First Zumba class - so nervous!

Options
ckasap
ckasap Posts: 60 Member
I have done the Wii Zumba but my first with-other-people class is Wednesday! I'm afraid of flailing and smacking someone in the face, lol.

Replies

• dancer1178
    dancer1178 Posts: 50
    Options
    Don't be nervous! I'm an instructor and I would tell anyone trying it for the first time to just take it easy. Go in, have fun. You're not going to get everything right away but it should be repetitive enough so you get the gist. Def go back to a second and third class before you really decide if you like it. By then you'll have better understanding of what is going on and will start to pick up the steps. Talk to your instructor, she/he should be able to give you advice and motivation. Don't worry about picking up the steps right away, just feel the music and have fun. Make sure you wear supportive footwear. Bring water. Go at your own pace :)

Hope you had a ton of fun!
  • KatieEstle
    Options
    don't worry- i know it is easy to feel like everyone is staring at the clumsy newbie in the back row who doesn't have the moves memorized yet... but they are NOT! They are all worried about their own workout, remembering the moves, watching themselves in the mirrors, or feeling the exact same way you are! ;) Have a blast, and remember, even if you get lost, just don't stop moving and get that burn in!!!!! I LOVE Zumba- such a fun workout and zaps those calories! Enjoy!!! :)
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about anything! If you're nervous stand in the back, but from experience the front is where it's at! My friend and I decided to do Zumba at our college and it is a blast! Neither of us can dance at all.. We dance like white girls with two left feet! If you can just giggle a little at yourself it makes it so much more fun! The only thing to remember is don't let embarrassment stop you from moving! Just have fun and get into it and that's when you start to feel it more! =D I hope you have a blast!
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!!

It's so fun! I'm a dancer so for me the moves aren't necessarily hard choreo, but it definitely gives you a workout! I loved my class because there were so many people from difference walks of life and different ages!

It's definitely awkward at first, kind of like the first day of school... but you get to know the regulars in the class as well as the instructor. Just keep moving and don't be afraid to let go and make mistakes! Pretty soon you'll just be having fun and sweating it out! :)
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    First let me say that I am glad you are willing to try a class.

I know a lot of people like to be in the back, but I can tell you, the first or second row works for me. First of all, it is easier to see the instructor from the front.

And it is sooooo fun. Every instructor is a little different. If you go to one and don't like her (or his) style, just go somewhere else. But I find that I really enjoy going to the classes.

Be sure to let us know about your first class!!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    First let me say that I am glad you are willing to try a class.

I know a lot of people like to be in the back, but I can tell you, the first or second row works for me. First of all, it is easier to see the instructor from the front.

And it is sooooo fun. Every instructor is a little different. If you go to one and don't like her (or his) style, just go somewhere else. But I find that I really enjoy going to the classes.

Be sure to let us know about your first class!!

yes, i find it easier to be in the middle of the group or towards the front. Then when you end up having turn in all directions, you will always have someone to watch.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    it will be fun
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Don't be! No one is watching you. Go early and snag a spot in the back. It will take about 3 classes before you start to get the moves down so don't give up! It will be so fun. You'll see :)
  • Momma_bear_3
    Momma_bear_3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great!!! Just have fun and keep moving. I am always in the front row. We all just laugh when we get lost and nobody is there to judge your skills!!! I find the classes way better than the games and DVDs.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If you have questions, you might want to send a PM to one of my friends, JJScholar. He is actually a level 1 Zumba instructor and I know he is passionate about it. He is also a decent person.
  • lostgrl85
    lostgrl85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, just go out there and have fun. I'm the worst person in the classes that I attend, but I don't care because I love it, and one day I won't be the worst anymore. Each class gets easier as you learn the moves and become more fit.
  • vivelerock88
    Options
    You'll be fine. They always say in classes just keep moving, even if you can't do the exact move. It might be a bit difficult at first as you're learning the songs but don't feel like you're behind if everyone around you seems to just be following along so easily. It probably just means they come to class frequently and already learned the moves, they probably looked silly the first time they did each song too. Also, you may wind up recognizing some of the songs and routines from the Wii. I started with Wii too and moved to classes and depending on your instructor and the pace of their class you may actually find the class to be easier since you do have some experience. Good luck!
  • ckasap
    ckasap Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The class is tomorrow night and two of my friends are coming with me. It is a Zumba Toning class so I get to use maraca weights! I'm really excited because I love dancing, I'm just self-conscious of my size. But, hey, gotta start somewhere, right?