New starter bit unsure?

stevepound
stevepound Posts: 28 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Ok so I'm a new starter to this MFP. I just want to clear up exactly how it works. It says my target calorie intake should be 1490 a day. All my food I have logged is also healthy and I have a bit of carrot cake as a snack with tea. Am I right in saying that as long as I stay within my daily calorie target, I should lose the projected weight of 2lb per week that MFP has predicted?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Yes, and when you exercise you should eat most or all of the extra calories back to keep your deficit to lose 2 pounds per week. Not eating them will cause you deficit to be lower and may slow your metabolism down.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    You are right on track!!!! Welcome
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Hello and welcome, and good luck to you
  • I think you are on the right track! Welcome to MFP.
  • stevepound
    thanks people!! up until last week i was eating a pack of biscuits a day plus cake in afternoon and sweets. So during this I have been limiting my rubbish food intake to a piece of carrot cake at my lunch time with a cup of tea, and maybe 2 biscuits with a tea in evening. other than that Ive been keeping within the calorie target set. Ok so im about to go for a run, and ive already had my dinner, leaving 250 calories. After my run im going to be left with around 550 calories today that have gone unused. So I have to then use them unused calories today? If so any tips what i can eat to use them up?

Steve :-)
  • A bit of protein, a bit of veg or fruit, and a bit of whole grain make a great snack -- eg, low fat plain yogurt with oats and half an apple or some quinoa with half a boiled egg and raw veg of your choice. None of that will take up your 500 calories, but if you know how many calories your run will normally burn, and if you plan on running a lot, build that into the calories you eat throughout the day (if that makes sense).

Make sure you drink water! Its one of the easiest things to do as far as weight loss goes!

Welcome and good luck!
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Welcome! With those calories you can have a healthy snack or save it for a rainy day :wink:
    I do that, like i exceeded my limit yesterday. But i have balanced it with today's :blushing:
  • stevepound
    ah wicked, thanks people!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Welcome! Everyone's given you some good advice. Just wanted to add - don't get discouraged if you *don't* see a 2 lb. loss as expected every week... many things can impact it, including sodium levels (I had a problem with this at first!), how much sleep you're getting, stress, etc. In theory it's calories-in vs calories-out, but in reality the body can work in mysterious ways sometimes! :laugh: Just keep at it and as long as you're eating healthy and exercising, you'll see results in the long-term.
  • stevepound
    ok nice one thanks for that info, ill do my best!
This discussion has been closed.