Question about regularity (tmi?)

Options
I'm embarrassed to even ask this, but I can't find an answer online anywhere. Ever since I started eating right, I've noticed a major change for the worse regarding bowel regularity. I don't know what to do about this -- I'm eating PLENTY of fiber (20+ per day). Has anyone else experienced this? Any recommendations?

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Mine is almost like clockwork; I get up, shower, dress and eat, and before I'm leaving for work is when it hits me. Sometimes I'll have a second during the day if the previous day was higher fiber than normal, but it's one a day and soft; not hard like before when I lacked enough water. Not quite sure what you're referring to when you say you noticed a major change regarding regularity. Are you talking more than once a day? Not solid? If so, then you could possibly be intolerant of something (gluten maybe?).
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It depends what you mean by a change in the worse way. Do you mean more often or less often?
    A healthy person should be having a bm 2-3 times a day, but most people barely have 1 a day due to diet.

If you are eating healhy and are constipated, it could be due to the increase in fibre. Most people when they first make a drastic change to eat more healthy often experience bloating and constipation for a while, but it should even itself out in a few days.

Here's a website with some details, but if you are worried then its probably worth a call to your doctor to be sure nothing else is going on.

http://www.nexiumresearch.com/constipation_fiber.html
    I hope that help. :)
  • AugustApple
    AugustApple Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did you change your fiber intake all of a sudden? That my be why you aren't going like you used to. If you up your fiber intake you need to make sure you drink plenty of water/fluid. The water helps it keep it moving.
  • bitterbuffalo
    Options
    Hi! If you recently increased your fiber intake significantly, your body may be adjusting. Drink LOTS of water. Gradually increasing your fiber intake is usually recommended. If you suddenly increase fiber consumption significantly, you may end up feeling super bloated, uncomfortable, and constipated. I am not sure if this is your issue. :-)
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    If you up your fiber intake you need to make sure you drink plenty of water/fluid.
    This. In order for fiber to work correctly (help things move along) it needs water. If you don't increase your water intake with your fiber intake, it'll work the exact opposite.

Think of a pile of sawdust in a bucket. If you add only a little water to the sawdust, all you do is form a big lump when the sawdust expands and absorbs the water. Add equal parts of water to the sawdust and the consistency is a lot different.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have actually been concerned about the same thing. Though I just heard yesterday that after switching your diet, it's not uncommon to have irregularity.

My issue has been with being constipated. I might have a BM twice a week, maybe. I'm sure this is effecting my weigh-ins (for the worse). I've tried adding fiber-full granola bars, adding fiber to our fruit smoothies in the morning, taking fiber supplements. And no need to worry about lack of water; I've been drinking 70-120 ounces of water daily for the past 4-6 weeks.

Heck, I was so annoyed a couple weeks ago that I would take a laxative 2-3 times each week (and yes, I know that isn't healthy).

On top of all that, I've been particularly gassy (AND constipated) for the last 7 days. Not sure what's going on. But am hoping that it'll all settle down once my body gets used to some of the recent changes to my diet I've made.

Good luck - and if you hear of anything brilliant, I'd love to hear it!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It's a constipation issue for me. And, the thing is, I've had a high fiber diet for YEARS because I've been eating vegetarian, and even vegan, for a while. I guess I've upped my protein a bit recently, though. Could it be that?

(My water intake has been a little low -- more like 5 glasses than 8. I'll conscientiously up that for a while and see if I notice a difference. Thanks for all of the advice, it's really helpful to me!)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    princesslmc2, it could be that you're taking in more fiber than water so it's making you constipated and gassy. Ease up on the fiber and reduce how much your using and see if that helps.
  • mab0669
    mab0669 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have the same issue. Not sure what to do either. I haven't researched it much though, but if I find out anything I'll let you know.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    @princesslmc2 - perhaps try cutting out the fiber granola bars for a few days, I'm not sure which brand you're eating but many people (myself included) experience bloating/gas from those.
  • erinkate82
    Options
    I was having MAJOR issues with stomach pains and constupation when I started losing weight. It was so bad that I was lucky to have 2-3 bm a month! My doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist - my first appointment I was just told me to increase my fiber and to see him in 4 weeks and was sent out the door. My second appointment he gave me 2 types of meds to try and see him in 6 weeks. I was so annoyed that they were just masking the issue with drugs and not figuring out the problem. I started taking Papaya Enzymes (chewable) after my 2 biggest meals of the day and within 4 days I had more (healthy) bm's than the previous month. I have also decided to go gluten free for a month to see how that helps too - I have been gluten free for 5 days and I feel like a new person!

I hope this helps!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Like some people suggested, drink more water. Change of eating habits some times disrupt the intestinal flora., so it may take few more days for your body to adjust.
    You may have a mild reaction to gluten or mild IBS. Try to eliminate or al least reduce, your intake of bread, pasta, pastries, and processed food. They all contain gluten, and see if it makes a diference. Did you also increase your protein intake? Excess rotein can produce constipation too.
    I hope that you get better soon.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am pulling out the granola bars next week anyway, because they still have too much sugar. So we'll see how that affects the bloating and constipation too. Ha!
  • walla271
    Options
    Water, Water, Water!!! There is also a wonderful organic teas that can help move things along.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Some medications and supliments can bind you up also. I raised this issue with my doctor and he suggested that I start taking flax seed oil capsules in the morning before breakfast or at night before bed.
  • YessySo1987
    Options
    Definately drink lots of water if your having trouble with constipation drink at least 96oz of water a day.
    Have bran cereals, bran muffins, vegetables high in fiber. It can take up to a month to get regular BM which
    can also cause tummy aches unfortunately when changeing your diet.

Note- this is what the docs I work for recommend to our patients that don't have regular BM. I'm just saying from what I have heard and translate to our patients. Hopefully it helps =)