Losing Motivation :(

Options
Since the beginning of February I have lost 23 pounds and I would like to lose another 27 by the end of the year, but I have seemed to plateau and it's slowed me down. So I have lost some of my motivation any advice on how to get it back into gear so to speak?

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    A plateau after successful weight loss usually means that what was working before ain't working now. Time for a re-assessment. Recalculate your TDEE, macros etc to help get the process back into gear.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at this site...
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=FemaleTransformation
    There are some super inspiring stories in here. I like how they give a snapshot of the diet/workout routine of the featured girl. There are SO many people who lost an amazing amount of weight and built a lot of muscle... I am motivated just reading their stories. Helps me stay focused to know that others have done it
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I hit plateau 8 weeks in - i upped my calories and now the weight is flying off again. I lost 2.2 this week, i'm only set to lose .8 a week, but some weeks are better than others.

People are like "how did you increase your food but you still lost weight?" I have no idea, but it worked for me. Are you going off what MFP says or are you doing TDEE?
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've come to a standstill, but I've decided to keep on going. Sometimes it takes a little longer. Maybe if it's even in a month and you suddenly drop 2-3 lbs....worth the weight.

Try taking pics and measurements as many people do in the same situation.

The scale has been playing mind tricks on me for three weeks straight, so I hear you!
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Why did you set that goal in the first place? You need to remember and then kick yourself for wasting time not trying to achieve the end goal. What works for me is the realization I am not out of danger of risk of heart attack. I cannot run a 5k yet. I am not a size 10 yet. So even though I feel great, am getting compliments, have gotten rid of tent-like clothes, I am NOT there yet. Summer is a great time to exercise outside of the gym and in more fun ways such as hiking, biking, gardening, etc. Also more interesting vegetables are available so try some new recipes. My favorite is picnic dinners. I have to backpack the food in and the food needs to be light so I have the energy to walk back out again! You CAN do this. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    are you losing motivation, or are you upset that it's getting harder???

start working harder.
  • Morgan_Mack
    Morgan_Mack Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the advice! I really appreciate it!!! What is TDEE?

I do think remembering why I started is a good motivation to keep going and I think reading about other people's successes is also super helpful.

I honestly I think I'm just getting bored with my workouts and need to mix it up some. It's not the hardness that's a problem because I do enjoy a challenge. I'm actually about to move to a new city and will be joining a new gym so maybe that will give me the motivation that I need :)
  • Smirfettewithmuscles
    Options
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. You can google it ; there are different calculators online.

However, if you are plateauing for a few months, see if you can think of it as a victory for now. You have lost and now you're keeping it off. This is a victory.
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    ????????????great job on your loss so far, I agree with all....I too hit a 6 wk wall! Make sure you switch up your food, work out , & machines....they say to " trick" your body".....I did eat more...don't know how the scales moved again??.
    Good luck????????