protein!!

Options
Hey everyone! Im really struggling to get enough protein in to my meals and snacks. Anybody have some ideas that arent high in carbs or fat. Thanks

Replies

• psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    bump. I'm getting most of my protein from chicken and soy nuts and always coming up short
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    I don't know if you've tried whey protein powder. The one I use has 30 grams protein per 1 scoop. Other then that there is as always, eggs, chicken, turkey, soy, fish, nuts...

Add in:
    I use MuscleTech Whey Protein Elite series. per scoop 160 cals, 1 g fat, 8g carbs, 2g sugar, 30g protein
    also, MuscleTech Whey Isolate Elite series. per scoop 130 cals, 1g fat, 1g carbs, 1g sugar and 30g protein

plus it tastes pretty good, especially the chocolate
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes, pure protein bars, boiled eggs, fat free cheese, cottage cheese, and low sodium deli lunch meats.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, skim milk, soy, peas, yogurt, and whey protein.
  • Reagster
    Reagster Posts: 1
    Options
    I have found that protein supplement powders are a great way to add protein to your daily intake.
    Some taste good enough to be used to satisfy a sweet craving also.
    Be sure to purchase the powders that are lowest in carbohydrates and sugars.
    Some powders are used for weight gain and they are high in fat & carbs and you want to be sure to not get those.
    The taste is usually great, can be mixed with skim milk for added protein and a good texture.

Also, chicken breast, cottage cheese and some lower fat or no fat lunch meats are also great protein choices.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Which powder do you use??? The highest one I have heard has 25 grams per serving. Iso 100

But yes protein powder is the way to go if you don't have enough calories to use on food (or stomach space).
  • ohdearyme
    ohdearyme Posts: 6
    Options
    i tried these the other day was really tasty! what are the benefits of eating more protein btw? https://www.bouncefoods.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=78
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    egg whites
    whey protein

tuna
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me on a high protein diet right now: Egg whites, ground turkey, chicken, greek yogurt, whey protein powder and more chicken! That's not all I eat but that's where the protein comes from.
  • msdjsmith95
    Options
    My staples are egg whites, nut butters, boneless skinless chicken, cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt.
  • GttnITtgthr
    Options
    I mix chocolate whey protein powder with plain greek yogurt, chia seeds and strawberries, it's actually pretty yummy.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    i tried these the other day was really tasty! what are the benefits of eating more protein btw? https://www.bouncefoods.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=78

Satiation, retain more muscle while losing weight, nutritious, tasty.
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    lean meat, fish, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, protein powder, eggs :smile:
  • SheilaHandler
    SheilaHandler Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to work out in the morning and then make an omelette with onion (1/2), mushrooms (1/3 cup), or zucchini (1 small), spinach (1 cup baby spinach) and two eggs. I use about 2 tsps of olive oil. The whole thing comes in at around 300 calories or so and is very satisfying. I would also recomend a couple of lattes, but I'm partial to them. I'm always way over on protein and under on carbs. And caffeinated.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I would find it very difficult to get the daily protein intake I'm shooting for without using a whey protein powder. I've recently discovered an all natural one that uses stevia instead of sucralose called 'About Time', so that one's my current brand of choice.... but, being "all natural", it costs a bit more than other brands. They contain 24-25 grams protein/scoop (depending on flavor) and only 100 calories total.

I also like protein bars for snacks in between meals. My favorite brand of choice there is "Think Thin". They contain 20 grams protein per bar and most of their flavors are in the 230-240 calorie/bar range.

Also, cottage cheese is a good snack that's high in protein... I mix it with fruit to make it tolerable. :)
  • angiecampbell37
    angiecampbell37 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I do have protein powder about once a day usually. Love cottage cheese, eggs, and lean meats too. I guess I'll jsut have to eat more of those things.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how many grams you are shooting for, but I generally eat about 85 grams of protein per day, and I don't eat meat, eggs, or dairy. There are plenty of ways to slip in some extra protein here and there. Here are some of my high protein snacks:

Tamari Pumpkin Seeds, 1/4 cup = 10 grams of protein (i buy these in the organic bulk section of my grocery store)

Raw Almonds (23 almonds) = 6 grams of protein

Organic Sweet Potato, Baked In Skin, (1 sweet potato about 5 ounces) with 1 Tbsp raw coconut butter = 6 grams of protein

1 Red Bell Pepper w/ 2 Tbsp Hummus = 5 g of protein

1 Multigrain Rice Cake with 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter = 5 grams of protein
  • Jorcel01
    Jorcel01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Im really struggling to get enough protein in to my meals and snacks. Anybody have some ideas that arent high in carbs or fat. Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you, struggling to meet my protein needs. I quit eating red meat long ago. I have been advised by my doctor to consume 50-60 grams of protein per day, but I despise most of the items contributors have listed here: beans, cottage cheese. I've tried quite a few protein bars/powders (AMP, Clif bars, Isopure, Pure Protein, Muscle Milk) which all have the same bad after taste. I eat chicken, fish, turkey, egg whites, and pistachios to fulfill my protein needs, but that has gotten old really quickly so I'm looking for more ideas or at least creative ways to spark up the taste without the calories. I've started making my own smoothies with bananas, skim milk and peach nectar in which I add multi-vitamins and iron supplements. I've also been researching protein supplements online, but haven't found a good one to purchase yet.
  • dixielawgirl
    dixielawgirl Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Quest bars. Low carb, high protein/fiber...easy to take with you when you're out and about.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    beans: Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans

fat free greek yogurt: Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label

peanut butter: Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein

nuts: Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams, Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams, Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams, Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams, Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams, Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

fat free milk: Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams

fat free cottage cheese: Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams

tuna: Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

chicken breast: Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein

turkey breast: 8oz serving provides 60 grams of protein

protein shakes: varies

eggs: Egg, large - 6 grams protein

quinoa: 1 cup cooked 8g protein

c22888e55e2f7f4929dcfe82f7ebf732.jpg