protip on deadlift

Options
ig-urethane-500.jpg

Don't use these plates, use the circular ones.

Replies

• Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    why?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yeah, why? I like the ones that don't roll away.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I've used these plates before, and it always throws off my form making me reset my form with each rep. The bar always rolls forward unevenly with these edged plates, so if you do not reset your form with every rep, your form is compromised with these plates and you place yourself at risk for injury.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    a bit harder to line up with a mirror, but, you shouldnt be looking in the mirror during reps anyhow... also, as you tighten up its cant move towards your shins at all, so, you better be set up tight against the bar or maximal loads will try to pull you forward.... i don't think its really bad, per se, but, I'd prefer circular weights myself.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    more pro tips! moar!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I've used these plates before, and it always throws off my form making me reset my form with each rep. The bar always rolls forward unevenly with these edged plates, so if you do not reset your form with every rep, your form is compromised with these plates and you place yourself at risk for injury.

I was worried that they might rotate awkward when you "touch and go"... i guess this can be a serious issue.
  • dbmata
    Options

So you just can't use them.

That's far from a protip.
  • dbmata
    Options

I was worried that they might rotate awkward when you "touch and go"... i guess this can be a serious issue.

Naw, not with touch and go, and least not in the years I used plates like these at MIT. They did make loading and de-loading a bar super simple though, and kept it from rolling away if you put it down.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I didn't know this, but according to Mark Rippetoe in this thread these types of plates (hex/edged plates) were designed for Hammer Strength Machines.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/archive/index.php/t-10174.html
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I do hate hate using the hex shaped plates for deads. They do tend to roll awkwardly when you touch the floor which can pull the lower back. This has happened to me before.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The hex plates don't always hit flat and they WILL roll on you. I find it less common when you have 6 or more 45lb plates on the bar but it's a pain in the *kitten*, especially when you're pushing for reps. Use round if you can.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    The hex plates don't always hit flat and they WILL roll on you. I find it less common when you have 6 or more 45lb plates on the bar but it's a pain in the *kitten*, especially when you're pushing for reps. Use round if you can.
    I think most of us here are doing <585lbs so it shouldn't be a common problem, but good to know.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I think most of us here are doing <585lbs so it shouldn't be a common problem, but good to know.

LOL, not 6 per side. :D At 315lbs+ it seems to be less of an issue. Moral of the story, use round plates if available.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

You are supposed to reset your form with each rep.

DEAD Lift

and yeah, like someone said, even with warmup weights (for men) there is likely enough weight on the bar that it wont roll.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I used these plates last week when I was in a commercial gym. Nothing felt right at all. And my deadlift was a mess. Normally I can hit 500+. Tried 450 and it felt bolted to the floor.
  • JNick77
    Options
    You are supposed to reset your form with each rep.

Technically no you don't have to reset, you can very much touch and go, however; resetting is safer and reduces the force of the weight hitting the ground and aiding in momentum on the next rep's concentric movement especially when using bumper plates. Resetting is definitely best all-around. The problem with the Hex weights is that even if you reset they hit wrong then you have to either roll the weight back into position, which kinda sucks, or move yourself into the new position. I'm not sure which is worse but hex plates suck balls for any DL or Power Clean movement from the floor.