Half Marathon Runners?

Options
Hey everyone so I recently decided I want to run a half marathon, and I am planning on doing it in November. Anyone have any advice?! :)

Replies

• sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    well it would really depend on how much you run now. But the biggest thing is find a training plan, and stick to it!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone so I recently decided I want to run a half marathon, and I am planning on doing it in November. Anyone have any advice?! :)

Congrats!!

If you havn't already, get fitted for the right running shoes from a proper running store, and find a decent half marathon training plan..

good luck in your training and have an awesome race!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Same as the above poster! Find a good training plan - I used Hal Higdon's but modified it to fit with other classes (spin etc) I was doing.

If you're not running a lot now, you've got plenty of time - the main thing is to do one long run per week and slowly increase the length each week (by about a mile) until you get to 12ish (most training plans have you go up to 10-12), and then a few other shorter runs per week. Be sure to do some form of crosstraining (such as biking or swimming) and have atleast 1 rest day to avoid injury!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Same as the above poster! Find a good training plan - I used Hal Higdon's but modified it to fit with other classes (spin etc) I was doing.

If you're not running a lot now, you've got plenty of time - the main thing is to do one long run per week and slowly increase the length each week (by about a mile) until you get to 12ish (most training plans have you go up to 10-12), and then a few other shorter runs per week. Be sure to do some form of crosstraining (such as biking or swimming) and have atleast 1 rest day to avoid injury!

THIS

And congrats!! I just finished my first Quarter Marathon this past weekend. Felt amazing. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I think that is plenty of time to get ready.

- Make sure you get running shoes fitted at a running store.
    - Get a plan, and stick to it. Most like Hal Higdon's Novice or Novice 2, but there are others.
    - Warm up and stretch!
    - The longer runs will help you find out what chafes and then work to remedy it.
    - Work out eating before (or not), test you race day drinks and energy chews if you use them.
    - Have fun!
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Run your long runs slower than you think you need to. You'll burn yourself out if you try to run everything at race pace. It seems backwards, but it's true!

Have fun and stick to your training plan. It might seem like a good idea to run as far as you can the first week, but it's definitely not.
  • mlk8604
    mlk8604 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What is the "Road Map"? It sounds like something I need. I trained for my most recent half marathon at 1,350 calories per day and I agree that it didn't seem like enough. But yet I didn't know what to increase it to. How did you decide to eat 1,800 per day? Just curious :)
  • Morgan_Mack
    Morgan_Mack Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm really excited!! Right now I've only been running 5K's so thats my starting point to work up from. And lls8209 I don't think that's corny at all! I do the same thing on the calendar in my room I write down my workout and when I skip a couple days and look back I'm upset with myself for not sucking it up and just doing it even when I didn't feel like it.
  • april92377
    april92377 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I found the BEST thing that worked for me in running half-marathons was to mentally break down the course into sections. I knew that running a 10k was not a problem, since I usually train at that distance, so I just told myself to run the first 6 miles without worrying about it. Then I focused on just getting to mile 7, because then I knew I was more than halfway there. During miles 8,9, & 10 I just kept thinking about how close I was to double digits, and finally from mile 10 onward I kept reminding myself that I only had a 5k left to finish.