Burning less than 300 calories on Insanity?

Options
I just started Insanity yesterday so today I did the plyometric cardio circuit and i burned 273 calories. I worked as hard as I possibly could and was sweating a lot so I know it's not that I didn't push myself hard enough.
I know it's probably because I'm a pretty petite person (18 yrs old, 5'1" and 93 lbs), but since I'm burning so little calories, will I still get the results that Insanity is supposed to give? (like a super toned body)

I'm a distance runner so I'm taking a break from that to do Insanity, but if running is going to keep me in better shape than Insanity then I don't want to waste my time. I typically burn 350 calories doing a 5 mile run which takes me about 35 minutes. So what do you think, is Insanity worth it and will it give me the toned body that I want or should I just stick to running?

Replies

• bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    BUMB just to see what peeps say
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think Insanity is a great workout because of how you use your body. You sound like you are in pretty good shape, still, if you can run 5 miles in 35 minutes, it doesn't mean you are conditioned the same for a workout like insanity (HIIT). I think keep it up, make sure you take before pictures, I think with your petite build, you will notice a change more in pictures than you would on the scale or with measurements.

Are you using a HRM to figure your calories burned? Remember, if the insanity workout is 40 minutes, probably 8-10 of that is cool down and "rest" breaks. I would suggest sticking with it. I think you will notice a difference in the tone in your arms, legs, and booty as you continue on the program

Good luck!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2, 150lbs and burned about 340 during month 1 and 550 during month 2. It's a full body workout, so you have the benefit of working some of your upper body. If you want a "toned" body then you will need to weight lift. The running/Insanity will help with cardio, but neither is an alternative to lifting.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    At 5'1" and 93 lbs you won't burn the same calories as someone that is say 5'6" and over 200 lbs (like I was when I did it). How many calories you burn depends on several factors. Yes you WILL get results. You've only just done one day, don't psych yourself out and doubt the program you have barely;y started! Don't get so hung up on how much, or how little, you burn. Other workouts will give a higher burn, some might be lower. But you will get a killer workout regardless.
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a "super toned body" then the solution will be resistance work with weights. Yes Insanity has bodyweight resistance exercises, but that is less likely to get you that toned muscle definition you desire. Your cardiovascular capacity is already outstanding, so Insanity has little to offer you (running 7 min miles is no small task). So incorporate moderate weightlifting and I believe you'll see superior results than you will with Insanity. And yes I've done Insanity and Insanity Asylum, both multiple times, so I speak from experience :)