Ipod touch investment and apps?

Options
Hello friends,
I am sad to say my Ipod nano is no longer with us :( However its time to move up in the ipod world. I am going to go all out and get myself an ipod touch.. .cause gosh darn it , I've earned it lol!
However, I am not sooo tech savy, so i was wondering what apps do you like that are simple to use hee hee and come in handy with weight loss ,workouts, and just overall which ones can't you live without ( not based on losing weight)?

Anyhoo, and tips are appreciated!!

andrea!

Replies

• jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    The IPod Touch is the Bomb!! You are going to LOVE it!!!

Here are some great Apps:

My Fitness Pal
    I Heart Radio
    Nike Trainer
    Brain Trainer (Fun Game!)
    Eat What?
    The Weather Channel
    Facebook
    Fandango (For looking up movies in your area)
  • mkpeacock
    Options
    Oh hun if my hubby can figure it out you should do fine lol!! He can barely run a web page! The iPod touch really is simple and I like using the MFP app its an easy app to use!!! I have to say I love to use it with MFP web page and its great for when your on the go you can put in your food and stuff and just use your wifi when you get home to sync it up! Its not hard at all!!! The only thing I had problems with was my WiFi here at home I had to have phone company come and add device to my wifi..... But that didnt take them but a min! Hope you get one and enjoy it oh and BTW I have like everything I need on a 8GB and i still have more then 5GB of space left for more music and pics so dont stress to much if you dont know how much space you need!!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I really enjoy my ipod touch! :-)

The exercise/weight loss programs I enjoy:

MFP
    C25K
    200 Situps
    200 Squats
    100 Push-ups

I'm sure there are more, this is what I've use(d).

Random programs I love:

Facebook
    XmasCount (down!) :-)
    Peeps Show (Washington Post's favorite Peep dioramas!)
    Kindle (You don't need a Kindle for this to work, you can still purchase books and read it on your device. If you already have an account you can tie it into your account!)
    And I enjoy a bunch of games :-)
  • burnand
    burnand Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    iFitness is a great app for workouts and of course MFP.

Angry birds is a fun game, when time needs to be killed.

Good luck with the iPOD.

PS - I'm from windsor too
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    So weird this question was asked today. I was just searching for an ipod last night and looking at different apps on the apple website. Thanks for asking this and thanks to all those who are posting their favs! One question I have for those who already own an ipod, even after you install apps, do you always have to have a connection to use the apps?
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So weird this question was asked today. I was just searching for an ipod last night and looking at different apps on the apple website. Thanks for asking this and thanks to all those who are posting their favs! One question I have for those who already own an ipod, even after you install apps, do you always have to have a connection to use the apps?

Some do not require a wifi connection for use, and some do. It just depends!
  • IrishChik
    Options
    The IPod Touch is the Bomb!! You are going to LOVE it!!!

Here are some great Apps:

My Fitness Pal
    I Heart Radio
    Nike Trainer
    Brain Trainer (Fun Game!)
    Eat What?
    The Weather Channel
    Facebook
    Fandango (For looking up movies in your area)

thanks to your great friend that convinced you to buy it! LOL
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options

Not necessarily. Read all about the app before purchasing because you will be told if you can use it on the touch, on the phone or both! The difference is on the touch access to the internet isn't required where as on the phone it is.

Word to the wise: MFP does require access to the internet if you want it to sync to your diary. It is a great tool if you log in at home (sync it), go out through the day and log your food on it, then sync it when you get back home. The program does have a catalog of nutritional information (though it isn't nearly as complete) so it can be slightly difficult to make wise choices out there!

You will discover, if getting the touch, that there are a TON of places out there that have free wifi! Staples, cheap hotels, some restaurants, and more. So if you NEED access to the internet it is possible. :-)
  • IrishChik
    Options
    It is worth the investment. I use it for so much more than listening to music.

I have 1000s of apps saved to my itunes and I trade out games every so often when I get bored. That way the apps dont take up all the space that I like to have for music.

My Fitness Pal
    Spark Recipes

Pandora (for music)
    Flixster (for movies)
    Facebook
    MySpace
    Ping (for setting status on all social networks)
    Ebay
    Paypal
    Blogger (for my blog)
    CraigPro (for craigslist)
    Meebo (links all my IMs in one handy place)

Lots of games, especially ones I can fiddle with while on the treadmill.

I also have a few apps that give me a daily list of free aps.

I have a great to do app called Tomorrow.
  • cnance
    cnance Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I loved my Ipod touch... now my wife has it though... I loved it so much I got tired of carrying it and a phone all the time and got the iPhone4 this summer.

Apps...

Words with Friends
    Epicurious (recipes, even makes shopping lists)
    Google (has voice search, love it!)
    MyFitnessPal
    Accuweather (like this better than other weather apps and still free)
    Bejeweled
    Angry Birds
    Others that have already been mentioned...
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love my IPhone touch. I use it for everything. I call it my IPhone entertainer (I have games on it for my grandkids) I have the Amazon Kindle app to download books, I rent or buy movies, play games, take photos, email, and text and call. Of course I have the MFP app too.:smile:
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    I absolutely love my iPod touch and use it like a mini computer. I use it every day. So handy and great for traveling too. Check your email, surf the web and all that stuff you do on the computer without having to carry your computer. I even use it for keeping track of my schedule for work. My fav apps are Facebook(of course), Twitter, APmobile(news), Weatherbug, Pandora, PhoneFlicks(syncs up with my Netflix acct), Kindle, BING, Skype and a bunch of shopping apps like for Target, Kohls, Best Buy, Walmart and Ebay.
    I even have an app to find free wifi. And of course, MFP is awesome. That's how I found this website. I found the app first and tried it and then went to the website to set it all up.
    I'd love to have an iPhone but really don't need it so an iPod is perfect.
  • lukat
    lukat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Many people have already mentioned apps that I like, but I also want to recommend the Nike+ app, which works with the shoes if you buy the chip insert. It tracks my jogs and is pretty motivating.

There is also an app for This American Life, the NPR podcast. It has every episode from past years, and is great for distraction whether I am exercising or doing dishes!

Eating Well has a bunch of great recipes with nutritional info. This week I made the shrimp po' boys and strawberry arugula salad. Amazing!

And finally, the Period Tracker is great for women. There are many different versions, but I like the ease of tracking for this particular app. Women can track everything from weight to mood to temperature if they are trying to conceive. Good stuff!
  • sfischer1979
    sfischer1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Favorite apps on my iPhone right now have to be:

MFP
    Foursquare (some places have nice discounts if you check in so many times)
    Facebook
    Twitter
    myLite (Flashlight app, great when the power went out last week!)
    RedLaser (Scan barcodes at the store to find it cheaper online)
    Angry Birds (such a great time wasting game)
    Weatherbug
    CraigsPro
    iBooks
    Bill Cosby (Yes, he has his own app!)
    Gorillacam (better camera app than the preinstalled one)
    Moviefone
    redbox
  • sherri79eaton
    sherri79eaton Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Apps I love are

ESV bible app
    Facebook
    MFP
    Words with Friends (my Favorite)
    Espn SCore center
    Getrunning (C25K app)
    Allrecipes
    Footsteps(pedometer)
    IMBD(Movie info)
    The weather Channel
    twitterific
    unblock me
    Bump
  • jacksonalan
    Options
    I found MFP by searching for apps! I have a 2nd Generation, 64GB, version. I have had an extensive music collection for years. I have every pop tune from 1956 to 1979 that charted in that years' Billboard Top 100 or peaked as high as #20 on any weekly chart. The same thing criteria applies to the country charts from 1989 to 2009. Plus, I have loads of Sinatra, Dean Martin, Doo Wop, live albums and box sets of my favorites... over 10,100 songs with about 4 GB of space to go.

If I want to listen to all the pop tunes from 1972 while walking, I have a playlist already set up! I love it... plus the earphones contain a microphone. You press a button on the headphone cord and say "play artist Jim Croce"... it replies "playing songs by Jim Crow" (ah, close enough) ... and you're set.

The apps I use the most are:
    TV Guide
    Facebook
    Suduko2
    GlucoseMate
    CashCab
    VEVO
    DrudgeReport
    iStockManager
    AccuWeather
    Kindle
    Cheap Gas!
    AllRecipes
    Pandora
    iheartradio
    77 WABC (radio)
    Hungry Shark
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour (all above were free, except this one)
  • ActionJackson
    Options
    Along with MFP, I installed NutritionFacts, CHunter, Eat This Not That, and iTreadmill. Ipod touch is definitely worth the investment. I plug my MFP data in real time so it doesn't seem like a hassle. Message me if you have any questions. I have tried tons of paid apps.
  • reginabroyles
    Options
    if you want to use a live app like mfp or facebook you do. but if you want to play the games you do not. I have an i phone and my daughter has the itouch, they are great! if you look at the blackfriday.com adds you can get good deals on them right now. I got hers for 200$ with a 50$ itunes card last year. it was a great deal. I seen target i think had one with a 30$ card. You can download alot of music from livewire or from your cd's.
  • debbiepringle
    debbiepringle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, I see people with a gadget on there arm. Possibly it tracks there calories or heart rate or something. Does anyone know what gadget that may be?