Avoiding Foot Numbness?

Options
So recently I tried the elliptical (I normally am all bike but I wanted to do some backwards motion while still calculating time---the elliptical does that) but I noticed about 20 min in, my feet start to "fall asleep" or get that prickly numb sensation. Am I standing wrong on the machine or just pinching nerves? (I do have spondylothesis, but the circulation in my legs is very good so its not poor circulation)

Replies

• longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    it's your shoes
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes. It makes sense since your foot never moves from the same position, only your legs are moving. Try popping off and doing a few jumping jacks every five minutes or so, or using a course that changes the incline so your foot shifts around a bit more.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Maybe your shoes are too tight.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It's your shoes :-) I struggled with this for a long time thinking there was something wrong with me, turned out that after about 10 minutes my feet were swelling and my shoes were too tight, duh me :laugh: Now I completely unlace my shoes before getting on it and they don't go numb anymore. I've heard of a lot of people with this problem so try loosen your shoes.
  • kburrows82
    kburrows82 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time I have asked the DR and she said it was from feet being in the same position for to long.
  • murphy612
    Options
    It happens to me all the time I have asked the DR and she said it was from feet being in the same position for to long.

Nope, I tried moving my feet, wiggling my toes, even standing on the edges of the foot thingy, it never changed. It's the shoes lol It could be the feet being in the same position and doing the repetitive motion for a long time causes the swelling, but not the numbness.
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have this feeling (or lack of feeling) in my feet and in my hands constantly.. in my case its been diagnosed as neuropathy caused by pinched/compressed nerve(s) in my upper back (I have two bulging thoracic discs). If you have a history of a bad back you might want to talk to your primary care doc and she/he might recommend that you see have a neurologist check it out further. (Just as a precaution).. you never know and its best not to take chances.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Maybe your shoes are too tight.

This, you shoes are too tight. Try one of these options:

http://running-n-walking.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ease-foot-pressure-by-lacing-your-shoes-properly-182168/
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I get it too. A few tricks I've tried to help lessen the problem:

-loosen your shoe laces from top to bottom to make sure you have enough toe room
    -once and a while wiggle your toes, get the blood moving again
    -and last, when on the elliptical lift your heels up and down like you are walking, don't keep them planted in place.

Hope some of this helps.
  • ArtLover26207
    Options

Nope, I tried moving my feet, wiggling my toes, even standing on the edges of the foot thingy, it never changed. It's the shoes lol It could be the feet being in the same position and doing the repetitive motion for a long time causes the swelling, but not the numbness.

Yep, as i was working out i was wiggling my toes to wake them up lol! I do lift my heels as another poster suggested. I've been needing new shoes anyways--these ones are old and not very supportive. They aren't tight though and I don't tie them extremely tight. Thanks all. Just more of an excuse to go shopping :D
  • murphy612
    Options

Yep, as i was working out i was wiggling my toes to wake them up lol! I do lift my heels as another poster suggested. I've been needing new shoes anyways--these ones are old and not very supportive. They aren't tight though and I don't tie them extremely tight. Thanks all. Just more of an excuse to go shopping :D

Yea shoe shopping!!! :-) Try doing the elliptical in just your socks and see what happens lol I never thought it was my shoes either and thought it was just silly, I knew I had some alien thing wrong with me hehehe (I'm paranoid) Good luck, hope you find the cause because I know how totally annoying it is when your feet are numb!!

Another poster mentioned she had back problem's :-( Hope it turns out to be the shoes.