A Year and a Half Later..... (pics)

Options
kcaffee1
kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
I've been updating my old thread, but though that it might be a little easier to just start a new one, as the old one has gotten kind of long in the tooth.

It was January of 2011 when I noticed weight starting to fall away without any major changes on my part that snagged my attention, and sent me looking for an app or program to keep track of calories just so I could try to figure out what was wrong. It wasn't until December of 2012 that I actually took control of the weight loss/ health issues that were happening. Since then, it has been a roller coaster ride for me - sometimes better, some times worse - that has brought me to this point. When I started actually trying to take control of the monster that had erupted into my life, I figured I probably should have progress pics to go along with me, and help to keep me focused on what I was doing.

I have been through many, many different weight loss yo-yo's over the years, having been a rather stout child. However, family genetics have played a tremendous role in my ability to let things get out of hand without realizing just EXACTLY how out of control they were. So, when I realized that things were worse than over-the-top, I felt like the rug had been jerked out from under me, and I was standing on oil slicked ice. No matter where I tried to step, I was going to fall.

Many threads talk about an "ah HAH!" moment that turned things around for different people. I didn't get that luxury. I went from blissfully ignorant to panicked over night. The family tree has a nasty medical history on both sides. And in almost every case, it is an event of "everything is fine" one day to "you have XYZ" the next. No warning signs, no early warning symptoms, just healthy to sick.

Because I have written about where I came from here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/945297-not-done-but-over-half-way-there

I won't re-cover the same ground. (Though, you may have to dig a little to find the April Update)

I admit, when I posted my first "Before and during" profile pic, it was more in desperation than any real though of motivation. But, once the first one went up, and I had won past the hurdle of feeling like I was over exposed, it was easier and more natural to post the follow up collages. However! With that said, when the sweats were causing problems not just to the heat starting to set in, but also were actually falling off no matter how tight I cinched down the draw string, I had to face the same hurdle again. I faced it, and over came it with the collage showing the first swim suit.

No, don't go looking for the bikini shots - they are not there. I have worn a bikini a total of ONE summer, and never out past the front yard. (It was the year those frilly hot pant type short bottoms paired with a sports bra type top was the fashion) I could probably find a bikini style that I like, and would proudly wear it, but because I swim (a lot of laps) and do not like having to worry about bottoms coming off, I stick to one pieces. Even THOSE are getting hard to find, because it seems that one piece suits are either for the very young, or the very body shy. (And a WHOLE different kettle of complaints from me there!)

So, onto the fun part: These are the last 3 comparison collages

10h243s.jpg

ou4lxx.jpg

2nu17ag.jpg

Though things have slowed down for the weight loss a little bit, I am not at all disappointed. It took over 30 years to get here, and the fact that I'll be back down to a goal weight in by the time Christmas rolls around again is phenomenal for me.

For many of the common questions I have seen on the forums, I will see if I can answer them ahead of time:

How have you made it this far?

Because of the medical condition, I have had to make a radical alteration of my menu. I have had to radically cut back on my carb and sugar intake. This caused a large, short-term drop in weight as the body adjusted to the new menu, then the weight loss settled back down to a slow, steady rate. Since I love the foods I CAN have, I happily follow one of the many lessons I learned along the way from the yo-yo state diets I tried in the past - do not make any food taboo. The only taboo foods I have are due to medical considerations, not by choice.

How do you keep your motivation?

I have an edge with this - if I "fall off the wagon" then I get hit with medical complications I cannot afford financially, nor could I afford them scholastically. However, there are still days that I don't want to go out and exercise, or I don't want to do something I know I must/should. The thing I do to get those activities done is to just grit my teeth and get started. Remembering a quote from Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe "The fastest way to done is through begun". If there is something I REALLY don't want to do, usually school related, not health, I break it up into tiny pieces and just keep nibbling at it. 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there. Before you know it, it's done.

As I stated in the first post, I hope that what I have accomplished helps others to get to their goals. The road along your personal journey may not be easy, it may not be fun, but it is definitely worth it. Why? Because YOU ARE WORTH IT!

Replies

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    bump for motivation- Awesome job thus far!
  • hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! I feel inspired!!
  • missionimposs
    missionimposs Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You are one amazing Lady , Thank you for sharing your thoughts and photo's you must inspire a lot of people me included well done !!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ellen1188
    ellen1188 Posts: 12
    Options
    Great success thus far!

I also feel the need to tip my hat at your excellent writing style :)
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    great post, and well done :)
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Awesome progess!! Keep it up!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Well, we are right about at the same point. You weigh a few pounds less than me but we are the same height. Congrats on your weight loss. I just took my measurements because I wanted to see if we "measure up". LOL. And we do. I am not up to doing body shots, but here is a face shot from yesterday.

I did a before and after. I wouldn't have any pictures from my heaviest, but this is about a 60lb difference...Hope you don't mind a little hijack. I will be sending a friend request soon.

1116816_6821.jpg

6ba70f55-a90b-45f9-9f7b-7d061aab36e2_zpsad027a88.jpgHeather-95_zps385eb19c.jpg
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    Well, we are right about at the same point. You weigh a few pounds less than me but we are the same height. Congrats on your weight loss. I just took my measurements because I wanted to see if we "measure up". LOL. And we do. I am not up to doing body shots, but here is a face shot from yesterday.

I did a before and after. I wouldn't have any pictures from my heaviest, but this is about a 60lb difference...Hope you don't mind a little hijack. I will be sending a friend request soon.

1116816_6821.jpg

Not at all. Seeing that I'm not the only one just means that things CAN change for the better for many people. Congrats on your own success so far! You look fabulous.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    well done!!!!!!!
    Such inspiration on your journey to optimal health:flowerforyou:
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You have acheived some awesome results. Congratulations!!!
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    shameless self bump

It's that time again, but I still need to get the pics worked up into the collage. Should have them up tomorrow.
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    July update - Monthly narration can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kcaffee1/view/update-time-555018

Skipping straight to the fun stuff.

wbwa9v.jpg
  • zeusbella
    zeusbella Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up.
  • Aliviuum
    Aliviuum Posts: 67
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Really fantastic job! Excellent progress, congrats!
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    Self preservation bump - update day.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Wow, Kcaffee- you have done an amazing job with the sticktoitidness! You look like a different person in your face, especially.

....and blondegah, you look fantastic, too!

I'm 5'9" and I love seeing successful, tall women :)

1116816_6821.jpg

Not at all. Seeing that I'm not the only one just means that things CAN change for the better for many people. Congrats on your own success so far! You look fabulous.
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Doing awesome! Keep up the great work!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job. I have been at this only a couple of months so far and have about as much left to lose as you have already lost. Looking forward to the "after."

Thanks for sharing!
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    August's picture update:

2nkq73c.jpg

Narrative update:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kcaffee1/view/monthly-update-567406

OK, I'm lazy. Sue me. ::Grins:: Just didn't want to copy paste the novel, so be warned if you want to read what has been happening this month!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!