absolutly dreading the scale...

Options
I am so worried about the scale. I dont want to get on and find that i have gained weight!!! I know that would just discourage me.Would it be a horrible idea to wait for a few weeks until maybe i can tell in my clothes and then take the plunge?? Or is it best to weigh once a week... I weighed last week and again this week and had gained a few(6) pounds... I do believe Im gonna have a visit from mother nature... so would that have that big of an affect on my weight...??? This is so nerve racking. I wish I could just eat what i should and then exercise and lose the weight... this is tremendously difficult!!! Does anyone have any suggestions??

Replies

• mariposadedios
    Options
    Ugh, I have that same problem too! I always dread the scale because I have seen it go up sooo many times when I thought it would go down. If I know my time of the month is coming I don't weigh myself until the week after so I don't get discouraged, and my trainer actually told me that if you work out harder during that time you will lose more because of the water weight and all of that. Try not to get discouraged by the scale, it takes time to see the numbers drop and as you build muscle and increase your water intake you might see it go up or stay the same - I am trying now to worry about my health, how much I am exercising and what I am eating first and not focus so much on the scale, because if I do all that it will start to go down, even if it is stubborn sometimes ;)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    My suggestion? Don't weigh in. Just continue to do what you know is healthy and wait another week. It took 4 months for me before I learned the scale is doing me more harm than good if it doesn't tell me what I deserve to see. I weigh in less than once a week due to all the fluctuations and even then sometimes it pisses me off.
  • rlouise247
    rlouise247 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues with the scale...I still use it at least once a week but I also measure myself because even if I don't lose pounds, inches are a better gauge to measure weight loss. It could be you are building muscle which weighs more but takes up less space than fat. So maybe you should start to monitor your measurements too if you're not already. I fight discouragement everyday, just have to keep telling myself I didn't gain the weight overnight so its not gonna leave overnight. As for TOM, I also put on lbs shortly before and after, so that could also be a factor. Hope this is helpful, stay encouraged and feel free to add me as a friend if you like!!
  • sandradee82
    sandradee82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I went through a 6 week bootcamp at the gym and lost several inches. I have trouble actually loosing fat... I just worry that all the healthy eating isnt goin to show when i do weigh...
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I went through a 6 week bootcamp at the gym and lost several inches. I have trouble actually loosing fat... I just worry that all the healthy eating isnt goin to show when i do weigh...

You are not the first to worry about the scales and you definitely will not be the last :flowerforyou:

It is entirely up to you, however, if you do NOT weight yourself and take your measurements, you will never, ever know.

Look on your weight loss as a lifelong change, therefore if the worse came to the worse and you had lost nothing, just continue, persevere to the next week. If you had indeed, lost nothing, you would now know to try other things that would help you to lose.

However, if you have lost weight and inches, imagine how much of an encouragement that would be! There is absolutely nothing like a good spur on when the scales reading has reduced along with the inches, it is one terrific feeling, don't deny yourself that feeling.

Personally, I reckon you will be very pleasantly surprised if you were to risk jumping on the scales, ESPECIALLY if, as you say, the inches have already reduced.

You would not have reduced inches without some weight having come off xxxx
  • fletchbaby
    fletchbaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had the same fear this week , mother nature was visiting and I know I'm heavier when she comes, today is my weigh in day and i debated on waiting or not,decided to go forth and weigh in.....and sucess 1.8 lbs this week , weigh in but remember if you dont get the results this week its probably water retention and you will probably loses more next week.
  • sandradee82
    sandradee82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    well wednesdays are my weigh in day.. there was a 6 pound gain... so im praying next week it will be different...