Whats in your packed lunch (or take to work box)

Options
rmmul4.jpg

Ok, probably like most on here, i work 5/6 days a week, and usually take 2, sometimes 1 meal and snacks to work everyday (pending on shifts etc i do) Saves on cost etc plus the minimal breaks i do get, the nearest shop is far away and i would get the sack for being to late!

So since ive been dieiting. My usual breakfast is in the box:
2 weetabix,
sultana bran
frosties
semi skimmed milk
500/550 calories.

I have half a Azera latte whilst walking to work 37.5 calories for a full cup and the brunch bar. So im starting my eating and metabolism not long after getting up.

When im on afteronoons. I sometimes have crumpets with butter, but trying to lay off the cards. So im having alot of salads, or something with salad.

In the big box is, lettuce, carrot, red cabbage, red onion, pepper, gherkins, crabsticks and this occasion some pasta, but i usually dont have the pasta. Just add more salad and maybe a pitta.

My protein is southern fried quorn burgers. Or turkey burgers/drummers/dinosaurs etc. The Quron burgers are only 120calories.

Snacks. 2 nectarines.

Walk to work:155 calories
Breakfast: 550
Snacks:138
Tea: 500-700 (pending on the pasta)

When i get in, i may have a snack bar, or more fruit.

I also now drink no added sugar vimto cordial which is 5calories for every 250ml.

So whats in your daily "take to work box", do you have most meals at work, and constantly stuggle on what to take and make before hand? Do you go out everyday and buy expensive meals, salads etc? Struggle to find the time to make meals etc.

Replies

• Nancy_CM
    Nancy_CM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Dotting in. :)

I need some new ideas. I had been packing leftovers from previous dinners, and realized I don't care much for leftovers. They didn't reheat well in the work microwave, were too high in fats and carbs, and I'd find myself looking for excuses to get something else.

Then I began bringing simple salads, with dressing on the side. Sometimes with chicken or part of the dinner/leftover protein.
    Boring! I again found myself looking for excuses to get something.

No more! I need to commit to bringing a healthy and interesting lunch. I even got these adorable Bento boxes to try and amp up the interest levels.

Great thread idea!
  • Stlarenas
    Stlarenas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A typical week of work lunched for me is:

- leftovers from the dinner I made the night before (I always plan to have at least one serving left over when I cook)

or

- if I didn't cook the night before or didn't have any leftovers in the freezer to bring my go to sack lunch is whole wheat crackers topped with laughing cow cheese wedge, deli sliced rotisserie turkey and grape tomato halves - with a side of low fat cottage cheese over frozen mixed berries. (all of this for under 400 calories)

or

- if I don't have either of the above to bring I will run out and get fast food (maybe once a week). Typically a 6" veggie on wheat with pepper cheese from Subway. Though every once in a while I crave McD's fries and will give into a cheeseburger kids meal with fries, apples, and a diet coke. :)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    1. Ice pack
    2. Water bottle
    3. Salad
    4. 2 cans of diet dr. pepper
    5. Fruit or protein shake/bar
  • Stlarenas
    Stlarenas Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I need some new ideas. I had been packing leftovers from previous dinners, and realized I don't care much for leftovers. They didn't reheat well in the work microwave, were too high in fats and carbs, and I'd find myself looking for excuses to get something else.

Do you have access or can you bring in a toaster oven to work? I find that most of my leftovers are a lot better if I heat them in the toaster over instead of the microwave. And often I bring in the leftovers in various stages of being assembled and finish the cooking at work. (for example if we had fajitas the night before I will bring everything in separately and cook quasidillas with the leftovers in the toaster oven at work)
  • bcchick33
    bcchick33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - I have a bag of rodgers poridge oats that I keep in the fridge at work. I will usually bring something to have with that, (rhubarb, strawberrries or a banana)

Lunch is either: a bit of leftovers, or lots of veggies or a lean cuisine style meal
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Do you have access or can you bring in a toaster oven to work? I find that most of my leftovers are a lot better if I heat them in the toaster over instead of the microwave. And often I bring in the leftovers in various stages of being assembled and finish the cooking at work. (for example if we had fajitas the night before I will bring everything in separately and cook quasidillas with the leftovers in the toaster oven at work)

This. I'm lucky to have a toaster oven and a george foreman at work. They have made a huge difference in what I'm able to bring to work and heat up.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Banana - for morning break
    tuna salad wrap and french frie (crisps) for lunch
    Boiled egg, vegatable sticks and a cereal bar for afternoon break

Only lunch varies. I like to take soup!!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Usually, I have the following:

Coffee in a travel mug for breakfast
    Almonds and a serving for fruit for an early morning snack (I can't eat right away but by 9:30-10 I'm ready)
    Salad w/ protein (usually chicken) for lunch (other toppings/dressings vary dramatically to keep it interesting)
    Veggies and some kind of dip and string cheese for pm snack, sometimes another serving of fruit

Plus, I always have a protein bar on hand for emergencies as well as a stash of individually wrapped Ghiradelli dark chocolate caramel sea salt squares and a jar of natural PB and flax/corn/rice cakes in my desk drawer.

Occasionally leftovers will replace that salad, depending on what we have.
  • audaleee
    audaleee Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm pretty lucky as my workplace provides hot breakfasts/cereal/yoghurt/fruit etc and we have hot food and a salad/sandwich bar at lunch time. I usually have a salad and/or soup but will sometimes prepare quinoa and roast veg for the week and have that with smoked salmon or a boiled egg.
  • Nancy_CM
    Nancy_CM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good idea! I bet I can. I bet I could even get some co-workers to go in on the cost of it, as we'd all benefit from being able to bring in better options. Thanks!!

We do have a cafeteria here, as well. So the times I have chosen to get something else, I can make proper choices from the hot or salad bar... I just have to steer clear of the Chinese and Mexican stations. :-)
  • BadWolfArianna
    Options
    Depending on what your leftovers are, its really hard to reheat. I did read a 'Cook this, not That' cookbook thing that had a few pages dedicated to reheating leftovers. Safe to say, zapping in the microwave isn't your best bet. Toaster ovens usually are, soupy type things reheat better on a stove, and you have to keep certain things separate, like lettuce, until you want to eat, otherwise things get soggy and kinda icky.

• HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have...
    Breakfast: Two boiled eggs
    Morning snacks: A protein and fruit smoothie
    Lunch: Steak Salad
    Afternoon snack: Tuna in chipotle ans a few crackers
    Munchie Defense: Almonds and one square of Dove dark chocolate

Yeah my lunch box i more like a mini cooler...
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    1. Turkey or lowfat salami sandwich, or homemade soup when I have it. (250-350 calories)
    2. Cheese stick (60 calories)
    3. 150-200 calories of nuts or trail mix
    4. Fruit or carrot sticks. (50-150 calories)
    5. Seltzer water.
    6. Greek yogurt and fruit for breakfast. (200-300 calories)

I eat this about 75% of days. Sometimes I add 150 calories of chocolate as a snack in the afternoon.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Today I brought:
    Leftover breakfast casserole (breakfast)
    Leftover beans, chicken, peppers, onions stuff (lunch)
    pineapples and grapes and 2 hard boiled eggs (snacks)

That adds up to about 1000 calories. I always eat dinner and a large evening snack at home.

I prep a lot of extra food on the weekends to last me through the week :)
  • tayjenks08
    tayjenks08 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I usually pack

a salad
    Grilled turkey patty or Grilled/baked chicken
    Almonds
    Fruit/veggies
    100 cal popcorn bag
    water bottle
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Today:

Breakfast - Pineapple Greek Yogurt with one cup blueberries mixed in - 243 calories
    Mid-morning snack - 2 pieces Sara Lee Delightful Multigrain bread, toasted, with one mashed avocado - 274 calories
    Lunch - 2 cups spinach, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cucumber, chicken breast, and fat free italian dressing - 193 calories
    Mid-afternoon snack - Life Choice protein bar - 210 calories

With my workouts, I still have 1300 calories for dinner and after.
  • BadWolfArianna
    Options
    I usually pack my boyfriend's lunch box for him to take. I don't know if he'd be able to pack it even if he would wake up when I first go get him up haha.
    I've begun to measure everything for him, so he can keep an eye on his calorie intake (RE I actually input everything on his MFP account haha) but I'm looking for an option that is NOT a sandwich.
    He is a truck driver for in town routes. He normally has no access to a toaster oven/microwave/stove of any sorts. He has to do a lot of sitting, but he does have to get out and open the trailer doors, swing the thingie around that helps him unhook the truck from trailer and such, so he's not LAZY but just harder to work the calories off at work. (there's also a bathroom issue, but I don't think this is the place for that particular)
    We want to cut down on the bread as much as possible, and he hardly eats the sandwiches anymore. I need something easily measured and tasty for a picky eater. He's not a fan of tacos, so I'm not sure about that kind of thing, but it could just be the ground beef stuff (spicy ick) I'm thinking I can try him with some hummus.
    On a regular day, I pack him a cup of carrots, two cups watermelon, and two cups grapes to go with the sandwich, as well as 2 cups of romaine lettuce, 2.5 servings of the light salad ranch. So he gets a good deal of fruits/veggies... just something else.
    Thanks for listening to my rambling...
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have been making a ton of recipes from Emilybites.com and she has the best sized, most delicious food ever. I usually try to make two of the recipes on the weekend and then I freeze the portions in my fridge and just grab one out of there on my way out the door in the morning. I love a good protein shake in the morning with a whole banana in it. I'm usually thirsty first thing in the morning so it's a good time to get 4 glasses of water in on my commute to work.

Good news is, all of Emily Bites recipes are already in MFP and they are also Weight Watchers Friendly. I'm a big fan!! Although cooking and storing things in the freezer are a little time consuming, it's a lot of fun and better than sitting on the couch on the weekends.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I pack 2 snacks and a lunch to take to work. Normally they include the following:

Morning Snack:

1/2 - 3/4 cup of greek yogurt
    fruit - now that it's summer I'll make a box of fruit; 6-8 strawberries, 6-8 cherries, 1/2 peach, 1/2 orange
    Sometimes Apple sauce

Lunch:
    Almost always bring leftovers from supper the night before (or 2 nights before so I don't feel like I eat the same thing over and over again). Includes protein, 1 or 2 veggies, and usually a starch like rice/potato/pasta.

Afternoon Snack:
    I mix this up, but it usually includes some raw veggie like snap peas, or mini carrots, celery sticks.
    Sometimes I bring hummus, or garden herb cream cheese to dip.
    I also like to have either 1/3 or 1/4 cup of mixed nuts/trail mix, or a granola bar.
  • eileenm777
    eileenm777 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do the 'salad in a jar' thing - I get three or four ready for the week (sometimes with quinoa, beans, or a hard-boiled egg). Usually two fruits, as well.