Your Daily Log

Options
How many start their day with MFP and your daily food log?

What I do is I log in copy everything from the day before that I'm going to eat for the entire day, then adjust as needed (like changing meals if something new is planned) and then throughout the day I make little adjustments as I go.

For example I always eat Oatmeal (99% of the time) for breakfast so I can copy it daily and then adjust the amount (1/2 to 3/4 cup depending on what else is added) and add whatever else I might eat that's not normally done (like a banana).

Then if I work out (like today I rode 13 miles) I'll 'add' in what I choose to eat because of the workout -- so today I drank a Creatine drink before the ride and followed the ride with a protein bar so I add those to my snacks (now listed before my lunch) and since I burned so many calories I add a shake into my after lunch snack spot because I'll most likely eat it.

At the end of the day I'll adjust the log by adding or deleting as needed so that once dinners done I'll know where I am at (and if I need a nice 2 or 3 mile walk to burn off a few extra calories).

Do you do this? If not, how do you use the log? (also I don't use a smart phone so maybe smart phone users could chime in too).

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone and because of the app, I log while I'm cooking.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I log in a similar way to you - I copy most of yesterday over, but make adjustments if things change. I try to give myself a buffer of 100 calories or so for changes.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I copy meals (usually breakfast) as well. I tend to pre-log in the morning that way I can plan and adjust my calorie burn as needed. If I have plans to go out to dinner, I look up the menu and nutritional info online ahead of time so I can stay within my goals.
    I don't like surprises!
    :wink:
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I pre-log the night before and adjust through out the day. I'm trying to eat within a particular protein/fat/carb ratio. I find planning the whole day allows me to maintain the proper ratio much better, than meal by meal planning.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I copy meals (usually breakfast) as well. I tend to pre-log in the morning that way I can plan and adjust my calorie burn as needed. If I have plans to go out to dinner, I look up the menu and nutritional info online ahead of time so I can stay within my goals.
    I don't like surprises!
    :wink:

THIS! I have done that also and it's awesome :D Glad I'm not the only one ;)
  • mccluskeybl
    mccluskeybl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I put my breakfast in as I eat it (which is often the same thing) and also my lunch (which is also similar each day) so that I know how many calories I'll have for a snack and dinner in the evening. Dinner is the challenge as I need to think of my kids and husband. So I like to 'save' calories to ensure I can eat most of what they eat and still feed them food they enjoy. :)
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    I pre-log the night before and adjust through out the day. I'm trying to eat within a particular protein/fat/carb ratio. I find planning the whole day allows me to maintain the proper ratio much better, than meal by meal planning.

Agreed. I tend to do the same thing and often check my dietary fiber and protein to see where they are at as well as my sodium -- that way I can adjust as needed.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    I put my breakfast in as I eat it (which is often the same thing) and also my lunch (which is also similar each day) so that I know how many calories I'll have for a snack and dinner in the evening. Dinner is the challenge as I need to think of my kids and husband. So I like to 'save' calories to ensure I can eat most of what they eat and still feed them food they enjoy. :)

I work from home and often cook but we tend to eat mostly the same things as well as left overs. I find the trick for me is to religiously have that big salad before dinner (2-3 cups with only 80 cal dressing that I measure out) -- this helps me to not eat so much of whatever we're having but we've changed our eating as a family (my wife is very supportive of my weight loss and even though she doesn't need to lose ANY she's also eating better to help me out).