1C level? I wonder along with a few others why the Dr prescribed metformin if there was nothing wrong. That drug helps your cells to stop becoming desensitized to insulin and suggests you may be pre diabetic/insulin resistant/metabolic syndrome. All of which means simple carbs need to be eliminated from your diet, forever.
    Another thought was that you might actually be over training and stressing your body too much. A resting metabolic test would go a long way in letting you know just how many calories your body thinks it has to expend just to meet your demands on a daily basis. It may be much lower than you think.
    I hope you find out what's going on......good luck!