Dairy Free Milk Substitute

Options
So I'm trying an elimination diet with dairy to see if I'm allergic to it. (I hope I'm not, I love cheese!) Specifically, I think I may react to casein - I had a muscle milk late last week and my digestive system did *not* agree with it! Also, I've developed bad eczema over the past few months. Three days dairy free and my complexion is already starting to clear...

Anywho, I've been using almond milk in my morning cereal, rather than cow's milk. It tastes fine with Kashi Go Lean, but with Cheerios it tasted like... metal @$$... I'm not sure how else to describe it. It was creamy but the flavor was just... ick. (And yes, it was cold.)

I've already tried soy milk, and I think it tastes a bit chalky (the shelf-stable kind in a box). The almond milk I have is Blue Diamond original flavor.

Any suggestions on what a good tasting dairy free milk alternative would be?

Replies

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Rice Dream is pretty good.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like the almond breeze, maybe can can try the vanilla flavor? I also like rice milk.

Honestly though it is just a matter of personal preference and you gotta try them all to see what you like. Plus none of them taste like cow so you have to get used to that, too. These days I much prefer the almond milk to cow milk but when I first started switching over I wasn't convinced.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I Iove hemp milk, tempt is my favorite. It's much pricer than almond or soy but worth it! :flowerforyou:

Slainte!

:drinker:
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried "shelf stable" soy milk, but I've used the light soy milk from Wal-Mart (Great Value brand) for over a year. If I can't get to Wal-Mart, I'll get the name brand stuff. I get typically get the original, but the vanilla is good too.
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like Silk Light Vanilla - great on Kashi! Hubby bought Silk Light original and it was OK.
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    I like the almond breeze, maybe can can try the vanilla flavor? I also like rice milk.

Honestly though it is just a matter of personal preference and you gotta try them all to see what you like. Plus none of them taste like cow so you have to get used to that, too. These days I much prefer the almond milk to cow milk but when I first started switching over I wasn't convinced.

im with u, iagree 100%. i love almond milk now.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have found Flax Milk to be the most taste neutral (I get unsweetened) but it runs a bit on the thin side for me for coffee. I prefer soy in coffee. It may be what you are looking for with cereal.
  • 87Adrena
    87Adrena Posts: 2
    Options
    I use the "SO Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Unsweetened" . It is soy and dairy free and only has 45 calories per serving ( 1 cup serving size), and I can use it in my coffee, or when I bake as a substitute for milk. To me it kind of rivals drinking Skim Milk.
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll make a list and try them slowly :)
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereal,but I would use either Good Karma Flax Milk or So Delicious Almond Plus Milk. So Delicious Coconut Milk is tasty, but not as valuable. I also really like the Tempt Hemp Milk, but that one out prices them all. I use these milks in my breakfast smoothies.

Today's smoothie:

1 cup Good Karma Unsweetened Flax Milk
    2 tbsp Nutiva Hemp Protein
    1 cup chopped kale
    1 whole kiwi
    3/4 cup fresh strawberries
    1 medium banana

It was only 302 calories and packed with omega-3 fatty acids, 12 g protein, 42% Calcium, and 29% Iron!
  • AlexPie95
    AlexPie95 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try rice milk! It may not taste as good as milk but it'll be better in the long run.
  • AndreannaTamira
    Options
    I like Vitasoy Oatmilk, SoDelicious Coconut Milk and Australia's Own Organic Soy milk. Apart from the coconut milk you probably won't find the others where you live. I have noticed though, that with dairy free milk you do not only have to take into account what sort of milk you are having (oat, rice, hemp etc.) but also the brand. F.e. I have tried several different soy milks till I found one I like.
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love So Good soy milk (not sure if that's specific to Canada and I forgot to check where you were from before posting). It's the only non-dairy alternative that I enjoyed (and I tested a ton of alternatives). It's also non-GMO soy, so that's a bonus. :)
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've been using Blue Diamond Almond Unsweetened Vanilla. Only 30 cals per 8 ounces.
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am not a sit down and drink a glass of milk person but I LOVE cereal.

I have tried almost all of them and so far with cereal my favorite is Unsweetened Almond Vanilla.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am not a sit down and drink a glass of milk person but I LOVE cereal.

This is exactly the way I am. Milk on it's own? Not a big fan. But milk with cereal is part of the "experience". :smile:

With the Unsweetened Almond Vanilla I don't feel quite so guilty calorie-wise...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Water