Emotional Eating -- how to diet when seriously depressed?

Options

Replies

• salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    It is difficult. After 6 weeks of doing really well, an ongoing problem with family reared it's ugly head AGAIN and sent me right to the chocolate!
  • nnelson33
    nnelson33 Posts: 101
    Options
    It can be REALLY REALLY hard not to, but what I've had to tell myself is that eating is not the answer & also thinking about how much I hate(d) being overweight, usually makes me feel worse/guilty.

I would suggest getting in some heavy cardio, to the point of where you can't think about anything but your body hurting. Helps clear the mind!
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hitting the gym or even moderate exercise when feeling blue will help the blues and keep you on track and make it a bit easier to resist comfort eating
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Depression sucks and creates a nasty cycle of emotional eating. We eat crap, have an insulin response, then get depressed then eat more crap and so on. Add to that we often sit and watch TV or go on the computer for hours and you have some serious inactivity.

I am going to tell you what helps me. Reduce the daily junk carbs to less than 125 grams a day and increase your protein and fat to about 30 percent of your diet (each) so you don't have cravings during the day or at night. Nothing crazy like super low carb, but under 125 carbs most days...

Then get to the gym and work out the depression by moving your body an hour every day. Turn off the TV, get off the sofa and get involved in life. Exercise and activity are are the best things for depression. Don't get all hung up with what you are doing, just keep moving for an hour or more, even if you are just listening to music and dancing...or swimming or walking...move move move.

Depression is beatable but you have to WANT it gone. Chase it away. Far away, and understand the food choices you make do actually contribute to depression. People can tell you all they want that you can lose weight eating what ever you want as long as you are in a calorie deficit, but for most of us food affects our hormones and hormones affect our mood.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have had depression in the past. I would firstly talk to your doctor. Just talking to someone can actually be a step forward, they may suggest antidepressents. The next thing would be exercise...especially getting out in the fresh air walking, put some music that makes you happy on your ipod...the music will help you, and the fresh air will be good for you.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Omega -3, Vitamin D3, Magesium, Rhodolia and Lithium Orotate are supplements that help with depression.

A lot...