Low Sugar Milk Alternative?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Oat milk is nice.

But I'd stick with lactose free milk. It's not that expensive, and there are more useful ways to keep sugar consumption down that worrying about a couple of ounces of milk in a day.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    stick with milk and ignore the sugar content
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I use an organic vanilla soy milk. Only 6g of sugar per serving.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Kroger has Carbmaster milk
  • trudieobrien
    trudieobrien Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use SILK unsweeyened vanilla almond milk, 30 cals per cup and sugar free
  • Rose21461
    Rose21461 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a low sugar milk alternative myself; however, almond milk is a lot lower in protein than milk, so I guess it's a trade off. Perhaps on the days that I have protein from another source for breakfast.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a low sugar milk alternative myself; however, almond milk is a lot lower in protein than milk, so I guess it's a trade off. Perhaps on the days that I have protein from another source for breakfast.

The only milks that come anywhere close to cow's milk for protein are other animal milks (sheep, goat) and soy milk. Most others will have negligible amounts, and anything with a comparable amount is most likely fortified (especially if it's almond or coconut milk). It basically comes down to the source - most nuts are good because of their fat content, not protein.

Unless you don't worry about the phytoestrogens in soy milk, or the additives in any of the fortified non-dairy milks, I recommend either sticking with dairy milk and going with whole milk (the fat content helps offset the sugar) or giving up the notion of getting protein from your milk and getting it from other sources.
  • Rose21461
    Rose21461 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I actually do worry about the phytoestrogens in soy milk, so I guess, for now, I'll just have to stick with dairy milk. On the days I have off from work or go in later, I can get my protein for alternative sources; it's just very hard (for me) incorporating protein into a office-friendly breakfast. My problem in the past was that I skipped breakfast entirely and by the end of the day I had no energy and wanted to eat everything in sight. I check in with my nutritionist the beginning of the month, so I'll see what she has to add.
  • jamesmcnaught
    Options
    I read an article that stated Carrageenan which is found in the Almond Breeze Blue Diamond Milk has potentially a few health warnings. However the studies were only carried out on animal subjects. These show that this ingredient can cause a formation of ulcerations and cancerous lesions in the colon; as well as other potential effects. I use the Alpro Almond Milk which apparently doesn't contain said ingredient. There isn't much difference in nutrition and tastes just as good.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    If you have a Kroger or chain like that they sell Carbmaster milk which is low sugar, lactose-free and comes in vanilla and plain. It's expensive but is only thing my tum tum can handle. Only 60 calories for whole cup and has 12 g protein.