SUGAR - but it's fruit?

Options
Sugar is the one thing I can't seem to keep in the green. . . Ugh.

Today, for example, I'm doing really well calorie wise, sodium, fat, protein - everything. Everything but my sugar intake. I'm having cherries for my midafternoon snack, and tonight I had planned on grilling a banana with some honey and cinnamon. Just these three things are about 46 grams of sugar (according to MFP). My allotment for the day is only 40!

The fruit plus the yogurt I had this morning (10 g of sugar) is putting me way over my budget. But it's fruit! Should I care that much?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There are about a billion of these threads if you use the search function...generally sever per day. The MFP recommendation for sugar = the American Heart Association's recommendation for ADDED/REFINED sugar that gets put into just about everything processed...not to mention people tend to drink soda like it's water...

I guarantee you the obesity epidemic is not due to, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." There is no formal recommendation that I'm aware of for total sugar. Just use common sense...and if you don't have a medical condition...i.e. diabetes, pre-diabetes, or are otherwise insulin resistant, I wouldn't worry about it. Manage your macros, not your micros...
  • aprilmaybee
    Options
    Sorry for crowding the boards then. . .

Thank you.
  • Gdeeaz
    Gdeeaz Posts: 60
    Options
    I replaced the sugar tracker on my diary with protein. From what have read on MFP the tracker recommendation is for added sugars. I really wish it would keep natural sugars and added sugars separate.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

Thank you.
    He could have gone about explaining that in a more polite way, but yeah, I do have a stock explanation stored away just for sugar threads. MFP needs to get rid of sugar as a default column (and use fiber instead, perhaps) and have a FAQ as a sticky.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    What kind of yogurt are you eating in the morning? Does that have added sugar, sucralose, etc? Greek yogurt has no added sugar. A banana is considered two servings of fruit plus it is loaded with natural sugar. Must you add honey (sugar) to it? Can you try it without adding honey? Some fruits such as berries have lower glycemic impact. If all you are looking at is the sugar grams, then switch around with your fruits to see what you like better and without going over on sugar. I myself adore fruit and once you cleanse your palet of added sugars, you will see that it is sweet enough by itself!

Good luck on your weight loss journey. You are on the right path!
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Don't be sorry, that's what they're here for :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    MFP needs to get rid of sugar as a default column (and use fiber instead, perhaps) and have a FAQ as a sticky.

Yep.
  • stacksue
    stacksue Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was just about to ask the same thing. Every day I'm over on my sugar and it drives me crazy. I don't even like sweet things! I wish I could just hide the column.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Throw away the sugar tracker. Just track carbs. Sugars are carbs so it's redundant.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I was just about to ask the same thing. Every day I'm over on my sugar and it drives me crazy. I don't even like sweet things! I wish I could just hide the column.
    You can in your diary settings...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Thank you.

You're not crowding the board...I just wanted you to be aware that there is a search function and that there are numerous topics like this that have been answered numerous times. You can just save yourself the time and hassle is all.

You can...go to your settings and select something else to track.
  • aprilmaybee
    Options
    MFP really does need a FAQ! Definitely going to look at adding fiber instead.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There is no formal recommendation that I'm aware of for total sugar.
    90 grams per day - EU and Australia / NZ

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq