Midway progress

Options
sphyxy
sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
This is my first progress post since joining MFP. I guess some history first with a comparison picture following.

Growing up I was always average weight. I was always the tallest of my friends but never skinny. In middle school my friends wanted me to join cheerleading with them but I always thought I was too fat (which was not the case, looking back now). When I was 15 I had my first run in with feeling blue. My doctor told me to start seeing a psychologist so I did. I was put on Paxil and diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. When the medication wasn't working very well they decided to increase the dosage rather than try another medication. I was taking 100mg a day from age 15-16 (and was later told normal adult dosage is around 30mg). I don't remember 10th grade because I was pretty much an overly medicated zombie. I also gained 100 pounds in 11 months. I guess my parents didn't seem to notice but luckily my family doctor did. I was taken off Paxil and signed up for Weight Watchers at age 17 and was unsuccessful.

I remained overweight since then and when I was in a relationship in my early 20's we had issues. I started counseling again and was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder (which was really just depression and my "episodes" that they thought related to bipolar was really just me coping with an emotional and mentally abusive relationship). I gained another 75 pounds on Depakote, which did nothing for me since I wasn't bipolar.

So that relationship ended 4 years ago and instead of doing anything about it I wallowed around in self pity and the painful acceptance that I was going to be fat, miserable, and unhealthy for the rest of my life.

Last February (2012) I decided to see a nutritionist with zero expectations of her helping me any. I met with her and she told me a bunch of things I already knew that I didn't think I could do. After shutting off my pessimism I really started listening to what she was telling me about portion control and calories and realized that maybe I could do this. Right before I left, she said "Oh! Just in case this is all too much, please just do one thing for me. Download this app, use it for 2 weeks, and tell me what you think at our next visit". That app was MFP. I downloaded it as soon as I got home and started using it immediately.

I think the first day of tracking was the most painful for me. Not because it was a hassle, but because I saw how many empty and hidden calories I was really consuming. It was such an eye opener! I ended up cutting out all soda (I used to go through a bottle of Sprite Zero a day, at least) which was huge for me.

I cut out red meat years ago when I was diagnosed with high cholesterol at 25(!!). Last May I went vegetarian (later vegan) for ethical reasons, but it has certainly helped with my weight loss (please no flame wars about my daily diet). I eat things now that I have never eaten in my 30 years of life. I LOVE sweet potatoes, zuchinni, squash (all of it!), onions, mushrooms and spinach. I have tried grains I didn't even know existed, cook more than I have my whole life, and actually enjoy food rather than sadly shovel it into my mouth.

I have inspired my mother, aunt, uncle and cousin to take their health into their own hands and they have all started their own diet and exercise routines. I still try to explain to them that I am not on a diet, but they cannot grasp that! Either way, they have all lost between 5 and 35 pounds themselves through hard work and it's my doing. I have inspired coworkers to start using MFP as well. I am so thankful for this website/app/life tool that it goes beyond words. It's the first time in my life I have control of things.

I do not track as often and consistently as I have in recent months but a lot has been going on. I still use it when I can and I LOVE the recipe tool. It is a life saver.

I reached 70 pounds lost (my tracker isn't working properly right now for some reason) this week and I bought my first pair of jeans in a year. I was tired of pulling up my pants all the time. I still have a long way to go, but I finally feel the effects of what I have lost so far and I feel amazing.

So my advice to anyone just signing up is to go for it. When I joined, I spent a good 5 hours looking through the success stories and BAWLING my eyes out. So many amazing people, so many rough, hard, painful, upsetting, rewarding journeys. Start on your own journey, take control, and live an amazing life. You all can do this. Everyone. Be a superstar!

So here is my midway progress pic, from 339 pounds down to 265. My goal is to be under 200. A specific number is not important. I have no idea where I want to be except in ONEderland. I will make it and I can't wait!

sH0r0TB.jpg

I was making a dumb EEEE! face so that's why the star, sorry.

Here's a 50 pound progress face picture, from my DL and work ID
QUcyZm4.jpg

and a happy me!
79fMJbP.jpg
(I am 30 years old, 5'9¾ and 265 pounds)

Replies

• hisirishwench
    Options
    great job, keep up the good work! you look fantastic!! and I would have appreciated the face!!!
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Man, good for you. You deserve it!
  • sphyxy
    Options
    great job, keep up the good work! you look fantastic!! and I would have appreciated the face!!!

Added a face comparison for you :P

Thank you (:
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    IMHO The clothes you've tried on in your recent picture could be smaller! You look fan-freaking-tastic
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You look so good! In that last picture, you do not look 30 - I would put you at 25-26.
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    ReinaJaLaNa Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job - good for you!
  • autopilot_on
    autopilot_on Posts: 388
    Options
    Great job. And I'm still freaking out about your profile pic, it's AWESOME!!!
  • dolphinie13
    dolphinie13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your succes, and I wish you more in the future. I think you're an amazing person to overcome your difficulties. I can relate to the medication issues. It's very difficult to find something that works, and sometimes it's even harder to find a dr that is not a quack.
  • BeautifulByChoice
    Options
    Such a big difference! Keep it up! You are looking great!
  • sphyxy
    Options
    Man, good for you. You deserve it!

Thank you, and thanks for being an awesome support buddy (:
  • sphyxy
    Options
    IMHO The clothes you've tried on in your recent picture could be smaller! You look fan-freaking-tastic

They didn't have the jeans in a smaller size but they fit better than any of my other pairs I already owned so I picked them up! Thanks so much :D
  • sphyxy
    Options
    You look so good! In that last picture, you do not look 30 - I would put you at 25-26.

That's what everyone says and I will take it. I don't want to look 30 and I don't feel 30 at all (: You're too kind!
  • sphyxy
    Options
    Great job. And I'm still freaking out about your profile pic, it's AWESOME!!!

I am quite the Star Wars enthusiast, as I see you are too. Thanks, and you are awesome as well sir!
  • sphyxy
    Options
    Congratulations on your succes, and I wish you more in the future. I think you're an amazing person to overcome your difficulties. I can relate to the medication issues. It's very difficult to find something that works, and sometimes it's even harder to find a dr that is not a quack.

I have been so skeptical of physicians ever since and I am finally comfortable with my current family doctor. When I relapse he puts me back on Welbutrin, which is the only thing that has ever worked for me and does not make me gain weight. It feels so good to know I can handle my depression when it comes back and I don't have to worry about being incorrectly diagnosed or gaining a bunch of weight!
  • TattedCharli
    TattedCharli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Very motivating!! You look GREAT!!
  • sphyxy
    Options
    Awesome!! Very motivating!! You look GREAT!!

Thanks so much!
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story! You look great and I'm sure you feel that way too. Congrats to you on making the changes that will add years to your life.

WTG!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!