Desk Jobs - What to do?

Options
lorigem
lorigem Posts: 446 Member
I have a desk job but I don't want that to be an excuse not to move around. Are there ways you have found to go around the "sedentary" work lifestyle? I check the mail downstairs (using the stairs) daily. I use a 16 oz Styrofoam cup for water so I have to go to the Water Cooler down the hall to fill up 2 or 3 times a day. But mostly I'm at my desk working.

Anything you've tried to shake it up? I'm all ears!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Work out after work. I work a desk job 8-5, M-F and workout after work.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I exercise after work and on weekends.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Throw chair away use yoga ball if they'll let you.

Request standing work station.

^Those 2 don't work all the time. I use the alternative approach. Move when off work.
  • kcebolsk
    kcebolsk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I work out after work. The gym is next door, so I force myself to go, even when i don't want to. Pack your bag in the AM, or the night before and take it to work so you have no reason to not go!!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I get up once an hour and walk to the restroom or to the kitchen for water, or just up and down the hall. I also stand sometimes when I talk on the phone (yep, get funny looks for that) and stand while I do some of my work like filing papers. Then I workout after work.
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I work out either during my lunch break or after work and on the weekends. I also take a brisk walk outside or do laps around the office during my morning and afternoon break.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I too work a desk job and am sitting up to 10 hrs a day. I take my 10 min "smoke" breaks and go walk around the building a few times. I also use a smaller cup than 16 OZ so that i can fill up on water more frequently. I also work out 5 days a week directly after work.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Exercise after/before work.

I have found it's the only way to stay sane haha.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I go on 2 10 minute walks per day in our building and take the stairs. By the time my 10 minute walk is done I burn about 115 calories (I wear a fitbit so due to the stair climbing which is about 8 floors per 10 minute walk I burn more than just walking).

Also, I get up for 1 minute every hour and get some sort of movement. It could be lungers or squats or just something to get me moving. I have even set reminders on my Outlook, so I am reminded that I have to get up and move!!

I also have a workout ball that I use instead of my chair for long periods of time..... then I joke to my co-wokers that if they need anything done come to be because I'm "on the ball" :bigsmile:

My workouts are usualy before work.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I work out before work, and I also take a couple 10/15 minute breaks to walk around the building. I keep an old pair of tennis shoes in my desk drawer. About 3 days a week I pack my lunch, eat at my desk, and then use my lunch hour to walk around the building. Most places are required to give you (2) 15 minute breaks a day (at least in my state). I also use the bathroom on the first floor of building (my desk is on the second floor).
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Throw chair away use yoga ball if they'll let you.

Request standing work station.

^Those 2 don't work all the time. I use the alternative approach. Move when off work.

I want a standing work station so bad!! I just have to get it approved!
  • BIGMOMMACHINOS
    Options
    I have a desk job too. Working out at the gym is almost impossible because after work I have to cook and clean up after my kids. So I put on head phones or turn on the radio and do power cleaning. Instead on cleaning and cooking at a low moderate pace, up the pace. Instead of picking up alot of things at once I go back and forth, I get my sqatting excercises and walking excerise workout just doing that. Dance while you cook. I don't suggest it when your cutting something :) no but serious. Not only will you enjoy it but the kids will too. :)
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I go on 2 10 minute walks per day in our building and take the stairs. By the time my 10 minute walk is done I burn about 115 calories (I wear a fitbit so due to the stair climbing which is about 8 floors per 10 minute walk I burn more than just walking).

Also, I get up for 1 minute every hour and get some sort of movement. It could be lungers or squats or just something to get me moving. I have even set reminders on my Outlook, so I am reminded that I have to get up and move!!

I also have a workout ball that I use instead of my chair for long periods of time..... then I joke to my co-wokers that if they need anything done come to be because I'm "on the ball" :bigsmile:

My workouts are usualy before work.

This is exactly what I do...except the ball.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Exercise after/before work.

I have found it's the only way to stay sane haha.

Agreed. I took a week off from the gym a couple weeks ago- definitely showed me how much of a stress reliever it is.

I workout before work and every 20 minutes or so I get up and walk a couple laps around the building (or go to the bathroom, get some water, etc.) If I'm swamped with work I'll get up and walk around about once an hour.
  • caitlinm924
    caitlinm924 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I workout 7 days a week (after work and weekends) to make up for the amount of sitting 40 hours/week. I also take a double walk around the building once an hour (for circulation and to change views), I will go to the bathroom just to wash my hands or check my makeup -- quick little movements, but they add up. I also spend my lunch breaks walking at work outside. Other ideas are offering to run errands throughout the building, taking stairs only, and doing some at-the-desk workouts (if you Google them, there's tons). Last week I did desk-workouts for 15 minutes and burnt over 100 calories, so they work!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do mini-workouts during the day. 10-15 min of squats, pushups, tricep dips, or any type of non-jumping exercise in my office. Or just take a short walk or a longer walk at lunch.

After work I do a longer workout. DVDs or strength training at home, or some type of outdoor exercise (hiking, biking, running, etc.)

In the past I've worked out in the morning before work, but I'm not much of a morning person so I prefer after work.
  • Gdeeaz
    Gdeeaz Posts: 60
    Options
    I work out after work. One of my co-workers bought a mini cycle that fits under her desk and she uses it throughout the day. The one below cost about $50.

41reiTyS3lL._SX342_.jpg
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I thought about getting that cycle to go below the desk, but it won't fit under mine, lol.

I also do mini workouts throughout the day, mostly so my ankles don't swell. D:

Definitely get to moving when not at work. I gained a lot of my weight when I got a desk job. I was not super active after work to begin with, and then when I became not-so-active at work the lbs piled on.

But, yea, moving around as often as you can while it work is good. I have taken phone calls standing, myself, lol. Just get so tired of sitting!
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I like to work out before or after work. I get up and walk around often, make excuses to go to the copier and so on. My kids keep me fairly active on a daily basis, so that helps as well.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs so far, and I have a desk job (9 - 5). My goal is to walk 15,000 steps per day. I walk to work and back home after work because I live in the city and work in the city. I always walk during my hour lunch break (12 - 1) and after work (6:00 - 7:30). Then I just walk from doing daily things like getting ready, cleaning, errands, etc. On weekends, I tend to take walks as well.